coming soon to a center near you...ODS-E

S

speeddemon

If they are going to put a microscope up our ass at all times, then I would like to see that every minute of the managers and supervisrors day is accounted for doing something productive for the company. Lets see how the shoe feels on the other foot.

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
If they are going to put a microscope up our ass at all times, then I would like to see that every minute of the managers and supervisrors day is accounted for doing something productive for the company. Lets see how the shoe feels on the other foot.

haha... yeah. good one! most of the time if my supervisors ask me to run air and then go back to building for shags or whatnot- the supervisors are in the office sitting down on their rear-ends talking trash about all the drivers. (i have walked in on them more than once as they were in the act.) its crazy some of the stuff they say about people when they aren't there to defend themselves. it only makes me wonder what they say about me when i'm not around...

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much input you, I or anyone else on this forum will have over whether or not they choose to use this technology. Actually, I am sure--zero!!

As has been mentioned many times before, the advent of new technology will only affect those not following the methods. Do your job, do it the way that you were taught, and they could mount a camera on your forehead and you would still have nothing to worry about. It is really just that simple.
Well put NYUPSer. Follow the methods, don't compromise yours or the company's integrity and you have nothing to worry about.

haha... yeah. good one! most of the time if my supervisors ask me to run air and then go back to building for shags or whatnot- the supervisors are in the office sitting down on their rear-ends talking trash about all the drivers. (i have walked in on them more than once as they were in the act.) its crazy some of the stuff they say about people when they aren't there to defend themselves. it only makes me wonder what they say about me when i'm not around...
And you've never talked about a sup when they are not around to defend themselves. Besides who cares?

DS

Fenderbender
Your comment regarding sending help or adjusting the dispatch on route, I have never heard of in my 28 years of UPS. What area do you work in, if you don't mind sharing. I just find your comment intriguing, regarding UPS and your local coming to agreement as you stated.
Thank for any info.
Chan,are you joking? Where I am preload is often lacking in accountability to the point that they often put a lot more work in your truck that can be legally delivered in under 12 hours,hence the phone call to the center.I have 35 business stops that will be missed unless you send help.Bye.
respond asap.in the board then going on break...here we have former drivers as oncars,they know we will bring them back if we are ridiculously overdispatched.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The new technology really does work both ways. Back in the good old days, management used to dispatch what we referred to as "abortion cars." Prior to stops being tracked electronically, the only thing they cared about was getting all of the packages out of the building to maintain the illusion of a functioning operation. The "abortion car" would go out the door with everything that was left under the belt...I can remember days where 400+ stops would be forced into a p-600, and I would bring 200 of them back at 10:00 at night. The sup would just have me unload them without sheeting them as missed. That can't happen any more with EDD, there is now a level of honesty regarding stop counts and workloads that didnt exist before.

Mike Hawk

I remember once when 2 ppl were on vacation 1 on injury and 2 sick, we had 2 supes loading the whole day, the third spent half his time on the load line chatting with the other 2. Half a supe can run our preload but they hire 4...

pretzel_man

When this new system was explained to us, we were told about 2 primary goals of the system.

First, reduce text messages to drivers. Use this system to know the current status of service, stops, etc. and don't waste drivers (and OMS') time gathering this information.

Second, reduce the number of rejected ODS events. If the OMS can see where each driver is, what they've already completed, (and in PAS sites what they have left to do), they can make better decisions on which driver should service an on call pickup.

We are tracking these two elements, and so far, they are improving.

There were a few additional goals explained:
- Help the local sort know when drivers are returning and how much volume they have
- Better set up customer meets
- Better communicate to customers when a driver would service them

No one asked us to use this system to micromanage.

That being said, I'm certain that some center somewhere will use this system improperly.

I'm also certain that somewher, it will point out a driver doing something improper.

I believe that the vast majority of our drivers are good and honest. I also believe that the vast majority of our management is good and honest.

This is designed for that majority of people.

More is coming after this with the intent of only helping.

P-Man

Channahon

DS,

Read below, as I was interested in what part of the country is there a local agreement that UPS cannot adjust routes on area.

Originally Posted by What'dyabringmetoday???
It would not matter to me how many stops I had left as I would not give work to another driver. Not that I would want overtime, but they can not take work from you and give it to another driver. Go ahead and jump on me, but there is language in the supplement where I work to cover that. Like I said, don't want the extra overtime, but also don't think we should need to take care of dispatching on the road. The great PAS/EDD deal should be able to send every run out with the perfect amount of stops.

