Composite Trucks

vantexan

USAToday had an article today on new UPS trucks that are using composite panels to reduce weight of vehicle by 1000 lbs. This allows for a smaller Izuzu diesel engine that reduces fuel consumption 40%. Mentioned FedEx is testing similar vehicles. That's a huge cost savings but, not holding my breath, will that translate to better pay down the road?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
USAToday had an article today on new UPS trucks that are using composite panels to reduce weight of vehicle by 1000 lbs. This allows for a smaller Izuzu diesel engine that reduces fuel consumption 40%. Mentioned FedEx is testing similar vehicles. That's a huge cost savings but, not holding my breath, will that translate to better pay down the road?

Better pay?

Yes for upper management that is, you bet!

packageguy

I don't care, they should make these trucks bigger, I feel like I work for freight,
between the potery barn boxes and fireplace, and don't forget the tires.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

I heard from our mechanics this morning that my station is getting 24 new Sprinters to replace 17 W700's. I thought we were getting trucks and that Sprinters were a thing of the past, apparently not. They also told me how bad this was going to suck for them, because none of the diagnostic tools for the current Sprinters carries over, plus they have advanced new diesel particulate filters and also use a urea liquid for emissions. The best part is, they are not going to stock the urea fluid in the shop, the stations will be responsible for that and the couriers will be responsible for making sure it's topped off.

Makes you wonder doesn't it?

FedEx2000

I heard from our mechanics this morning that my station is getting 24 new Sprinters to replace 17 W700's. I thought we were getting trucks and that Sprinters were a thing of the past, apparently not. They also told me how bad this was going to suck for them, because none of the diagnostic tools for the current Sprinters carries over, plus they have advanced new diesel particulate filters and also use a urea liquid for emissions. The best part is, they are not going to stock the urea fluid in the shop, the stations will be responsible for that and the couriers will be responsible for making sure it's topped off. Makes you wonder doesn't it?

Make's you wonder about what exactly?

I personally hate working out of anything other than a W700, but many of the 700's online just aren't full anymore any it doesn't make sense to keep using such a large vehicle when it's not necessary. Sprinters get get better mileage and are large enough for many routes, also don't have to worry as much about fitting under awnings etc. This may not be a big issue in the wide open expanses of TX, but in larger cities it's a big deal having a smaller vehicle that can go/fit more places. The new 700's are subject to the same diesel regulations as the sprinters are, so that is really a non-issue. They will also have the filters/urea requirements. I don't know about your station, but the only thing our mx seems to do is change oil, do PM's, and change tires. Any real work on the motor/transmission gets taken care of by someone else most of the time......and since they are new, they will be under warranty and serviced by the manufacturer if anything serious arises. Also, they will not be rendered undriveable if they run out of the urea, they just won't meet emissions standards.

I dislike sprinters as much as anyone, but for the most part it makes sense. I wish we would purchase the dually versions though, they would be more stable and better in the snow. Some routes still need 700/900's, but not nearly as many as days past.

vantexan

Some routes still need 700/900's, but not nearly as many as days past.
Ground has pretty much taken the bulk off our hands. If Express ever loses cellphones and Amazon it's over. Still waiting for them to get their ducks in a row to reorganize Express. Would you be so kind as to give us a heads up if something major is about to happen? You don't strike me as the sort who'd mess with us for the fun of it.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel

Not for anyone but shareholders.

Can't wait to take a lighter truck on an overpass in high winds...

bbsam

Staff member
Make's you wonder about what exactly?

I personally hate working out of anything other than a W700, but many of the 700's online just aren't full anymore any it doesn't make sense to keep using such a large vehicle when it's not necessary. Sprinters get get better mileage and are large enough for many routes, also don't have to worry as much about fitting under awnings etc. This may not be a big issue in the wide open expanses of TX, but in larger cities it's a big deal having a smaller vehicle that can go/fit more places. The new 700's are subject to the same diesel regulations as the sprinters are, so that is really a non-issue. They will also have the filters/urea requirements. I don't know about your station, but the only thing our mx seems to do is change oil, do PM's, and change tires. Any real work on the motor/transmission gets taken care of by someone else most of the time......and since they are new, they will be under warranty and serviced by the manufacturer if anything serious arises. Also, they will not be rendered undriveable if they run out of the urea, they just won't meet emissions standards.

I dislike sprinters as much as anyone, but for the most part it makes sense. I wish we would purchase the dually versions though, they would be more stable and better in the snow. Some routes still need 700/900's, but not nearly as many as days past.
I have a 2011 Freightliner wit a urea injection system and if the computer reads out of urea, it will definitely throw the truck into a 3 mph limp mode. Mine had the pump go out and had to have it towed to the Freightliner dealer. All in all, aside from being ridiculously expensive (urea system adds $10,000) it is a very nice truck.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

The urea fluid, seems to me, to be a mx item, not something else for the couriers to worry about, but then we do have to check and fill the oil, so I guess it's just another expectation.

As for the 700, if I have to choose between a Sprinter or a 700, I always go with the 700 just for stability. Sprinters seem to turn over at the drop of a hat.

whenIgetthere

The urea fluid, seems to me, to be a mx item, not something else for the couriers to worry about, but then we do have to check and fill the oil, so I guess it's just another expectation.

As for the 700, if I have to choose between a Sprinter or a 700, I always go with the 700 just for stability. Sprinters seem to turn over at the drop of a hat.

And make sure you don't exceed 5 minutes on that pre-trip or OLCC!!!

bbsam

Staff member

The urea shows a 4 bar lighted guage on the dash. When the last bar turns yellow, the driver is on borrowed time. When it turns red, bad things are about to happen. No need for it to get to that point.

bbsam

Staff member
What, exactly, is this urea fluid?
It sure sounds like its some sort of pee pee.
Exactly, but the urea is a very, very, diluted component. It is injected into an exhaust cannister to reduce diesel particulate matter, I believe.