Columbia University students heckel Iraq war vet

Lue C Fur

Evil member
This is disgusting but what do you expect from a bunch of Liberals:

Columbia University students heckled a war hero during a town-hall meeting on whether ROTC should be allowed back on campus.
"Racist!" some students yelled at Anthony Maschek, a Columbia freshman and former Army staff sergeant awarded the Purple Heart after being shot 11 times in a firefight in northern Iraq in February 2008. Others hissed and booed the veteran.
Maschek, 28, had bravely stepped up to the mike Tuesday at the meeting to issue an impassioned challenge to fellow students on their perceptions of the military.
"It doesn't matter how you feel about the war. It doesn't matter how you feel about fighting," said Maschek. "There are bad men out there plotting to kill you."
Several students laughed and jeered the Idaho native, a 10th Mountain Division infantryman who spent two years at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington recovering from grievous wounds.
Maschek, who is studying economics, miraculously survived the insurgent attack in Kirkuk. In the hail of gunfire, he broke both legs and suffered wounds to his abdomen, arm and chest.
He enrolled last August at the Ivy League school, where an increasingly ugly battle is unfolding over the 42-year military ban there.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/02/20/wounded-iraq-vet-gets-heckled-columbia-university-speech/

curiousbrain

Let's be clear - anyone who enlists in the military and goes to war is deserving of respect from everyone, regardless of political alignment. I don't think any sane person, left or right, would disagree with that.

However, let us also be clear - using that same person who went to war and got shot eleven times as a political tool to advance your own perception of what the correct beliefs are, is shameful and outrageous.

Think before you post.

Last edited by a moderator:

rod

Retired 22 years
these clueless students need a wake-up call, time to bring back the draft.

+1-----------------------only this time it should be for both men and women and include everyone under 26 years old.-------------and get rid of the exemptions for those that can afford to hide out in college or have family connections with the draft board.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Nice idea rod.
According to Obamacare every child has to carried on their parent's coverage until age 26, many parents would welcome their removal.

bbsam

Staff member
Mr. Maschek should have thought before he spoke. At Columbia University the guy is going to speak of "bad men plotting to kill you." Come on people. I'm sure there are intelligent and impassioned ways to say what he wanted to say, but using Joe the Plumber/Sarah Palin "teach-the-third-graders" approach isn't the way to do it. And it does matter what they think of fightin and of the war. These are the future leaders of this country. The Barak Obamas, George Bushes, Powell's and Rumsfeld of the future. I would damn sure want them learning the mistakes of the past and present.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
these clueless students need a wake-up call, time to bring back the draft.

While I agree that they disrespected this man, please tell me why being a war hero qualifies you to be an expert on anything but killing people? OK, Sgt. Maschek is one Hell of a brave man, and an excellent soldier. To conservatives, simply being in the military equates to instant credibility, which doesn't make much sense. Perhaps this is why Hannity, Beck, and Limbaugh always slobber over the military, which is ironic, since none of them ever served. Limbaugh is especially notable since his disqualification for service was an anal cyst. Actually, I think Limbaugh might be an anal cyst.

What else do these 3 have in common? No college degree, which explains a lot.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
This is disgusting but what do you expect from a bunch of Liberals:

Columbia University students heckled a war hero during a town-hall meeting on whether ROTC should be allowed back on campus.
"Racist!" some students yelled at Anthony Maschek, a Columbia freshman and former Army staff sergeant awarded the Purple Heart after being shot 11 times in a firefight in northern Iraq in February 2008. Others hissed and booed the veteran.
Maschek, 28, had bravely stepped up to the mike Tuesday at the meeting to issue an impassioned challenge to fellow students on their perceptions of the military.
"It doesn't matter how you feel about the war. It doesn't matter how you feel about fighting," said Maschek. "There are bad men out there plotting to kill you."
Several students laughed and jeered the Idaho native, a 10th Mountain Division infantryman who spent two years at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington recovering from grievous wounds.
Maschek, who is studying economics, miraculously survived the insurgent attack in Kirkuk. In the hail of gunfire, he broke both legs and suffered wounds to his abdomen, arm and chest.
He enrolled last August at the Ivy League school, where an increasingly ugly battle is unfolding over the 42-year military ban there.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/02/20/wounded-iraq-vet-gets-heckled-columbia-university-speech/

I notice that your citation is FOX news. That instantly disqualifies it.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Let's be clear - anyone who enlists in the military and goes to war is deserving of respect from everyone, regardless of political alignment. I don't think any sane person, left or right, would disagree with that.

However, let us also be clear - using that same person who went to war and got shot eleven times as a political tool to advance your own perception of what the correct beliefs are, is shameful and outrageous.

Think before you post.

The students could have debated the issue with Sgt Maschek in a respectful and intelligent manner. He was entitled to stand at the podium and express his opinions, and to boo and hiss and heckle him in that manner showed a complete lack of respect and maturity on the part of the audience.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I notice that your citation is FOX news. That instantly disqualifies it.

In searching CNN & MSNBC sites, neither one even has the story. (I searched Columbia students heckle veteran) They ignore stories that don't lean politically their way. One sided!!

bbsam

Staff member
The students could have debated the issue with Sgt Maschek in a respectful and intelligent manner. He was entitled to stand at the podium and express his opinions, and to boo and hiss and heckle him in that manner showed a complete lack of respect and maturity on the part of the audience.

How do you debate someone respectfully who says, "There are bad guys who are plotting to kill you." That's how you talk to 17 year old recruits. Do you really think there is no difference?

curiousbrain

He was entitled to stand at the podium and express his opinions, and to boo and hiss and heckle him in that manner showed a complete lack of respect and maturity on the part of the audience.

I agree; but using that to make a blanket judgement about college students or people who lean liberal, in general, is as ridiculous as judging all conservatives based on what a single talk show host says, or some equally arbitrary metric. It stinks of partisan hackery.

The students could have debated the issue with Sgt Maschek in a respectful and intelligent manner.

Indeed; they could, and should, have.

I never meant to let the students off as innocent or not deserving of some degree of scorn for being so ill towards an opposing point of view; I simply didn't comment on it.

rod

Retired 22 years
How do you debate someone respectfully who says, "There are bad guys who are plotting to kill you." That's how you talk to 17 year old recruits. Do you really think there is no difference?

I'm confused (it don't take much to do that)-----are you saying there aren't bad guys plotting to kill you?

wkmac

I'm confused (it don't take much to do that)-----are you saying there aren't bad guys plotting to kill you?

In the completely hyped up context that the claim is so often used?

Yes, I absolutely and completely do not believe that at all!

wkmac

You are free to believe what you want------------------for the time being.

May be more true than either of us realize and to be blunt I far more fear our "watchmen" than the alleged evil that is suppose to be hunting us.

MinnesotaBrown

While I agree that they disrespected this man, please tell me why being a war hero qualifies you to be an expert on anything but killing people? To conservatives, simply being in the military equates to instant credibility, which doesn't make much sense.

Perhaps everyone posting in this thread can give their military experience before they step up to question the practices of someone who has served.