confederate flag?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Personally, I believe that the blacks we're treated the way they were by whites was because the whites felt so insignificant after losing the war and being economically depressed, they wanted to feel superior to someone to boost their ego. "We may be poor and ignorant, but not as bad as those black folk." Slavery was a big thing only for rich people. Then, like now, it's all about money and power. And the people with both pull the strings on the rest of us. If they keep is fighting amount ourselves, then we won't be fighting them.

Just the opinion of an ignorant southern man.
Your reading to much into this
White folks just wanted somebody to pick there cotton. It's as simple as that

OPTION3

Wow. That is not even close to historically correct. Fort Sumter ring a bell?

You get this tripe from a chain e-mail?

BTW Robert E Lee (I assume that is who you are referring to), never owned slaves at all. That tells me your 'facts' are from a popular, but false, e-mail.

If I'm wrong, please list the sources for your imaginative retelling of the history of the Civil War.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1435813356.608839.jpg

Sportello

There you go straight from the national park service.http://www.nps.gov/arho/learn/historyculture/slavery.htm
Thank you. I'm very familiar with that.

I know there are big words in the article, but the slaves were not Lee's. They were Custis's. Lee was the executor of the estate. The slaves belonged to the estate, not Lee, and Lee freed them in accordance to the wishes of Custis.

In his will, George Washington Parke Custis stipulated that all the Arlington slaves should be freed upon his death if the estate was found to be in good financial standing or within five years otherwise. When Custis died in 1857, Robert E. Lee—the executor of the estate—determined that the slave labor was necessary to improve Arlington's financial status. The Arlington slaves found Lee to be a more stringent taskmaster than his predacessor. Eleven slaves were “hired out” while others were sent to the Pamunkey River estates. In accordance with Custis's instructions, Lee officially freed the slaves on December 29, 1862.

Thank you for proving my point, and actually reading real history, even if you didn't understand what you read.

OPTION3

The executor of an estate doesn't own anything in said estate. Their role is to liquidate assets to any heirs according to applicable laws.
The executor does if they were willed to his estate as per the article.....and the slaves said he was a far harder task master as well

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Regardless we are arguing about the head general of the south army. If the war was all about slavery you would think the man leading the fight would of had tons of slaves. For the last two years of the war he didn't.