Colorado,New Mexico, and Arizona upsers, look!

We've had 5 transfers (3 in 2006 and 2 in 2009), 2 off the street hires, and 3 in building hires with 1 year seniority in the last 3 years. Have 4 drivers retiring within a year and at least another 5 within 5 years. I just wish I could find a building with these kind of numbers to transfer to.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I know it's hot here but it's also humid! I know it gets hot out West but there is not much humidity so it doesn't feel as hot! I also like to drive in the rain! Am I weird for liking that? By the time i'm 50ish and I have a wife and kids I will have achieved my goal given I can support them well along the way! My main goal in life is to be happy!
There is a favored adage of mine when people say this. Go turn your oven on to 100. Stick your head in that oven for an hour and then tell me it ain't HOT! It is hot. Humidity or not it is HOT!

Cute-UPS-Man

We've had 5 transfers (3 in 2006 and 2 in 2009), 2 off the street hires, and 3 in building hires with 1 year seniority in the last 3 years. Have 4 drivers retiring within a year and at least another 5 within 5 years. I just wish I could find a building with these kind of numbers to transfer to.

What part of the country do you work in?

Cute-UPS-Man

There is a favored adage of mine when people say this. Go turn your oven on to 100. Stick your head in that oven for an hour and then tell me it ain't HOT! It is hot. Humidity or not it is HOT!

I have been out West (New Mexico) in July-August. It's still not as bad as it is here. I can't get from my car to inside a store etc.. without starting to sweat! Same with going out of the house and into the garage to leave I still start to sweat! It's ridiculous! I'd take 110 degrees with little to no humidity then 85-90 degrees here with 80% humidity anyday!

diesel96

I Currently live in Florida. I can't stand it here anymore (weather,environment,people) the list goes on!

As one of those people who live and work in Florida that you can't stand....C-ya :salute:, don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out...and do us Floridians a favor, don't come back in the winter, it's crowded enough as it is....

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
And now you, sir!
Funny how time slips up on you.
Ouch!:knockedout:

When you leave Florida, could you please take a couple of Canadians & New Yorkers with you? :happy-very:
A couple?
Haven't seen too many Canadians here. There are however alot of New Yorkers and Bostonians (if that is a word)!
What do you mean? Florida is southern Toronto! As for the Bostonians, please, take as many away as you can.:surprised:

Alright. What else do they call you besides Stevetheupsguy?
STUGnificent!

Cute-UPS-Man

As one of those people who live and work in Florida that you can't stand....C-ya :salute:, don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out...and do us Floridians a favor, don't come back in the winter, it's crowded enough as it is....

Don't mean to offend dude, by people I meant there are just too many here and 90% of them on the road shouldn't be driving! It amazes me how they even have a license!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The only suggestion you can get here is talk to HR again. Explain to her that you are moving and you need to give your 2 weeks notice. UPS has a policy not to rehire former employees, so you will need to make sure that on your record, that it says you left in good terms and are welcome back.

HR is not Julie from Love Boat. She is not going to set you up in other areas and make your fantasies reality. You have to leave on your own and reapply in the new area. All your senority goes to 0, so you will be at the bottom of the barrell. My suggestion is to leave and apply in the new area by mid-September for the yearly holiday run.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
The only suggestion you can get here is talk to HR again. Explain to her that you are moving and you need to give your 2 weeks notice. UPS has a policy not to rehire former employees, so you will need to make sure that on your record, that it says you left in good terms and are welcome back.

HR is not Julie from Love Boat. She is not going to set you up in other areas and make your fantasies reality. You have to leave on your own and reapply in the new area. All your senority goes to 0, so you will be at the bottom of the barrell. My suggestion is to leave and apply in the new area by mid-September for the yearly holiday run.
Who's Julie and what's a Love Boat?:surprised:

UPS Lifer

Cute, Unless you have 2 incomes Flagstaff and Sedona are not the best places to live. The cost of living is very high. There are other towns near that are better as far as the cost of living but you are looking at a commute time. It would be safe to say at least an hour commute. As far as I know my ctr is not hiring. We avg 5/6 drivers on lay off right now. I doubt very seriously if Flag is hiring but I can certainly ask.

Dill has the inside info, but from my perspective, I spent my career in SoCal. In my last assignment, I only was 13 miles away but spent anywhere from 1/2 hour to 1.25 hours getting to work!!! ... EVERY SINGLE DAY. AND I did not drive during rush hour!!! The commute times are nothing in Northern Arizona compared to a big city environment. Besides the scenery is some of the most beautiful in the world. There are a million reasonable places to live. In fact even in the resort town I live in now it is cheaper than everyday living is SoCal.

You should consider Prescott AZ as well. Prescott Valley is a nice area and has all the conveniences of big city living without the hassle. The climate is in between Flag and Sedona.

