Common Courtesy

moreluck

golden ticket member
I truly believe that common courtesy died. Everyone seems to be in the "me, me,me" mode.

An example is people who don't return their grocery carts to a central place and instead leave it stranded in the lot blocking one or two excellent parking spaces.

I try to park my car right next to a cart return, knowing ahead of time that I will be coming out with a cart and I'll need to return it there.

I see young people just unload their stuff and leave the cart and pull away. They are not sick, they only needed to walk a couple extra steps. A wind gust could move their cart and cause damage to a car, but they don't care, they got their stuff and they're gone.

When I pull into a parking space and there are stray carts around, I gather a few up and take them inside as I am going inside too. And don't lecture me about job security because no one was doing the job anyway!

bigbrownhen

Hubby teases me about my "quirk" with putting the carts back in the holding areas or back inside. I saw a cart rolling away one day, and it seemed that it had a mind of its own. It would be headed for this car, then that car, and change direction at the last minute. It finally stopped at the bumper of a little white car. No damage. It was a nice cart.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I truly believe that common courtesy died. Everyone seems to be in the "me, me,me" mode.

An example is people who don't return their grocery carts to a central place and instead leave it stranded in the lot blocking one or two excellent parking spaces.

I try to park my car right next to a cart return, knowing ahead of time that I will be coming out with a cart and I'll need to return it there.

I see young people just unload their stuff and leave the cart and pull away. They are not sick, they only needed to walk a couple extra steps. A wind gust could move their cart and cause damage to a car, but they don't care, they got their stuff and they're gone.

When I pull into a parking space and there are stray carts around, I gather a few up and take them inside as I am going inside too. And don't lecture me about job security because no one was doing the job anyway!
GUILTY as charged, though I try and make sure the cart doesn't hog the parking space and is secure enough not to be blown by the wind.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Oh c'mon Steve, you're young and in great shape with the running & all......even when I was "chemo-girl" and weak as hell, I still returned the cart.

Don't be in such a hurry, think of others and return the cart properly.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Oh c'mon Steve, you're young and in great shape with the running & all......even when I was "chemo-girl" and weak as hell, I still returned the cart.

Don't be in such a hurry, think of others and return the cart properly.
Okay, but only because it's you, more. Scouts honor! I was asked by Brown Santa to stop taking pictures while driving and I haven't, since, so what harm could it do to push a cart back to the stall?

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Where I live there are kids that fetch the carts and make contact with their Customers at the end of the process. They don't have a fancy title like "End to End Service", but that is what it is and it draws me and others back.

The UPS Model is very similar. (Walmart too........Hi; Can I help You?)

klein

Für Meno :)
Our carts take quarters or dollar coins, and unleashes a key that is attached with a chain.
Maybe, I'll take a pic next time ?

Anyways, once you lock in the cart/key to the other ones, you get your coin back.
Yes, it has happened before, that I forgot my change at home, or had none.... so I had to go to customer service first and get some.

So, we don't have a problem like you. People bring their carts back, and if not, someone will grab it, use it, and get paid (rewarded) for doing so. Done that many times, too.

I must honestly say, moreluck is right. While in Florida, good parking spots are taken up by them. And some lots are just full of them.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
In our neck of the woods, shopping carts are equip with some kind of sensor. I guess its like an "invisible fence" where if you take the cart of premise it must set off some of of alarm.

I'm tempted to take a stroll with an empty cart down the sidewalk and see if someone (or a specialized cart retrieval team) comes after me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In our neck of the woods, shopping carts are equip with some kind of sensor. I guess its like an "invisible fence" where if you take the cart of premise it must set off some of of alarm.

I'm tempted to take a stroll with an empty cart down the sidewalk and see if someone (or a specialized cart retrieval team) comes after me.

You can try but you will end up dragging the cart as the rear wheels lock up once you pass the sensor line. There is a Price Chopper in Albany, NY, that has this and I was told it was because they were losing carts to "bottle boys"--people who walk around picking up empties to redeem for the deposit.

Klein, we also has the "pay per use" shopping carts at our local Hannaford's but they discontinued it after receiving too many complaints. It did make sense as you had to return the cart to get your quarter back.

DS

Fenderbender
Our carts take quarters or dollar coins, and unleashes a key that is attached with a chain.
Maybe, I'll take a pic next time ? Not everyone has a local safeway
Its up to whoever owns the store.

Anyways, once you lock in the cart/key to the other ones, you get your coin back.
Yes, it has happened before, that I forgot my change at home, or had none.... so I had to go to customer service first and get some.

So, we don't have a problem like you. People bring their carts back, and if not, someone will grab it, use it, and get paid (rewarded) for doing so. Done that many times, too.

I must honestly say, moreluck is right. While in Florida, good parking spots are taken up by them. And some lots are just full of them.
Steve, I want you to fix Florida's shopping cart problems.With your initiative,the sunshine state will be free from runaway carts.

klein

Steve, I want you to fix Florida's shopping cart problems.With your initiative,the sunshine state will be free from runaway carts.

DS, Superstore charges a loonie deposit... I'm pretty sure, atleast here they do.
I haven't been there in ages.... but I do recall a dollar.

IGA (Sorbeys) also charges..... I think they all do.

Oh, DS, do you guys have KFC daily specials there, too ?
Today is Thursday, : 10 pieces of chicken & medium fries for $12.00.
I think that will be my late supper tonight, and meals for the next 2 days.

DS

Fenderbender
Klein,I don't eat at KFC anymore.Its horrible stuff.65% saturated fat and 35% salt.
What kind of restaurant sells food in a bucket:)
Deep-fried-chicken-head.jpg

klein

Klein,I don't eat at KFC anymore.Its horrible stuff.65% saturated fat and 35% salt.
What kind of restaurant sells food in a bucket:)
View attachment 46339

That was rude and nasty of you. I think I just lost my appetite for chicken now :(
I got an hr to choose, might need to settle for pizza now.

But really, their gravy is the best ! Unbeatable. Goes good with the rest of the grease LOL

DS

Fenderbender
I'm sorry Klein,I didn't mean to turn you off KFC...wait! Yes I did!!! You are much better off with pizza.
I am one of the few that kinda like you man,don't think of me as rude,I may have added years to your life
with that one photo.Do you have swiss chalet there? Their chicken is roasted not deep-fried.
I'm doing my pat to make Edmonton greener:peaceful:

klein

I know, I was just joking, but that pic is nasty !
Yes, we do have swiss chalet here, just none in my neck of the woods nearby. But, I could go to Safeway grab a whole roasted chicken for half the price, and they are good, too.
I'm really not sure now, what to eat.
Maybe, just make something at home, instead, and save my money ?

I eat KFC maybe once every month or 2. Toonie Tuesdays is good. Hadn't had that in a while either.
Maybe , just get beer.... not sure if I want greasy chicken now, either.

In the United States, atleast KFC has grilled chicken to chose from. Much better.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
My habit of courtesy drives my husband crazy.
I say thank you to the cashier, the waitress or grocery bagger and add their name.
I always acknowledge and read name tags.
My reward is the most appreciative smile :happy2:.

My habit of courtesy drives my husband crazy.
I say thank you to the cashier, the waitress or grocery bagger and add their name.
I always acknowledge and read name tags.
My reward is the most appreciative smile :happy2:.

Why should it drive him crazy? It`s the correct thing to do,to treat someone like a human being regardless of their status in life.