Confiscating Cell Phones

backinbrown

respect my authority
They tried that here. Went around and removed personal pictures from package cars without telling us first.
Big revolt on that one. They have personal pictures on their desks, how is that different? I think they went back to allowing it.

wow thats pushing it at least ask me to take it down hope they did not throw away

i would have a big problem with that

take your stinking paws off my photo you damn dirty ape

UPSNewbie

How did anyone know the OP had accidently brought his phone in?

In my hub, "Part-timers are not permitted to bring cell phones in the building", has been the policy for a couple of years. It's posted at all entrances. Full-timers are permitted to bring phones to work. Originally, you had to get an ugly yellow UPS sticker applied to your phone, in order to bring it into work, but, I haven't seen a sticker for years.

Does anyone remember when, just a few years ago, people were able to leave their home and go about their day without one? :happy-very:

He said he did, but was told that if brought in again, it would be taken away--permanently.

*thinks*Theft from management!

Ptrunner

You can get permission for those types of instances, but as a general rule, yes they can determine if you can or can not bring a cellphone onto THEIR property. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, I'm just saying how it is.

And sups with cell phones is a different matter... :angry: I saw the same thing when I was at UPS.

Over9five said this They tried that here. Went around and removed personal pictures from package cars without telling us first.
Big revolt on that one. They have personal pictures on their desks, how is that different? I think they went back to allowing it.

So if this building felt it was necessary to treat supervisors the same as hourlies then in this case it would be ethically to do the same.

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
How did anyone know the OP had accidently brought his phone in?

He said he did, but was told that if brought in again, it would be taken away--permanently.

*thinks*Theft from management!

I just read it again, and I don't understand how management knew that he had his phone in his pocket. Did he tell management that he accidently brought his phone to work, or was he seen using it?

backinbrown

respect my authority
I just read it again, and I don't understand how management knew that he had his phone in his pocket. Did he tell management that he accidently brought his phone to work, or was he seen using it?

Probably went something like this

Is that a cell phone in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

chopstic

Click here.

They do it because of the untrustworthy asses that sometimes show up at UPS.

UPS has no idea if that phone came from a package or your cell phone store. And if they know it came from a store, why take a chance with other people?

(My understanding.)

Your absolutely right... Clothes have also been an issue with theft, so from now on you need to enter the building with absolutely no clothes on. I've also heard that kidneys are being stolen and sold in the black market, so could you please also remove those before entering the building.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Next new memo

No personel items in package car

no pics of family because your mind should be on the next stop

no duffle bags because you could be stuffing it with QVC items

no lunch boxes because you should be running your lunch

no extra change of clothes because you may sell them on street for lunch
stop giving them ideas knucklehead!!! j/k my maine bro

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Most people are adult enough to keep cell phones on them,but know when to use them! Certainly not while driving or unloading or any other work function that is being done.I think UPS's problem is with the Generation X crowd,the ones that have 400 tattoos and pants down to their ankles with more hardware in their nose & face than they have at Home Depot.This generation dosn't for the most part have the brains or the curtousy as the baby boomers or even the guys in their mid 30's. Their world is the instant have it all have it now and it's all about me! Never had to wait for a meal,Mcdonalds right away,quik micrwave poof quick never had to find friends to go out & play ball,Playstation,all instant gratification.I think it shows in the attitudes of them compared to the boomers & 30 yr olds.This is UPS future!! So yah,they would be on the phone or texting while unloading,sorting or even bringing a pkg to someones front door! But this is the yr 2009 & we all relie on the phone.Just no when its ok to use it. agree with Channon register it with UPS, but UPS ain't my father & can't just take it away from me!!!!

Kraetos

Preload, Loader
This has never been a problem at my hub. People bring MP3's, cell phones, Ipods, but they did tell us not to bring our big radios anymore. Too bad cause I like to listen to Bob & Tom show while I'm working, but I can pick it up on my MP3.

As for Supervisors using cell phones, they use them in my building to communicate with eachother to ask for help or telling upper levels about bulk and splits; I guess UPS was too cheap to buy walkie-talkie's for them.

This March 1st policy I heard someone mention is interesting, I wonder if they press my building about it. Not likely, but we'll see.

Last edited:

Tiny Panda

This sounds bizarre, we have guys using their phones all the time in the ctr, going off during PCM,s/meetings etc. We're expected to use our own phones whilst on the road if wqe need to call in etc

backinbrown

respect my authority
This sounds bizarre, we have guys using their phones all the time in the ctr, going off during PCM,s/meetings etc. We're expected to use our own phones whilst on the road if wqe need to call in etc

if you want post their names here ups monitors will stugg them:funny:

Tiny Panda

I'd have to list the whole 50 odd drivers as well as loaders etc.

Actually i use mine to get hold of someone the other end of the warehouse, either that or walkie talkies

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
This has never been a problem at my hub. People bring MP3's, cell phones, Ipods, but they did tell us not to bring our big radios anymore. Too bad cause I like to listen to Bob & Tom show while I'm working, but I can pick it up on my MP3.

As for Supervisors using cell phones, they use them in my building to communicate with eachother to ask for help or telling upper levels about bulk and splits; I guess UPS was too cheap to buy walkie-talkie's for them.

This March 1st policy I heard someone mention is interesting, I wonder if they press my building about it. Not likely, but we'll see.

It's nationwide from what I was told

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It's bad and it's nationwide from what I was told

Well I was movin down the road in my v-8 ford,

I had a shine on my boots, I had my sideburns lowered.

With my new york brim and my gold tooth displayed, :grill:
Nobody give me trouble cause they know I got it made.

Im bad, Im nationwide.