COD question

upschuck

Here is a somewhat related two part question:

1. Suppose the consignee hands you a check/money order which is more than the COD amount(s) on the package(s). Are you allowed to accept it?

2. On the other hand, the consignee hands you a check/money which is less than the COD amount(s) on the packages(s). Are you allowed to accept it?

1. Yes.

2. Yes but only if the discrepancy is less than $1.

Yes, and explain to them it is up to the shipper if they credit their account for overage.

Nope, I get paid to get $x and that is what I am getting.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Ask your supervisor. It varies by building I guess.

I leave all boxes that do not have a COD amount attached if the customer cannot produce the funds.

Attaching COD charges to a package is a service add-on that costs extra. I cannot help it if a shipper decides they're going to be cheap and not do things the legitimate way.

worldwide

No you can not. If it says 1of5 2of5 ect you cannot leave any without the check. Now if they all say 1of1 or nothing you can leave them even if all are from the same company.

The UPS service guide is pretty clear on this. It states "Attach COD to each package requiring collection." That's whether it's a manual COD tag or a PLD COD tag. No COD tag = not a COD package/no collection needed so normal delivery procedures apply to any package without a COD tag.

1 of 2, 2 of 2 simply state the package is part of a multiple piece shipment but in no published UPS guide does it indicate one COD tag makes all packages within a shipment a "COD Package."

Stick to the UPS published guidelines.

ArcherUTR

Multiple package CODs should have COD labels on each package. Add the amounts and collect 1 check is the ideal way. If a package does not have a cod label, it can be released.

Agreed, but if there are 1 of 10 boxes and only 1 box has a full C.O.D amount for the entire shipment, what is the shipping cost difference versus putting a 1/10th C.O.D. amount on each box? I don't know the answer to this.

If there is a huge difference in price but only one check collected is needed, UPS should make this easier to do in the shipping software at a minimal cost, to show a C.O.D. on each package of a group shipment. That's just good proactive customer service.

May be they already have.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Agreed, but if there are 1 of 10 boxes and only 1 box has a full C.O.D amount for the entire shipment, what is the shipping cost difference versus putting a 1/10th C.O.D. amount on each box? I don't know the answer to this.

If there is a huge difference in price but only one check collected is needed, UPS should make this easier to do in the shipping software at a minimal cost, to show a C.O.D. on each package of a group shipment. That's just good proactive customer service.

May be they already have.

The shipping difference would be $90-----$10 per COD.

ArcherUTR

Suppose the packages became separated in transit and the non-COD package showed up first. Would you "future" that package until the one with the COD showed up?

But how in the world would you even know that there was second box with a C.O.D. on it unless the customer asked, "Where's the second box with the C.O.D on it?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

But how in the world would you even know that there was second box with a C.O.D. on it unless the customer asked, "Where's the second box with the C.O.D on it?

You don't and that was the point of my example.

How would it be any different if all of the boxes arrived on the same day and the consignee did not have the money? NM1 and deliver the rest of them.

upschuck

The shipping difference would be $90-----$10 per COD.
$12.50
upload_2015-6-13_9-31-26.png

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
No you can not. If it says 1of5 2of5 ect you cannot leave any without the check. Now if they all say 1of1 or nothing you can leave them even if all are from the same company.

WRONG! If the shipper wants a COD for any package they must pay for that service!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
If I have 2 boxes for a customer (which appear identical) and say "1 of 2" "2 of 2" and one has a cod, can I leave the one without the cod amount? Been here over a year and was never told I couldn't do that, but I got a feeling it's leave both or none.

That's a big yes. The shipper is saving money on COD charge.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
If I have 2 boxes for a customer (which appear identical) and say "1 of 2" "2 of 2" and one has a cod, can I leave the one without the cod amount? Been here over a year and was never told I couldn't do that, but I got a feeling it's leave both or none.

Your responsibility, is for the COD pkg.

That's it.

If the shipper wants a COD for any package they must pay for that service!

It's the oldest trick in the book, for shippers.

They assume the drivers are stupid.

-Bug-

oldngray

nowhere special
That's a big yes. The shipper is saving money on COD charge.

The shipper saves money but at their own risk. Notice how the cashier check/money order only COD shipments have a COD tag on every package? It depends on how much the shipper trusts the consignee. Not your problem.