Comparison: Last, Best & Final to Pre-strike proposals

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I have never bought any UPS stock directly but I seem to recall it selling around $26/share prior to the IPO and wasn't some of that the junk stock (OPL?) used to finance our insurance at the time that the IRS spanked us for? Looking up the historical price it has it at $51.35 adj ($67.73 close) so how did he turn $180k into $1.2 million? Wouldn't that be something like 7 for 1? (assuming he had that much in there, which the previous poster called into doubt). Bear with me if I'm clueless about the stock changeover, I'm just a boring Mutual fund, S&P Index fund turtle-isn't-sexy-but-wins-the-race kind of guy.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have never bought any UPS stock directly but I seem to recall it selling around $26/share prior to the IPO and wasn't some of that the junk stock (OPL?) used to finance our insurance at the time that the IRS spanked us for? Looking up the historical price it has it at $51.35 adj ($67.73 close) so how did he turn $180k into $1.2 million? Wouldn't that be something like 7 for 1? (assuming he had that much in there, which the previous poster called into doubt). Bear with me if I'm clueless about the stock changeover, I'm just a boring Mutual fund, S&P Index fund turtle-isn't-sexy-but-wins-the-race kind of guy.

I am just relaying what I was told---I didn't ask the driver to show me his transaction history. Believe the story--don't believe it--I don't really care.

I bet you feel pretty foolish having typed in all of the contract information for nothing.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I am just relaying what I was told---I didn't ask the driver to show me his transaction history. Believe the story--don't believe it--I don't really care.

I bet you feel pretty foolish having typed in all of the contract information for nothing.

Excuse me? OK so it was just something you heard. Probably the person who told you heard it from someone else? Or if it was the actual person, you could probably tell pretty easily if he really had $1.2 million in the bank which should be quite a bit more by now.

Why should I feel foolish? BrownIEman et.al. and I had a good discussion and it's a resource others can turn to who didn't live through that era. You really are strange.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The first shares I got from my thrift plan money were about 26 a share. Just before we went public they were at roughly 50. The stock then split and went public at about 70. My original shares would have been valued at 13 split adjusted.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Excuse me? OK so it was just something you heard. Probably the person who told you heard it from someone else? Or if it was the actual person, you could probably tell pretty easily if he really had $1.2 million in the bank which should be quite a bit more by now.

I never said he had $1.2M in the bank---all I said was he turned $180K in to $1.2M--his gain, as all gains, was on paper and would not be realized until he sold.

Why should I feel foolish? BrownIEman et.al. and I had a good discussion and it's a resource others can turn to who didn't live through that era. You really are strange.

You spent all that time and energy typing that information in and there was good discussion but your efforts were quickly forgotten.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
104Feeder;

I hate to sound like a Doubting Thomas here, but I sure would like to see a scan of the "last, best, and final offer" - signed, and as directly submitted by UPS - rather than automatically accept a re-typed account of what it is alleged to have contained via what may (or may not - not making any claims here) be second or third hand sources and/or with content possibly "filtered" or re-worked. (note my use of the word "possibly" - again, I'm not making any claims!). It might help to relieve some confusion.

You don't want to believe, nor do you want to do the work to refute it.
Your goal is to discredit by innuendo.
Get busy or step off.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder

I never said he had $1.2M in the bank---all I said was he turned $180K in to $1.2M--his gain, as all gains, was on paper and would not be realized until he sold.

You spent all that time and energy typing that information in and there was good discussion but your efforts were quickly forgotten.

Suddenly I understand why so many on this forum give you such a hard time. Guess you'll have to find someone else to feed your ego.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Suddenly I understand why so many on this forum give you such a hard time. Guess you'll have to find someone else to feed your ego.

I could come here and be all ditzy, trying to act cute and dripping with sexual innuendo and have all the boys fawning over me but I know in the end no one would take me seriously. I tell it like it is and if you don't like that I couldn't care less. I did tell you in the contract thread that I appreciated you taking the time and effort to type all of that information in but as you found out your efforts were quickly forgotten. I don't come here to feed my ego---I come here as I enjoy the discussion. When the time comes that I no longer enjoy coming here I will stop.

bbsam

Staff member
I could come here and be all ditzy, trying to act cute and dripping with sexual innuendo and have all the boys fawning over me but I know in the end no one would take me seriously. I tell it like it is and if you don't like that I couldn't care less. I did tell you in the contract thread that I appreciated you taking the time and effort to type all of that information in but as you found out your efforts were quickly forgotten. I don't come here to feed my ego---I come here as I enjoy the discussion. When the time comes that I no longer enjoy coming here I will stop.
You had me at "ditzy".

menotyou

bella amicizia

Yet, another example. Some one's panties are in a bunch because I 'like'd your comment. Notice how upset I am? See me in the corner crying?

​NOT!

I didn't know all the boys were fawning over me, though.

oldupsman

You've mentioned this a number of times before. And each time I find myself wondering how can this be so.

$6 contribution per week, times 52 weeks in a year, equals $312 per year. Times, say, 35 years equals $10,920 in contributions. Now add earnings, (which were limited in later years by a plan rule,) and, well, you explain it from here on . . .
Your numbers are correct Jon. But the part you are missing is the years before the earnings were limited.
I remember there were quite a few years that the "the plan" ( I always got a kick out of those quotes) paid at
22% to 25%. Old guys like me who started in the 70's and never touched that money did quite well.
When we were allowed to buy stock I had 50,000 in "the plan". And there were guys who had a lot more than that.
And I converted all 50,000 into UPS stock before we went public. So you can do the math from there. But it sure wasn't
no million bucks. Then again, I ain't complaining.