Confiscating Cell Phones

sexyupsman

Thats a bunch of BS! It is quite important for all drivers to have a cell phone. What if there is an accident? What if there is an emergency at home? What happens if the driver is held at gun point? There is absolutely NO reason for all drivers to have a cell phone at all times. Dont drive and talk on your phone that is a problem. But to take a phone away from anybody is wrong. UPS has no right to determine that a cell phone is not an important part of a drivers life. This is a very important device in today society. It needs to be included if not paid for by UPS as a daily requirement.:peaceful:

backinbrown

respect my authority
In the bigger buildings, you have to be able to prove it is your cell phone and not something that was stolen by you or someone else while you are working. 705 has a thread floating around the BC about an employee being discharged for theft by association for buying a stolen cell phone from a coworker who reportedly stole it while working. HTH.

I had read 705 post

i didn't know that was an issue

with personel phones

kind of calling me a theif if i own a phone

backinbrown

respect my authority
and does that mean that the evil, untrustworthy management satan worshippers are not allowed to have their phones either? at our dispatch window, they posted a sign that use of cell phones was not allowed unless you were on lunch or break. then they tell you to call them from the road or ask you if you could call another driver for them!

I make no road call's but thank you for my cell phone monthly discount.

i will pull over and respond to your diad message though

and my next message will be over 9.5

UPSNewbie

Thats a bunch of BS! It is quite important for all drivers to have a cell phone. What if there is an accident? What if there is an emergency at home? What happens if the driver is held at gun point? There is absolutely NO reason for all drivers to have a cell phone at all times. Dont drive and talk on your phone that is a problem. But to take a phone away from anybody is wrong. UPS has no right to determine that a cell phone is not an important part of a drivers life. This is a very important device in today society. It needs to be included if not paid for by UPS as a daily requirement.:peaceful:

It's mainly for inside workers.

backinbrown

respect my authority
Here's some insight on cell phones and UPS hubs

First and foremost, the fast pace of our sorts really don't allow for employees to chat or text on their cell phone

Using a cell phone at a UPS facility, generally calls for stepping out of the building to hold a conversation.

Cell phones and wallets have been lost in trailers by employees loading the trailers, and sometimes the items are recovered at the destination and sometimes not, depending on how soon UPS is notified of the lost item, or the person unloading the trailer

Cell phones and pagers, have been known to be high theft items, internally, as some people like to upgrade their equipment or make a quick buck on the streeet

So if a cell phone is a necessity for an inside employee, the phone must be approved by the management team, and Security will register your phone and provide an approved sticker, which allows the employee to bring the phone on property.

As popular as cell phones are today, can you imagine everyone chatting or texting on their phones, when they should be working?

THANK YOU i really had no idea this was an issue

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
yeah, they wouldnt know that the phone is mine with 100 numbers and thirty or fourty pics of friends, family, and my pets. also the 200 songs. i can see how this could be confused with a brand new phone with no service and no wear.

UPSERNOJ

Here is a rather sticky issue at hand. One time, I accidental brought my personal phone with me into the building. I was informed that if it happened again, the phone would be permanently confiscated. Where does UPS have the right to keep my phone?

Years ago, I worked at Motorola through a temp agency and they tried to pull that stunt on me there. My solution was to call the police and file a theft charge against the person, not the company. Suffice to say, Motorola management did not keep my phone for long!

Accidental bringing in personal property is just that. In my case, I left the phone in my jean pocket. Early in the morning, I jumped into the jeans and head off to work in haste. I never even knew the phone was on me until several hours into my shift.

That makes totally no sense once so ever! I bet they have theirs on them! God forbid there is a family emergency and you need to be reached, cell phone...DUH.

UPSNewbie

yeah, they wouldnt know that the phone is mine with 100 numbers and thirty or fourty pics of friends, family, and my pets. also the 200 songs. i can see how this could be confused with a brand new phone with no service and no wear.

If someone wanted to get away with it, they really could. Ever heard of a microSD card? Phones use them now. As well as SIM cards. If a thief wanted it, and planned it, that could be done.

Just saying... It's not impossible.

Ptrunner

To the people who said dont bring the phone in and end the conversation. You have got to be kidding me. UPS can not say you cannot bring a cellphone in. What if your wife is pregnant or a serious accident happens at home. Yeah your kid died but no UPS says no cell phone allowed on the premise when all the supervisors have their votes. Just last night I saw three supes talking on their cellphones while their belts were getting hammered. And their not company issued. I dont think UPS has a deal with the iphone so theyre not company phones. Anyways this opens up the can of worms of drivers having cell phones. Youre going to get harrassemnt grievances left and right. Im wondering from the OP if this happens in their building or do they make drivers keep their phones home too.

over9five

Staff member
Altstewie has an excellent point. Why should drivers and sups be excluded from a no cell phone policy?

If UPS has a no cell phone policy, shouldn't it apply to all employees including management?

UPSNewbie

To the people who said dont bring the phone in and end the conversation. You have got to be kidding me. UPS can not say you cannot bring a cellphone in. What if your wife is pregnant or a serious accident happens at home. Yeah your kid died but no UPS says no cell phone allowed on the premise when all the supervisors have their votes. Just last night I saw three supes talking on their cellphones while their belts were getting hammered. And their not company issued. I dont think UPS has a deal with the iphone so theyre not company phones. Anyways this opens up the can of worms of drivers having cell phones. Youre going to get harrassemnt grievances left and right. Im wondering from the OP if this happens in their building or do they make drivers keep their phones home too.

You can get permission for those types of instances, but as a general rule, yes they can determine if you can or can not bring a cellphone onto THEIR property. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, I'm just saying how it is.

And sups with cell phones is a different matter... :angry: I saw the same thing when I was at UPS.

backinbrown

respect my authority
Altstewie has an excellent point. Why should drivers and sups be excluded from a no cell phone policy?

If UPS has a no cell phone policy, shouldn't it apply to all employees including management?

Next new memo

No personel items in package car

no pics of family because your mind should be on the next stop

no duffle bags because you could be stuffing it with QVC items

no lunch boxes because you should be running your lunch

no extra change of clothes because you may sell them on street for lunch

over9five

Staff member
no pics of family because your mind should be on the next stop

They tried that here. Went around and removed personal pictures from package cars without telling us first.
Big revolt on that one. They have personal pictures on their desks, how is that different? I think they went back to allowing it.

UPSNewbie

Sorry, I didn't think about the instances that occur while at work.

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
How did anyone know the OP had accidently brought his phone in?

In my hub, "Part-timers are not permitted to bring cell phones in the building", has been the policy for a couple of years. It's posted at all entrances. Full-timers are permitted to bring phones to work. Originally, you had to get an ugly yellow UPS sticker applied to your phone, in order to bring it into work, but, I haven't seen a sticker for years.

Does anyone remember when, just a few years ago, people were able to leave their home and go about their day without one? :happy-very:

feeder53

ADKtrails
When I report for feeders, I have my radio, gloves and other items that use during my day and I walk right by security with my gym bag to my tractor and they call me on my phone at times too. I have never had an issue yet.