COD's

brownrodster

I see no harm in doing it this way.

The harm is if for whatever reason something goes wrong (he forgets to get the check) it's his ass and possibly his job on the line!!!

When you deliver a COD package you have to enter the check data. If you have no check data then that's falsifying documents or dishonesty if you see it that way! If his center manager or sup ever decides they don't like him then they have an easy way to fire him.

Why leave the package???? Jus tell the peole hey I've got a COD get a check ready and I'll give you the package this afternoon! If they have a problem with that then oh suddenly they figure out how to get checks made faster.

This is a billion times worse than using cell phone for job purposes! This is dishonest and you can get fired for it!

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
I have one place on my route where I will leave the stuff and come back for the cheque. It's a computer place and there are only two guys who can cut cheques. Once in a while I will get there, haul all their crap up a flight of stairs only to find neither of them are there. So, yes, I leave it and come back at the end of the day. Why? Simply because I am too lazy to put all that bulk back into my truck. I have never had a problem collecting a cheque from them. Always waiting for me when I get back. All I do is I prerecord the stop at the delivery point and I complete it later in the day. That way, if something does happen wherein I can't get a cheque, I can always load up their stuff and take it back for delivery the next day.

Though, geez, I never really thought about how screwed I'd be if the building burned down.:blush:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I get so sick of the response to clearly bad looking pkgs. Yes it may be fine, but do I want to deliver a pkg, looking like it came through a football skirmish???NO. It could be a non damageable pice of crap, or it could be a limoge piece of artware, I showed one to my center manager tonight and his answer was, "so your loader is gettin better".. MUy clerks answer was, "if he dont care, why should we?" I guess he is right, but I still care.

govols019

You smell that?
Our center manager flips out if you show him a damaged package that was loaded on the truck. He makes sure it gets fixed even if it means they have to bring it out to you later.

Problem is, most of the time after the PCM he heads to his office and stays there until we all leave the building.

jlphotog

Plain and simple....If the box is damaged, don't even show it to the customer. Sheet as damaged and bring in at night.

We have been told we are not to do that. The customer has to be the one to say it is damaged. It's not our decision to make.

As far as the customer opening a package before it's singed for, not a chance. I once had a customer say, it's in my building i can do what i want with it. I replied, while it's in the care of UPS NO ONE can open it, and until you sign for it, it is still in the care of UPS.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
"I wouldn't do that if I was delivering to my mom."

My mom's the same way!

I tell them I only knew my mOM FOR 45 YRS, and not like I didnt trust her, but cya later. If you want me to come back call 1-800, and if I can I will, most likely I wont!!! Call your shipper and have the MO ready, problem solved. Even people who say "non comprende" or something equally ridiculous understand that. And the "ya know you are not the only pkg in my truck, usually worked too>Or I get paid to deliver, not to wait....................while you call the POPe and get an OK.

Griff

I leave all COD packages in the morning to my regular pickups and collect the check when I pickup. I don't see it as dishonest, it's called providing a service and saving time. That's the whole problem with UPS's philosophy on how the job "should" be done. I accommodate customers, regardless of UPS rules, there is grey area on every route. I don't live in fear of being fired, I'll never understand anybody who does.

Damaged parcels are almost never the preloaders fault. It's the management teams fault for putting too much work in the trucks. How do you expect packages to come out looking pretty when you're blown out everyday? I have to jump over and stand on things to get through my day, it is what it is.

Last edited:

over9five

Staff member
"I leave all COD packages in the morning to my regular pickups and collect the check when I pickup. I don't see it as dishonest, it's called providing a service and saving time."

I would never do that. I don't care if the customers happy. They can cry all they want. It's my job to work as directed. Happy customers are my last priority.

I do what the boss says.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
The sad part about the COD situation is that UPS calls people beforehand now to let them know a COD will be delivered that day. I use to show a little sympathy and come back later with the package if I had time. Don't do it anymore. They ordered the thing.......... they know its coming in COD. Get off yer butt and get a check ready or come find me!

People have no conception of the time schedule we are on. They don't like to have to redo their schedule but they don't mind asking you to redo yours. Same thing goes with apartment deliveries. I have two colleges in the town I deliver in. These kids can order more crap on Mom and Dads credit cards than you can imagine. Center is always messaging me if I can go back to redeliver. I finally told them not to ask me anymore. The kids know I am not leaving a pkg. unless they are there to sign for it. Nothing unusual for me to bring back 10 paid send agains a day.

satellitedriver

I leave all COD packages in the morning to my regular pickups and collect the check when I pickup. QUOTE]
It's cool that you have a good working relationship with your customers.
But, I have seen five drivers fired, by following your practice.
I guess, I am not a trusting enough driver.
I will not put that kind of faith into anyone when it comes down to my job.
PAX

VTBrown

I have one place on my route where I will leave the stuff and come back for the cheque. It's a computer place and there are only two guys who can cut cheques. Once in a while I will get there, haul all their crap up a flight of stairs only to find neither of them are there. So, yes, I leave it and come back at the end of the day. Why? Simply because I am too lazy to put all that bulk back into my truck. I have never had a problem collecting a cheque from them. Always waiting for me when I get back. All I do is I prerecord the stop at the delivery point and I complete it later in the day. That way, if something does happen wherein I can't get a cheque, I can always load up their stuff and take it back for delivery the next day.

