confederate flag?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
They should have banned it long ago for use by state governments. Seeing the flag makes me very uncomfortable, but I don't think it should be banned for everyone. If an idiot wants to fly it in his yard, he should be able to.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
They should have banned it long ago for use by state governments. Seeing the flag makes me very uncomfortable, but I don't think it should be banned for everyone. If an idiot wants to fly it in his yard, he should be able to.
Why does it make you uncomfortable?

The civil war had very little to do with slavery.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Because contrary to what most rednecks proclaim, the confederate flag is more of an in-your-face gesture against Black people. Most of the ones who proudly fly it are very prejudiced. That's my opinion from what I've seen.

oldngray

nowhere special
I wouldn't say very little, but it was more over strong state rights as opposed to strong federal government.

It was very much about states rights. Before then there was serious debate about whether states had the legal right to secede from the Union. The reason Lincoln started the war was to preserve the Union. Slavery was an issue but not the primary one and didn't become more important until later.

Brownslave688

Because contrary to what most rednecks proclaim, the confederate flag is more of an in-your-face gesture against Black people. Most of the ones who proudly fly it are very prejudiced. That's my opinion from what I've seen.
I think there's a ton of southerners (myself included) that see it as a symbol of southern pride. Nothing more.

I don't fly it simply because of how I'm affraid other's would view it. Your opinion in a very popular one.

bbsam

Staff member

Like it or not, the Confederacy is a defeated enemy of the United States of America. In that light, states flying the Confederate flag seems highly unsavory. Also, whether the Civil War had much or little to do with slavery, the treatment of blacks after the war proved how entrenched slavery was and how the Confederacy resented black sovereignty. That remained for decades and, fair or not, is woven into the flag for many Americans.

Brownslave688

image.jpg
Never gonna happen. Banning is fun.