As dill said - just about anywhere you go right now you will be looking at operations that have layoffs but as soon as the economy comes back so will UPS. In fact UPS is a bell-weather company to indicate trends in the economy.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Dill has the inside info, but from my perspective, I spent my career in SoCal. In my last assignment, I only was 13 miles away but spent anywhere from 1/2 hour to 1.25 hours getting to work!!! ... EVERY SINGLE DAY. AND I did not drive during rush hour!!! The commute times are nothing in Northern Arizona compared to a big city environment. Besides the scenery is some of the most beautiful in the world. There are a million reasonable places to live. In fact even in the resort town I live in now it is cheaper than everyday living is SoCal.

You should consider Prescott AZ as well. Prescott Valley is a nice area and has all the conveniences of big city living without the hassle. The climate is in between Flag and Sedona.

As dill said - just about anywhere you go right now you will be looking at operations that have layoffs but as soon as the economy comes back so will UPS. In fact UPS is a bell-weather company to indicate trends in the economy.
Can you give the "cute" guy a reference?:wink2:

Cute-UPS-Man

Yeah, i'm not even gonna bother with hr in my building anymore! If I do leave it will be on good terms and I will make sure they put me down as rehire! Thanks for the input!

Cute-UPS-Man

You live in Sedona AZ if i'm not mistaken, correct? I like it there but it has kind of a weird feeling. I remember I was at the Petrified wood/Painted Desert gift shop trying to pick out a piece of petrified wood and asked a lady for her opinion and she started going on and getting all into it. Weirded my dad and I out. Then she asked where we were from adn where we were going. She then said "oh you're going to Sedona?" "when you get there look up and you'll see a ufo in the skyetc.. etc..". Then my dad and I looked at each other and she kept rambling on about the government this and that following us around the gift shop saying whatever. I'd really like to be in either Flagstaff, AZ ,Alamogordo, NM , or the Breckenridge Colorado area's. Vegas would be nice but I have my doubts about living there! I'm gonna play it by ear and see what happens. Hopefully I can get some hr info from one of the places out West and maybe call or email them directly.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

True Lifer. I had not considered Prescott or Prescott Valley. And again true about the scenery, but the tourists are a definate draw back. Speaking of scenery Lifer, have you taken the Red Rock Loop Rd yet? You should, it's a beautiful drive. Doesn't take long. I could tell you a certain rd to drive down for about 100/150 yds and you will see the most beautiful scenery. :happy2:

diesel96

Don't mean to offend dude, by people I meant there are just too many here and 90% of them on the road shouldn't be driving! It amazes me how they even have a license!

No offense taken... Dude.....but so far, you can't stand Florida, people in Az see UFO's and have your doubts about Vegas.....before commenting on another city thats not good enough for you, may I suggest a map of the United States, a blindfold, and a dart. Now that's playing it by ear....:peaceful:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
No offense taken... Dude.....but so far, you can't stand Florida, people in Az see UFO's and have your doubts about Vegas.....before commenting on another city thats not good enough for you, may I suggest a map of the United States, a blindfold, and a dart. Now that's playing it by ear....:peaceful:
LOL, Very good idea, I mean, you won't get much worse than where ya at right now, will ya?

UPS Lifer

True Lifer. I had not considered Prescott or Prescott Valley. And again true about the scenery, but the tourists are a definate draw back. Speaking of scenery Lifer, have you taken the Red Rock Loop Rd yet? You should, it's a beautiful drive. Doesn't take long. I could tell you a certain rd to drive down for about 100/150 yds and you will see the most beautiful scenery. :happy2:

I know what you mean about the tourists but I have to say this. I don't get the negative vibe from tourists that come here than the tourists I see in Maui. You know I spend a month there every year and I can feel the tourists dumping there emotional baggage and leaving it for the locals to deal with. It is a real shame. The only thing I see or feel from the tourists in Sedona is that they go brain dead when it comes to their driving skills.

As for the UFO thing come on.... I haven't seen a UFO since Father's Day!

:future: It's too hot for them right now! :wink2:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I know what you mean about the tourists but I have to say this. I don't get the negative vibe from tourists that come here than the tourists I see in Maui. You know I spend a month there every year and I can feel the tourists dumping there emotional baggage and leaving it for the locals to deal with. It is a real shame. The only thing I see or feel from the tourists in Sedona is that they go brain dead when it comes to their driving skills.

As for the UFO thing come on.... I haven't seen a UFO since Father's Day!

:future: It's too hot for them right now! :wink2:

Tourists going brain dead and losing their driving skills is not uncommon in Flagstaff and Phoenix as well. Very frustrating from our point of view. Here we are out there trying to get our jobs done and tourists think it is ok to just stop in the middle of the road and check out the scenery (this is especially bad in Sedona). :nono2: And compound that with all the 'elderly' (snicker) that live there. :surprised: