COD question

ArcherUTR

WRONG! If the shipper wants a COD for any package they must pay for that service!
$12.50/package to collect 1 check is overpriced, UPS should consider an easier and more affordable way to divide up the amounts on each box.

On 8 parcels that's an extra $100.

TG43

Just some details about this stop...I had never been to this business before...it was a guitar shop. Kinda shady it seemed...not super clean like most guitar shops. The 2 packages were totally identical. The one had the cod in the amount of $1,100.00 They weren't big enough to be guitars. Maybe a banjo or something though? :) The guy seemed a little shady. I think he called somebody then asked me if I could leave the one and try the cod one tomorrow (It was Friday so I said we can try back Monday). I left and tried calling both of my supervisors, they didn't answer.

porkwagon

Just some details about this stop...I had never been to this business before...it was a guitar shop. Kinda shady it seemed...not super clean like most guitar shops. The 2 packages were totally identical. The one had the cod in the amount of $1,100.00 They weren't big enough to be guitars. Maybe a banjo or something though? :) The guy seemed a little shady. I think he called somebody then asked me if I could leave the one and try the cod one tomorrow (It was Friday so I said we can try back Monday). I left and tried calling both of my supervisors, they didn't answer.
So did you deliver the one that was not a cod? You should have. it's not your call to refuse to deliver a package because you think they might be shady. Fraud is LP's dept. Let them do their job. You do yours. That's my opinion anyway.

worldwide

$12.50/package to collect 1 check is overpriced, UPS should consider an easier and more affordable way to divide up the amounts on each box.

On 8 parcels that's an extra $100.

Overpriced based on what? UPS' primary competitor charges $12.50 per COD so that is the market rate.

UPS does have additional electronic COD services that could end up being less expensive for the shipper since they get their money back in 2 days versus a check in the mail that could take 7-10 days.

The shipper has to decide what's best for them - extend credit terms to their customer, offer credit card services (and pay a 2% - 4% credit card fee), protect themselves by putting a COD tag on each box of a multi-piece shipment, or just use one COD tag.

ArcherUTR

Overpriced based on what? UPS' primary competitor charges $12.50 per COD so that is the market rate.

UPS does have additional electronic COD services that could end up being less expensive for the shipper since they get their money back in 2 days versus a check in the mail that could take 7-10 days.

The shipper has to decide what's best for them - extend credit terms to their customer, offer credit card services (and pay a 2% - 4% credit card fee), protect themselves by putting a COD tag on each box of a multi-piece shipment, or just use one COD tag.
i'm just trying to decide what's best for keeping shipper accounts with UPS and my pension still being there when I retire. But I digress.

CHALLY9TX

Or the consignee has decide what's best for them. They can always decide to prepay for the shipment. Or not and the shipper passes along the extra COD cost to the consignee.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had a customer who used to get a lot of COD's. I was able to convince her to open up a credit card account that has a rewards program. She uses that and pays off the balance in full each month.

Last edited:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
COD's going to the county fair when we used to accept cash were the worst of all.

The first year I delivered the fair, I was covering the route and had to drive around the fairgrounds hunting consignees down, and got shorted 20 bucks one day.

The next year, it was my route, I changed the rules and made all the carnies meet me at the front gate first thing in the morning, and was much more vigilant. I made an extra 60 bucks that week.

Last edited:

oldngray

nowhere special
The first year I delivered the fair, I was covering the route, and got shorted 20 bucks one day.

The next year, it was my route, I changed the rules and made all the carnies meet me at the front gate first thing in the morning, and was much more vigilant. I made an extra 60 bucks that week.

Those carnies are a bunch of thieves. You can't trust them.