COLA

Logb17

Deflation precedes hyperinflation. I don't believe we are in a deflationary period right now. Gold and Silver prices have stopped in their tracks, but cost of living is going up. Everything is getting more expensive.

Yes, it is a joke that food and fuel don't count. It is just a way for the federal reserve to make its numbers look better. Just like the unemployment numbers are fudged.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yes, it is a joke that food and fuel don't count. It is just a way for the federal reserve to make its numbers look better. Just like the unemployment numbers are fudged.

Just curious do we get a cola raise based on the governments inflation or does what our raise come from include food and energy. USDA just announced they expect food prices to go up 5% because of the drought that's a serious amount. It is a joke they don't include food or energy these two things prob make up 50% or more of most families budgets.

JonFrum

Article 33 requires that the Cost Of Living Index rise about 3.5% from May of one year to May of the next year before we are entitled to a COLA on August 1st.

Of the three Cost Of Living Indexes the Bureau of Labor Statistics publishes, we are covered by the boldfaced one below, not the other two. It is not "Seasonally Adjusted." It covers "All Items."

The Labor Department stopped highlighting our CPI-W in its monthly press releases earlier this year. They still publish it, but it's not so easy to find.
- - - -

The Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U) increased 1.7 percent over the last 12 months to an index level of 229.815 (1982-84=100).

The Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W) increased 1.6 percent over the last 12 months to an index level of 226.600 (1982-84=100).

The Chained Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (C-CPI-U) increased 1.6 percent over the last 12 months.
- - - -
The Press Release is here . . .
Consumer Price Index News Release

The CPI home page that explains everything is here . . .
Consumer Price Index (CPI)

Tim.

Package Placement Expert
I got my vacation pay this week and I got $.47 cent raise! My wife is calling it a COLA raise, not a actual raise.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I got my vacation pay this week and I got $.47 cent raise! My wife is calling it a COLA raise, not a actual raise.

Pet peeve---$.47 means 47 cents. You do not have to add the word "cent" when you use the $ and .--your $.47 raise was most likely a split raise of $.35 and a COLA of $.12

bumped

Sometimes it is better to keep things to yourself.

What do you mean? Its hard to tell since your a smartass all the time. If you get a COLA your purchasing power has already been lessened by inflation. By not getting a COLA your dollar is still relatively worth the same.