COD question

TG43

If I have 2 boxes for a customer (which appear identical) and say "1 of 2" "2 of 2" and one has a cod, can I leave the one without the cod amount? Been here over a year and was never told I couldn't do that, but I got a feeling it's leave both or none.

rod

Retired 22 years
Ask your center manager--every center is different. It wouldn't hurt to get it in writing if they say you can do it.

chris9834

My on road told me to release the package without the COD amount, he said shippers know the risk of not putting the amount on all packages. He explained to me they are trying to skip out on COD fees per box. Me personally I hold them until I have a check if its 1 of however many boxes. Unless there irregs then I will leave them lol.

ArcherUTR

I chose not to. Most around here seem to leave the others. If they are obviously of the same order, I could see person's refusing the one package with the COD on it the next day.

Afrocentric hair places are the worst (no racist).

clean hairy

The way it was explained here, 4 boxes, 1of 4 , and 2 of 4, and so on.
Box 1 has a COD, but the rest do not.
Instead of having to collect 4 Money Orders, only 1 is required which covers all 4 boxes. It is to simplify and speed up the transaction.
Of course, the rules could be different elsewhere.

TG43

Thanks guys. I did try calling a couple supervisors at the stop but they didn't answer. I will speak with them about this.

CHALLY9TX

No you can not. If it says 1of5 2of5 ect you cannot leave any without the check. Now if they all say 1of1 or nothing you can leave them even if all are from the same company.

Yes you can. Shipper needs to split up the cod. 1of 2 doesn't matter. Could be customer already paid for one box and decided to do the rest (other box) COD.

Last edited:

CHALLY9TX

The way it was explained here, 4 boxes, 1of 4 , and 2 of 4, and so on.
Box 1 has a COD, but the rest do not.
Instead of having to collect 4 Money Orders, only 1 is required which covers all 4 boxes. It is to simplify and speed up the transaction.
Of course, the rules could be different elsewhere.

You don't have to collect 4 money orders. You can collect 1 as long as all 4 boxes are from the same shipping account.

porkwagon

Multiple package CODs should have COD labels on each package. Add the amounts and collect 1 check is the ideal way. If a package does not have a cod label, it can be released.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
I chose not to. Most around here seem to leave the others. If they are obviously of the same order, I could see person's refusing the one package with the COD on it the next day.

Afrocentric hair places are the worst (no racist).

Not your problem if he refuses the one with the tag (old term) the next day. The shipper will have the last laugh however, because any future orders sent there will have a tag on every box and the rec. will have to cover all those additional COD charges. Seen it happen quite a few times.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Multiple package CODs should have COD labels on each package. Add the amounts and collect 1 check is the ideal way. If a package does not have a cod label, it can be released.

Enter all of the COD amounts and let the DIAD do the math for you.

If the shipper does not want any of the packages delivered without being paid for they need to divide the total amount by the number of packages in the shipment. The main reason they don't like doing this is because we charge $10 per COD and they would have to either pass that along to the consignee or absorb that cost themselves.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Here is a somewhat related two part question:

1. Suppose the consignee hands you a check/money order which is more than the COD amount(s) on the package(s). Are you allowed to accept it?

2. On the other hand, the consignee hands you a check/money which is less than the COD amount(s) on the packages(s). Are you allowed to accept it?

1. Yes.

2. Yes but only if the discrepancy is less than $1.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If I have 2 boxes for a customer (which appear identical) and say "1 of 2" "2 of 2" and one has a cod, can I leave the one without the cod amount? Been here over a year and was never told I couldn't do that, but I got a feeling it's leave both or none.

Suppose the packages became separated in transit and the non-COD package showed up first. Would you "future" that package until the one with the COD showed up?