Combo vs Package vs Feeders

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
In most places you can bid every two years plus whenever something opens up so even of he regretted moving around he's not stuck forever.

P

pickup

Not leave the yard for a year!?!? If I didn't do that I would have went insane. So much more you can hit and run Into in the yard I feel people let their guard down.

I know quite a few people who came out of package that stayed in the yard and knew quite a few who left the yard prematurely. Notice the "know" and "knew" . Better to back up between two trailers and clog up the yard with fellow UPS drivers who have been there and done that rather than being forced to do a blind side between two tractor trailers in a hard to find cpu site while the workers all whiz out of there in their cars while you try to back in.

To each his own, for those who are willing to fly out of the nest, god bless you. For those who want to stay in the womb and get your training in a more controlled environment, stay in the yard.

P

pickup

Embrace the yard and its craziness and you will become its master. Then you can take what you learned out into the real world.

P

pickup

Shifting a tractor is completely different than driving a stick in your personal vehicle. I do agree with the radar, you either have it or you don't.

I agree, but those who know how to do it in a personal vehicle are one step closer to doing it in a pc or tractor than those who haven't.

I give credit and creedence to the fact that my first car at 18 was a stick shift . The principles learned in that car helped greatly in my eventual transition to a tractor trailer driver.

P

pickup

And then again, it depends on the combo job.
The guy who works on the skid dock/ and then jockeys around vehicles for the car wash has an advantage over the guy who works preload/skid docks when it comes to driving a pc or tractor trailer

OntCombo63

I would think in small hubs driving package or feeder would be the way to go. But in bigger hubs there are some really good easy combo jobs. I got an easy hub job loading a 70 package a night air can (Medford Oregon 9759) and then an even easier ramp job. There hasn't been any cutbacks at our hub we are in the process of expanding it so it feels pretty secure being combo. You drivers though break the bank and earn it and then some.

purplesky

Mileage runs are where the real money is.

There are SOME feeder jobs that are just 8 hours and lots of package car guys have to get used to smaller pay checks in feeders because of lack of overtime.

Some guys love it. Their wives not so much.:biggrin:

MaceFremonti

Here on the East Coast it's .50 for doubles. We don't have triples here although NEWPA has tried twice to dispatch me with triples.....LOL

Sent using BrownCafe App

MaceFremonti

The extra coin covers the added responsibility both driving wise and pre/post trip wise....come on cach you know that!

Sent using BrownCafe App