Though, geez, I never really thought about how screwed I'd be if the building burned down.:blush:

Wow....you don't like your money or your job?

HazMatMan

Plain and simple....If the box is damaged, don't even show it to the customer. Sheet as damaged and bring in at night.

What is the definition of damaged?? If a package has an open flap with the original brown tape on it and we (UPS) do a tapeover of the flaps is that damaged?? If the corner of the box is slightly pushed in, is that damaged?? If the side of a large Pottery Barn box looks kicked in but no visible damage to contents, is that damaged? I would say to the customer the package looks damaged either sign for it or refuse it. (In a nice businesslike tone of course) I wouldn't take it upon myself to say if a package was damaged because the contents may be fine, then if the customer calls and says they never received their package and it gets traced back to you that you sheeted it as damaged but it wasn't then what?? Could LP make an issue of that?? Not for nothing (I speak from experience on this issue) Sometimes the drivers take this damaged package thing way too far. The package has a slight crush to it or a slight tear and it winds up in my damage work area. Or the flaps are open and a driver takes a black crayon and writes in big letters FALLOUT on the box..
89, I am not bashing you on your response so please don't take it personally. Thank-You..

Just Lurking

What is the definition of damaged?? If a package has an open flap with the original brown tape on it and we (UPS) do a tapeover of the flaps is that damaged?? If the corner of the box is slightly pushed in, is that damaged?? If the side of a large Pottery Barn box looks kicked in but no visible damage to contents, is that damaged? I would say to the customer the package looks damaged either sign for it or refuse it. (In a nice businesslike tone of course) I wouldn't take it upon myself to say if a package was damaged because the contents may be fine, then if the customer calls and says they never received their package and it gets traced back to you that you sheeted it as damaged but it wasn't then what?? Could LP make an issue of that?? Not for nothing (I speak from experience on this issue) Sometimes the drivers take this damaged package thing way too far. The package has a slight crush to it or a slight tear and it winds up in my damage work area. Or the flaps are open and a driver takes a black crayon and writes in big letters FALLOUT on the box..
89, I am not bashing you on your response so please don't take it personally. Thank-You..

HazMatMan, Only problem is that 1989 position is the official company statement on damages. It was even a national level PCM to be given three weeks ago according to upsers.com. It was given in our center.

Common sense goes a long away unless your employed at UPS. (thats a jab at all of us - not just you):)

I consider a damaged package something you can't tape and make presentable. (Like those accordion looking parcels) If the box still looks terrible after a tape job then I sheet as damaged. Give it to the clerk at night, if there is no damage to the product the clerk should rebox it. I'll deliver it the next day.

In your Pottery Barn example I may sheet as damaged. There could be a piece or two missing and needs to be inspected. I don't write fallout on it unless I know for sure something is missing. Keep in mind when you sheet as damaged you arn't also refusing the package.

You should fear LP if you deliver a box and there was a fall out, not if you didn't deliver it. I had one last week going to Sears it had about a 6 by 6 inch hole in it. No cardboard to push into place and tape over. Turns out there was no fallout. (box of dvd s) After the the clerk inspected it she reboxed it and was delivered the next day. The customer could have filed a claim saying a few dvd s were missing because of the hole.

upsgrunt

They can't file a claim without proof of loss. In other words, just because there is a hole in the box doesn't mean something is missing- they need to show what wasn't inside was supposed to be.

They can't file a claim without proof of loss. In other words, just because there is a hole in the box doesn't mean something is missing- they need to show what wasn't inside was supposed to be.

How do people show proof of a fallout? UPS can't prove it was in there when the box was delivered. That's why they want to keep control over the box to reduce claims.

HazMatMan

I consider a damaged package something you can't tape and make presentable. (Like those accordion looking parcels) If the box still looks terrible after a tape job then I sheet as damaged. Give it to the clerk at night, if there is no damage to the product the clerk should rebox it. I'll deliver it the next day.

In your Pottery Barn example I may sheet as damaged. There could be a piece or two missing and needs to be inspected. I don't write fallout on it unless I know for sure something is missing. Keep in mind when you sheet as damaged you arn't also refusing the package.

You should fear LP if you deliver a box and there was a fall out, not if you didn't deliver it. I had one last week going to Sears it had about a 6 by 6 inch hole in it. No cardboard to push into place and tape over. Turns out there was no fallout. (box of dvd s) After the the clerk inspected it she reboxed it and was delivered the next day. The customer could have filed a claim saying a few dvd s were missing because of the hole.

We need more drivers like you in my building, ones who uses common sense.

Cole

If the box isn't damaged, then you know they will pay, so rather than making a big deal it's let e'm open it, as in your case because the son went to get the check.