come on partners....

sosocal

this partners forum is boring me- can we do any better than "how organized is your e-mail?"...not that it is a bad topic ( I liked it)...but come on, Its been THE THREAD for a month...REALLY???

SOMEONE START SOME UNSUBSTANTIATED RUMORS OR SOMETHING.
MIP Guesses..
Anything.............

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Just what constitutes a "partner" ??????

It is an obsolete term used to refer to management employees of UPS that own UPS stock.

I think Level 20 management still use this term but I'm not sure since I have not heard this term used in 5 years or so.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I use it with my on car and center manager all the time. "Hey Partner, I see ya got me kinda heavy today"

pretzel_man

Partner was replaced with shareholder years ago. Sad but true.

M-

I don't recall ever NOT caring about shareowners...

Partner used to equal Shareowner when we were private.....

Maybe that is part of the problem??? Used to be there was NO choice but to get MIP in shares.

When one has shares, its hard to not care about shareowners.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
I don't recall ever NOT caring about shareowners...

Partner used to equal Shareowner when we were private.....

Maybe that is part of the problem??? Used to be there was NO choice but to get MIP in shares.

When one has shares, its hard to not care about shareowners.

Partner and shareowner may be related in some cases, but they certainly are not the same thing. $69 dollars can make anyone instantly a shareowner. It took much more to be a partner and it meant much more. You can be a shareowner and you can be an employee, but you can't be a partner with an organization or entity that doesn't want partners.

Partnership
1: the state of being a partner

2a : a legal relation existing between two or more persons contractually associated as joint principals in a business b : the persons joined together in a partnership

3: a relationship resembling a legal partnership and usually involving close cooperation between parties having specified and joint rights and responsibilities

Noun1.shareowner - someone who holds shares of stock in a corporation

pretzel_man

Partner and shareowner may be related in some cases, but they certainly are not the same thing. $69 dollars can make anyone instantly a shareowner. It took much more to be a partner and it meant much more. You can be a shareowner and you can be an employee, but you can't be a partner with an organization or entity that doesn't want partners.

Partnership
1: the state of being a partner

2a : a legal relation existing between two or more persons contractually associated as joint principals in a business b : the persons joined together in a partnership

3: a relationship resembling a legal partnership and usually involving close cooperation between parties having specified and joint rights and responsibilities

Noun
shareowner - someone who holds shares of stock in a corporation

While what you say is true, it doesn't change my original point.....

Caring about shareowners has ALWAYS been part of UPS. Its not new.

That same $69 bought a share 10 years ago. It doesn't seem to me like shareowners are getting well compensated....

curiousbrain

I'll sprinkle some thoughts on this topic, as I've given it a bit of consideration lately.

I am, and am not, a partner.

Any huge institution such as UPS has a certain amount of institutional inertia that carries it forward - no single person, despite how highly they may think of themselves, is indispensable; the institution will simply carry on by repetition, force of habit, and other such things. In that sense, I am not (and perhaps no one really is) a partner.

On a more practical level, consider the building I am employed in - as aforementioned, I'm not indispensable, but I believe that I make a difference for those I supervise and for the multitude of folks who happen to constitute "my boss". There are good days and bad days, but by and large I always do my best and I feel that I am good at my job. In this way, I am a partner in the sense that I am a member of a partnership interested in conducting business. They may not all recognize it as such, but that is how it seems to me.

On the management level that is removed from the "center" level, no, I don't believe I am a partner there and am quite sure they don't regard me as one, either.

Strictly defining "partner" as an employee of UPS who receives securities compensation may be historically or technically accurate, and I may be speaking of things I don't know for saying this, but I think it misses the point: to make an employee feel valuable, that their effort makes a difference and is recognized (be it through compensation, a holiday turkey, or whatever) ... that feeling and confidence that what they sacrifice is appreciated, is what it means to be a "partner". To that end, I imagine every good driver (or hourly) should be considered a partner, as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'll sprinkle some thoughts on this topic, as I've given it a bit of consideration lately.

I am, and am not, a partner.

Any huge institution such as UPS has a certain amount of institutional inertia that carries it forward - no single person, despite how highly they may think of themselves, is indispensable; the institution will simply carry on by repetition, force of habit, and other such things. In that sense, I am not (and perhaps no one really is) a partner.

On a more practical level, consider the building I am employed in - as aforementioned, I'm not indispensable, but I believe that I make a difference for those I supervise and for the multitude of folks who happen to constitute "my boss". There are good days and bad days, but by and large I always do my best and I feel that I am good at my job. In this way, I am a partner in the sense that I am a member of a partnership interested in conducting business. They may not all recognize it as such, but that is how it seems to me.

On the management level that is removed from the "center" level, no, I don't believe I am a partner there and am quite sure they don't regard me as one, either.

Strictly defining "partner" as an employee of UPS who receives securities compensation may be historically or technically accurate, and I may be speaking of things I don't know for saying this, but I think it misses the point: to make an employee feel valuable, that their effort makes a difference and is recognized (be it through compensation, a holiday turkey, or whatever) ... that feeling and confidence that what they sacrifice is appreciated, is what it means to be a "partner". To that end, I imagine every good driver (or hourly) should be considered a partner, as well.

You would have made a good partner at United Parcel Service.

sosocal

OK - obviously nobody has any good rumors....so I will throw this one out there. By the end of 2012 the management pension fund will be cashed out for all participants 45 and under. ...Just thought you should know....oh, and how organized is you desk????

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
OK - obviously nobody has any good rumors....so I will throw this one out there. By the end of 2012 the management pension fund will be cashed out for all participants 45 and under. ...Just thought you should know....oh, and how organized is you desk????

What is the basis for 45? What purpose would cashing it out serve?

Prediction/Rumor - Salary bands will reduce base pay. Performance based pay will tie MIP directly to QPR. Overall result will be reduced compensation for most in 2012 and forward. Lowered 2011 compensation will be used for calculating bands.