Cold weather gear?

AlwaysChafed

Four layers isn't even cutting it - two pairs of long johns, a mid weight, and browns. What is everyone using for maximum warmth and mobility? I have a pair of RAB mid weight but the crotch hangs so low it's hard to getting in and on things. My hoodie is a little bulky as well. Looking for thinner/warmth materials. The cold seems to stay with me. Ugh.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Four layers isn't even cutting it - two pairs of long johns, a mid weight, and browns. What is everyone using for maximum warmth and mobility? I have a pair of RAB mid weight but the crotch hangs so low it's hard to getting in and on things. My hoodie is a little bulky as well. Looking for thinner/warmth materials. The cold seems to stay with me. Ugh.
Where are you alaska?

I mean how cold are we talking here? It may be a case of you have too many clothes on and are sweating.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
5 degree Midwest weather. Heat barely puffs in the truck.
Write the heater up in the truck. It's a safety issue if it should ever come a freezing rain or even snow.

I would say almost all of us wear cold gear or something similar. I have had some below zero days where some cold gear and a pair of gloves was all I needed.

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
I wear a base layer called Coldpruf, a turtleneck, and the uniform shirt. If it drops below 20°friend then I add a sweatshirt.
That works without any vest or jacket.
Same base layer for pants, then work pants. Good socks, tennis shoes and a pair of Neos Voyager Overshoes.

Milwaukee Winters

rod

Retired 22 years
Put a hunk of cardboard in front of the radiator---don't cover it completely (unless its like 20 below)---Watch your temperature gauge so you don't run it too hot. Don't be afraid to buy some GOOD long johns---not Walmart crap.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Some people just aren't good with the cold, including me. I get cold quick, just the way it is with certain people. If you got enough room in your pants wear a pair of sweatpants underneath as a layer also. Heres a word of wisdom, if you like me get cold quick and just aren't a cold person, next time you put a uniform order in get the pants way bigger than your normal size so you can have plenty of room in them to wear a lot of layers underneath and order the heavyweight trousers. I wear a normal size 34 waist but ordered a size 42( SOUNDS DUMB I KNOW) but trust me I have plenty of room in them for mad layers underneath( same with shirt size also). Better to have enough clothes than not enough. You can always add or subtract the layers as you need them.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Don't over dress. If you sweat, you will feel cold and clammy all day. Most times I just wear a zip hoody as a jacket. Wear layers and Jumpman was correct when he said to order pants a couple of sizes larger. If I may also add to order them a little short in the inseam as well to keep the plant legs dry. We are not out to be fashionable but to keep warm and dry.

Future

Victory Ride
download.jpg

MendozaJ

Very pricey. Very effective. Tom Brady made it popular in the NFL. A+ for snowboarding in any winter weather. Mobility, comfort, warmth, durability though, admittedly, I don't know how it would withstand everyday use. There's a 30-day satisfaction guarantee.

I can't leave a link. Google "De Soto Sport T1 First Wave Pullover"

Packmule

Cabelas polartec long johns, outfitter socks, a pair of knee pads, a cotton tee shirt, uniform, brown hoodie, UPS vest, UPS beanie, with a company ball cap expanded to fit over beanie with a hat light on the brim at night.
A good pair of insulated pack boots and thinsulate gloves.
I also carry a survival pack with coveralls, spare gloves, socks etc.
This week has been starting out below zero and rising only to about 10 before plummeting back to minus zero. And I go way out in the back country.

YellowSox

It's about 20 degrees on Wisconsin, just wear the undershirt, ups short sleeve, cutoff ups sleeveless vest, ups bomber jacket, ups waterproof rain jacket/ windbreaker. Then I just wear the long pants. My legs are normally fine, just need to worry about feet and hands

Bottom rung

I've found no difference between under armour and the knock off brands like champion. The heaters in these aren't good at all. Writing them up will do nothing but aggravate 1brownwrench. Acclimate yourself to the changing temperature.