Your comment regarding sending help or adjusting the dispatch on route, I have never heard of in my 28 years of UPS. What area do you work in, if you don't mind sharing. I just find your comment intriguing, regarding UPS and your local coming to agreement as you stated.
Thank for any info.

UPS Lifer

I talked with a manager recently and he told me about this technology.

The only folks who really need to be concerned about this technology are those folks doing something wrong.

As drivers you do not have a supervisor looking over your shoulder all day long like most other jobs. I realize this is one of the biggest pluses about being a driver. It is difficult to be micromanaged out in the field.

Back at the barn... I always heard drivers say "If you don't believe me, get on the car and see for yourself!"

Well... this technology works both ways doesn't it? You have a record of what you are doing right !! ... and when a supervisor gets on the car with you they usually get off the car with a little better understanding of what you are going through right?

So ... this is not necessarily a bad thing. The contract also protects you so unless you are a dishonest driver don't let the new technology bother you.

BigBrownSanta

I think it has another advantage for those above the building management level. Check the AM dispatch against the PM actual deliveries and see how many drivers had to go and take work off another driver because of over dispatch or just plain bad dispatching.

Also, it should show how badly splits are dispatched. We have an area that is a high density delivery area that stays unassigned just so that 5 to 10 drivers each day can be dispatched to pad SPORH. It should also show how many drivers criss-cross each other to deliver splits.

Whether or not it gets utilized by anyone above the building management level and whether or not they care enough to fix the problems is yet to be seen.

UPS Lifer

I think it has another advantage for those above the building management level. Check the AM dispatch against the PM actual deliveries and see how many drivers had to go and take work off another driver because of over dispatch or just plain bad dispatching.

Also, it should show how badly splits are dispatched. We have an area that is a high density delivery area that stays unassigned just so that 5 to 10 drivers each day can be dispatched to pad SPORH. It should also show how many drivers criss-cross each other to deliver splits.

Whether or not it gets utilized by anyone above the building management level and whether or not they care enough to fix the problems is yet to be seen.

Bingo! That is what I am talking about! It puts everything on record and there will be someone down the road that will get it fixed! I guarantee it!

K

king23lebron

some misconceptions out here:

ODSe will show stops completed/remaining, but it's still necessary to send in your ETA.

since when is job performance and efficiency a private matter? try grieving that one and winning.

work can definitely be moved between routes, particularly if one driver will not be able to finish work under 11.0 hrs - DOT regulations, folks.

What'dyabringmetoday???

DS,

Read below, as I was interested in what part of the country is there a local agreement that UPS cannot adjust routes on area.

Originally Posted by What'dyabringmetoday???
It would not matter to me how many stops I had left as I would not give work to another driver. Not that I would want overtime, but they can not take work from you and give it to another driver. Go ahead and jump on me, but there is language in the supplement where I work to cover that. Like I said, don't want the extra overtime, but also don't think we should need to take care of dispatching on the road. The great PAS/EDD deal should be able to send every run out with the perfect amount of stops.

Thank for any info.
Upstate/West New York supplement states that in no event may employees displace other employees who have not completed their assignment. Feel free to argue this one out, but I have already made a case on this one. Once they send me out the door, I will be delivering all the boxes in back. If they do not want me out late, they can put less boxes in the TRUCK. Granted, if someone gets injured, passes out, or worse, that would be a different story. They can even the work out if they take the time to do their jobs as well as we do.

JustTired

free at last.......
Bingo! That is what I am talking about! It puts everything on record and there will be someone down the road that will get it fixed! I guarantee it!

Hopefully they will also use this system to "weed out" the bad dispatch sups. Just hope that their replacements have been extensively trained in the proper use of PAS/EDD.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Hopefully they will also use this system to "weed out" the bad dispatch sups. Just hope that their replacements have been extensively trained in the proper use of PAS/EDD.

its not necessarily the pas sups. when they are told to cut out 2 cars at 730, what the heck are they suppose to do. We are really doing our more important customers a disservice when we are delivering their packages one day at 10 and the next at 3. They focus so much on pickup times being in range, hey how about deliveries too...this is where we have an advantage against fedex and right now its being put to waste. If the bean counters cared about the customer as much as the drivers do, fedex would be out of business. maybe the bean counters could put the brainpower into finding ways to retain, and grow the business, instead of cutting back on drivers to properly retain and grow the business.