co-worker terminated

bigmistake

A co-worker of mine was terminated Monday. He was loading a truck and it was overflowing with packages.

The feeder driver hooked the truck and pulled out as numerous packages fell out onto the ground. Feeder driver opened bay door and told him to go out there and pick the S--- up. He willingly complied, jumped out and started picking up the packages. As he was doing this, a Division Manager walked by and witnessed this.

He was told Management had no choice in the matter, that this was a serious violation and was terminated. He has been with the company for 9 months. Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Does this matter warrant termination?

Cementups

Box Monkey
well the feeder driver isn't his boss and shouldn't have been giving orders and he shouldn't have complied, especially if he was in a place he wasn't supposed to be.

rushfan

Being a feeder driver-If i was the loader, I would have told him to get his fat ***** and pick the S$%^ up. Chances are the feeder driver never worked "inside" the hub. I still respect the loaders and treat them as I want to be treated. Just my opinion.

MechanicForBrown

Prblm found,part on order
It probably wouldn't have been a problem had he/she been trained in yard safety!
As far as the Feeder driver goes, He should learn some manners!! Only management should give orders, NOT drivers, loaders, mechanics etc..... But ultimately He/She should have gotten a supervisor and made He/She aware of the situation. JMO

A

anonymous6

A co-worker of mine was terminated Monday. He was loading a truck and it was overflowing with packages.

The feeder driver hooked the truck and pulled out as numerous packages fell out onto the ground. Feeder driver opened bay door and told him to go out there and pick the S--- up. He willingly complied, jumped out and started picking up the packages. As he was doing this, a Division Manager walked by and witnessed this.

He was told Management had no choice in the matter, that this was a serious violation and was terminated. He has been with the company for 9 months. Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Does this matter warrant termination?

Was this covered in his training or in a PCM? If not, he may get his job back. This stems from the PTer who was crushed a short while ago while cleaning up a haz mat I believe. The company ( and rightly so ) has really cracked down on unsafe methods in the yard.

A

anonymous6

It probably wouldn't have been a problem had he/she been trained in yard safety!
As far as the Feeder driver goes, He should learn some manners!! Only management should give orders, NOT drivers, loaders, mechanics etc..... But ultimately He/She should have gotten a supervisor and made He/She aware of the situation. JMO

I have had this situation come up many times. If i see a load is not secured by a load retainer or straps, i will ask the wall supe to put one on. If he tells me that there are none available, I will pull off the wall very slowly and then shut the door. if some packages fall out, i will pick them out myself. Part timers jumping out the load door is a major NO NO>

The feeder driver was wrong.

Mike57

I wasn't there , But I as I read the story , if the loader JUMPED down from the dock, and the Divison Manager saw him doing this . I could see why . I think the big thing is jumping out the dock door . It's a safety thing . Oh , I'm sure there are other reasons as well .
Just my 2 cents.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
The driver was definitely in the wrong for telling him to go pick the packages up. He (driver) should have told the sup in the pd and let him handle it. The loader was in the wrong for following directions not given by the sup and definitely wrong for jumping out the door. He's got a chance of getting his job back but it depends on the attitude of the company reps when he goes to hearing. Also depends on past work history, etc. Hope he gets back. Sounds like he was just trying to do the job a little too hard.

herbigharo32

The man was probably not yard certified and not wearing a vest. Also, he jumped off the truck dock. If it was me, I would have just told the driver to pick the packages up and hand them to me since he was yard certified. Is immediate termination without warning a bit harsh....YES! He should at most get a warning letter.

raceanoncr

A little more investigating from management should be in order. This was a C****** fire drill at best.

Feeder driver is also culpable. It is now (I presume) national policy for feeder drivers to visually make contact with people inside building and trailer before even burying the fifth wheel. Was that done? It doesn't look like it. Feeder driver is also supposed to bang on trailer side to alert anyone else that may have creeped in after driver walked outside. Was that done? Feeder drivers are also supposed to sound horn (such as it is) upon hooking. Was that done?

OK, as usual, I'll have to qualify this post by saying, "THAT'S WHAT WE HAVE TO DO HERE".