Coming soon to a center near you?

bham brown

Last week we received something to sign (or not) called the 2 acre rule for residential deliveries. basically says without center manager approval you can't pull in a driveway unless it is larger than 2 acres... I am still waiting on my training of how to calculate property size from a brown truck.. Was just wondering if this was just a local thing or if it has been done elsewhere

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have never heard of this. I have also never got a straight answer on exactly how long a driveway should be before I can drive up it. 500 feet? 1000 feet? Who knows?

bigbrownhen

There is no set rule that I know of. I am guessing this is just a tactic to get you to think more about whether it is worth the effort to back or not.

outta hours

Work as directed and walk all driveways less than 2 acres. Watch your paid day go up and your SPORH go down. It's a win win.

bham brown

I am hoping it's just another flavor of the month thing cause that would suck for me.. I have some real long and real steep driveways. But if it sticks it wouldn't surprise me.. Nothing surprises me anymore around UPS.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Work as directed and walk all driveways less than 2 acres. Watch your paid day go up and your SPORH go down. It's a win win.

If I tried doing that I would be dead from a heart attack and my carcass would be devoured by coyotes by the time the center even noticed that my truck was missing.

This must be another one of those deals where some pinhead from Corporate who never delivered a package in his life had himself a "bright idea" and decided to write a memo. It makes perfect sense from behind a desk, but in the real world its a joke.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Last week we received something to sign (or not) called the 2 acre rule for residential deliveries. basically says without center manager approval you can't pull in a driveway unless it is larger than 2 acres... I am still waiting on my training of how to calculate property size from a brown truck.. Was just wondering if this was just a local thing or if it has been done elsewhere
Sounds like the same geniuses that trained our police department to "see" how fast we are going, will come in to teach us how to 'SEE" how big 2 acres is.

tarbar66

:happy2:
If I tried doing that I would be dead from a heart attack and my carcass would be devoured by coyotes by the time the center even noticed that my truck was missing.

This must be another one of those deals where some pinhead from Corporate who never delivered a package in his life had himself a "bright idea" and decided to write a memo. It makes perfect sense from behind a desk, but in the real world its a joke.

I love your reference to a pinhead in Corporate. The last time I met someone from Corporate he was visiting his hometown and wanted his son to sit in the drivers seat of my package car. This guy was not a pin head but he has retired and probably been replaced by a pin head!

Big Babooba

Sheesh! Just bring your tape measure to each stop. Locate the boundary pins and measure the length and width of the property. Use this formula: L x W / 43560 (the square footage of an acre). If the result is 2 or greater, then feel free to drive up the driveway.

Next thing they'll be making us sign a paper instructing us not to stare at the sun!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Work as directed! I haven't pulled/backed into a resi driveway in well over a year. My driveways are far from lengthy and there is a cul de sac, big enough to swing a U-Turn, at the end of 99% of the resi streets I deliver.

BrownDead

It is just part of the paperwork needed to confirm you were instructed NOT to use driveways. Then when the telematics flags an event of you backing into a driveway, they can take disciplinary action. Do the right thing, stay out of driveways, and get permission for those you MUST use.

UPSGUY72

MY Sup was showing me a route yesterday and he instructed me to drive into atleast 4 driveways and I must of backup into 20.

probellringer

there will probably be a sheet in your mailbox --kind of like a closed holiday list ...it will ask you to ask owners their property size...the diad will also prompt you to verify ....

bham brown

Well I wish my driveways were short like yours steve... Last time my oc rode with me he was originally complaining about how many driveways I pull up, not back up. I don't back up driveways. By the end of the day he was asking why I wasn't pulling more driveways. It's just funny to me how that has changed overnight. Now they want their 2 acre rule and no more than 10 residential backs. Unfortunately i have around 140- 160 residential stops a day so backing only 10 times is kinda, well impossible.