confederate flag?

T

Turdferguson

And buy/sell/trade human beings like livestock.
No buy and sell agriculture which was the main source of income in southern states. I am not defending salvery by any means. My ancestors came to this country as indentured servants. My wife is African American. My two boys are racially mixed and I live in the south. I get the stares when we go out in public, and could give a crap.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
No buy and sell agriculture which was the main source of income in southern states. I am not defending salvery by any means. My ancestors came to this country as indentured servants. My wife is African American. My two boys are racially mixed and I live in the south. I get the stares when we go out in public, and could give a crap.
And this is the real reason for the War. The Northern states had voted in tariffs on the sale of Southern states produced goods to other countries. That way, the industrialized North could treat the South like a colony with pushed down prices for their goods, mainly cotton.

tourists24

They should have banned it long ago for use by state governments. Seeing the flag makes me very uncomfortable, but I don't think it should be banned for everyone. If an idiot wants to fly it in his yard, he should be able to.
Or if one wants to go with the popular view of the day without knowing the real history leading up to the Civil War, hey that's OK I guess

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
You do realize the north had plenty of slaves until they became industrialized.

They coincidently found their moral backbone after they had no real need for slaves anymore.

A FB friend of mine posted something I thought was pretty profound. I'll paraphrase it here.

"Imagine if your great grandfather was a slave. Imagine him being hunted down like a dog and lynched. Imagine your grandfather being forced to drink from a different water fountain on grounds he was unfit to drink a white man's water. Imagine your mother or father shot down in cold blood at church for simply being born with a darker skin tone.

Imagine this is your heritage. This is your history. Imagine if you can, being constantly reminded every time you ride past our State House, you're not only reminded of "your" heritage but, you're also reminded that your state's government not only allows a physical representation of your heritage to fly but, embraces it."

It's insulting. It's hurtful. It's embarrassing.

I've always held disdain for Nikki Haley for her anti-union position but, she's made the right call.

It's time. Time to prove to our countrymen, we're not the backwards-ass hillbillies you think we are.

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member
North had more casualties because all the generals were southern. Northern industry is what caused south to loose. The cultural and economic devastation they endured didn't seem too light to the people that endured it.
North had more casualties because they had to conquer and hold territory. They could have burned every building to the ground and enslaved or imprisoned every plantation owner. They could have taken away all representation in Washington and erased state lines altogether.

In light of what the North could have done, the South got off light.