Votes: 1 7.1%
  • No

Votes: 13 92.9%

• Total voters
Why are you opening your mouth no one unzipped their pants
200w (26).gif

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
The package had already been accepted into the system, at that point any issue should have been run up the ladder to the proper authorities or other authorized person. You can't just go around opening up packages.
If a package is suspicious, sure he can.

Holydriver

Hi, I'm an assistant manager in Colorado and just wanted to get some thoughts on a situation.

Roughly around mid way into February a customer wanted to ship out prescription deodorant out to Las Vegas for a supposed friend of his. He wanted to ship it out Two Day Air so I kind of was thinking to myself that was kind of fishy. I feel like anyone would have just sucked it up for their time there rather than spending close to $70 just to get it shipped out. An associate of mines processed the package not really thinking twice about it because he was in his second week of training. So I took the package and opened it up to see if there was anything strange about the package just to make sure. Turns out the shipper stashed a little bag of hash in the deodorant, so doing my job I notified my supervisor because thats what we are supposed to do. This isnt the first time that we have had someone try to pull a quick one on us like that so I was thinking to myself that we would just go through the standard procedure of reporting it to the police because we definitely don't want that shipment going through on our record. My manager decides to then consult it with the owner of the store and the owner then decides to ship it out anyways to make it the Hub's problem (Distribution Center). Later that night the manager of the Hub for our county called our store and proceeded to cuss out anyone who answered the phone because it was now his problem and I could completely understand his side of the situation.

I have been conflicted with this for some time now because I know what our normal procedures are for something like this yet management still decided to bypass it and basically committed an illegal action. After this issue I have begun to question the leadership at my store and am probably going to switch to part time and look for work somewhere else. I have been contemplating on calling the helpline or placing a complaint online about the situation but I'm not sure if anything will get done. Any thoughts? (Sorry for the long post)
Snitches get stitches

browntroll

But what was suspicious about it? Shipping something 2day air is suspicious now?
he probably recognized the shipper as a hub part timer.
in my hub only management and clerks are allowed to open packages, anyone else can get fired. if you really had a problem
then call the cops dont open it and see drugs but ship it anyway wtf?. i would have just minded my own business.

worldwide

Hi, I'm an assistant manager in Colorado and just wanted to get some thoughts on a situation.

Roughly around mid way into February a customer wanted to ship out prescription deodorant out to Las Vegas for a supposed friend of his. He wanted to ship it out Two Day Air so I kind of was thinking to myself that was kind of fishy. I feel like anyone would have just sucked it up for their time there rather than spending close to $70 just to get it shipped out. An associate of mines processed the package not really thinking twice about it because he was in his second week of training. So I took the package and opened it up to see if there was anything strange about the package just to make sure. Turns out the shipper stashed a little bag of hash in the deodorant, so doing my job I notified my supervisor because thats what we are supposed to do. This isnt the first time that we have had someone try to pull a quick one on us like that so I was thinking to myself that we would just go through the standard procedure of reporting it to the police because we definitely don't want that shipment going through on our record. My manager decides to then consult it with the owner of the store and the owner then decides to ship it out anyways to make it the Hub's problem (Distribution Center). Later that night the manager of the Hub for our county called our store and proceeded to cuss out anyone who answered the phone because it was now his problem and I could completely understand his side of the situation.

I have been conflicted with this for some time now because I know what our normal procedures are for something like this yet management still decided to bypass it and basically committed an illegal action. After this issue I have begun to question the leadership at my store and am probably going to switch to part time and look for work somewhere else. I have been contemplating on calling the helpline or placing a complaint online about the situation but I'm not sure if anything will get done. Any thoughts? (Sorry for the long post)

You work at a UPS Store so you are not a UPS employee. The UPS Store, in this case, is the shipper and is considered a "Third Party Retailer" by UPS. You opened the package at The UPS Store before it got in the UPS system. How did the hub manager know there was hash in the package? You state that you opened the package but it was then sealed up and shipped out. Did you notify the local hub or the pickup driver that the package contained hash? Someone must of informed him, otherwise, how would he know what was in that particular package?

The UPS tariff is clear on the rules once the package gets into the system:

"In tendering a Shipment for service, the Shipper agrees that the version of the Terms and the applicable Service Guide in effect at the time of shipping will apply to the Shipment and its transportation.

It is the responsibility of the Shipper to ensure that a Shipment tendered to UPS, and any UPS Shipping System entry that the Shipper prepares for that Shipment, does not violate any federal, state, provincial, or local laws or regulations applicable to the Shipment.

The Third Party Retailer shall not ship any articles which UPS does not accept for transportation.

UPS does not accept for transportation, and Shippers are prohibited from shipping packages containing marijuana, as that term is defined by 21 U.S.C. § 802(16), including marijuana intended for medicinal use.

UPS reserves the right in its sole and unlimited discretion to open and inspect any Shipment tendered to it for transportation, but is not required to do so."

I think that once it was opened and the owner knew there was something illegal in the package, the police should have been notified. It should have never been introduced to the UPS system since the shipper, in this case The UPS Store, knew there was something in the package that UPS does not accept for transportation.

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
What if....

You just take the hash for yourself and ship the package? What are they going to do. "Hey UPS hey uhh yeah you guys stole my hash wtf?" Tape the box back up, ship it, and get high later. prob solved

clean hairy

Be fun to replace the MJ with grass clippings!
Replace bottles of Booze with bottles of water.
Replace a shipment of cigs with literature on quitting smoking!
The customers in each case would admit to a felony?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown

Your story has more holes than my previous truck. You're an assistant manager but you notified a supervisor? You just opened up someone's package? A thing of deodorant wouldn't cost $70 for 2nd day. A hub manager wouldn't call a UPS store over drugs in a box. He A)would never find the drugs. If found at all it would be a dog at an airport. B )wouldn't care about the ups store or have any expectation because you're not supposed to play Columbo and open boxes on a hunch. If miraculously found in the hub, they'd call the police and a cop may follow-up in person with the employee who had contact with the shipper and maybe review any surveillance footage.
If you indeed work at a ups store, just do your job as trained and let us worry about the rest. If you're a guy fishing for info on shipping drugs, just don't.