Coming back to UPS after many years....what are my chances??

kingfisher

First post here guys/gals. Worked as a pkg car driver from 1978 to 1987, voluntarily resigned (under good circumstances). I;m about to complete CDL training, class A with hazmat and am considering coming back to UPS. What are my chances for reemployment as a feeder driver, etc. BTW, I'm 55 an in excellent health and live 20 min away from a major UPS hub.

Thanks

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I think the first step would be to check with HR at that hub and see what your rehire status is. Assuming there are no problems, go here and see what's available.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
kingfisher,

Welcome to the BrownCafe and hopefully welcome back to UPS!

Let us know what happens and good luck!

UPSGUY72

First post here guys/gals. Worked as a pkg car driver from 1978 to 1987, voluntarily resigned (under good circumstances). I;m about to complete CDL training, class A with hazmat and am considering coming back to UPS. What are my chances for reemployment as a feeder driver, etc. BTW, I'm 55 an in excellent health and live 20 min away from a major UPS hub.

Thanks

It all depends on what part of the country you are in. In my area they don't hire feeders off the street they come from within UPS (ie package car drivers). You might have a better chance getting a truck driver job at UPS frieght. If not you will be about 80 before you get a feeder job at UPS.

kingfisher

It all depends on what part of the country you are in. In my area they don't hire feeders off the street they come from within UPS (ie package car drivers). You might have a better chance getting a truck driver job at UPS frieght. If not you will be about 80 before you get a feeder job at UPS.

I live in central pa, hub is Harrisburg, they are advertising for cdl drivers constantly, looks like feeder positions, the say you start in the evening and finish in the am, which sounds like feeder to me??

have they changed their rehire policy in the last few years??

P

pickup

Well, generally whether you come in as a casual feeder driver(temp with remote possibilty to become a perm) , or very very unlikely, as a new hire, I believe you would need a year's experience of tractor trailer driving to go along with that newly minted C.D.L. A that you have (congratulations by the way) . That's the way it works where I am at.

Edit: and that one year's experience must be accident free.