Confiscating Cell Phones

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
There are several issues that also play into what has been posted.

The larger radios have been banned at most buildings because of the need of power. Several people have died while messing with the radio's because they were wet with sweat and the radio shorted out.

It has also been a source of issues with what to listen to and how loud. Nothing like the village idiot cranking out punk tunes at 95 decibels for everyones enjoyment. So if he cant listen to his style of music at his volume then no one else can either.

I loved those kind of guys filing on their fellow workers. Not.

Then a bunch decided to use the MP style players for private listening. Two problems there. Proof of ownership and not being able to hear what is going on around you. It like the boom boxes ended up a safety issue.

Cell phone use by inside employees in the building is vastly different than for drivers.

d

Braveheart

They tried that in our building and the union stepped in to say many of these employees are the only emergency contact for their families. Do the mangers leave their personal phones in their cars. No they do not. It is flat out discrimination! We drivers use our phones on our dime to help these ungrateful managers throughout our hectic days without being reimbursed.

They can check which phone you have when you go in with so it does not get upgraded sure. That is it!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
OK, so why not walk out to his car on his break?

I think we coulda ended the thread right there....

Agreed!

That's is what I would have done. One thing you can bet your sweet bippy on is that I would not hand it over to a sup or center manager.

Ditto!

Here's some insight on cell phones and UPS hubs

First and foremost, the fast pace of our sorts really don't allow for employees to chat or text on their cell phone

Using a cell phone at a UPS facility, generally calls for stepping out of the building to hold a conversation.

Cell phones and wallets have been lost in trailers by employees loading the trailers, and sometimes the items are recovered at the destination and sometimes not, depending on how soon UPS is notified of the lost item, or the person unloading the trailer

Cell phones and pagers, have been known to be high theft items, internally, as some people like to upgrade their equipment or make a quick buck on the streeet

So if a cell phone is a necessity for an inside employee, the phone must be approved by the management team, and Security will register your phone and provide an approved sticker, which allows the employee to bring the phone on property.

As popular as cell phones are today, can you imagine everyone chatting or texting on their phones, when they should be working?

Good points!

Thats a bunch of BS! It is quite important for all drivers to have a cell phone. What if there is an accident? Cellphones do not prevent accidents, or death for that matter, and what could you really do for the party involved? What if there is an emergency at home? You wouldn't be able to do anything anyways. What happens if the driver is held at gun point? I don't think that cell phones are made of kevlar, and wouldn't the person on the other end of the gun get a little upset if you asked them to make a call? There is absolutely NO reason for all drivers to have a cell phone at all times. Agreed! Dont drive and talk on your phone that is a problem. But to take a phone away from anybody is wrong. UPS has no right to determine that a cell phone is not an important part of a drivers life. This is a very important device in today society. It needs to be included if not paid for by UPS as a daily requirement.:peaceful:

I was joking, but not really. Those scenario's you desribed are out of your control. Having a cell phone doesn't change the event, or the outcome.

To the people who said dont bring the phone in and end the conversation. You have got to be kidding me. UPS can not say you cannot bring a cellphone in. What if your wife is pregnant or a serious accident happens at home. Yeah your kid died but no UPS says no cell phone allowed on the premise when all the supervisors have their votes. Just last night I saw three supes talking on their cellphones while their belts were getting hammered. And their not company issued. I dont think UPS has a deal with the iphone so theyre not company phones. Anyways this opens up the can of worms of drivers having cell phones. Youre going to get harrassemnt grievances left and right. Im wondering from the OP if this happens in their building or do they make drivers keep their phones home too.

Your scenarios are also, out of your control. Except for the pregnant wife, who I am assuming has gone into labor, and you wanted to be there for the birth.

You can get permission for those types of instances, but as a general rule, yes they can determine if you can or can not bring a cellphone onto THEIR property. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, I'm just saying how it is.

And sups with cell phones is a different matter... :angry: I saw the same thing when I was at UPS.

You're right about it being their property. What do you mean, when you were, at UPS?

Does anyone remember when, just a few years ago, people were able to leave their home and go about their day without one? :happy-very:

I still do!

wow thats pushing it at least ask me to take it down hope they did not throw away

i would have a big problem with that

take your stinking paws off my photo you damn dirty ape

LOL, nice one, bib.

Most people are adult enough to keep cell phones on them,but know when to use them! Certainly not while driving or unloading or any other work function that is being done.I think UPS's problem is with the Generation X crowd,the ones that have 400 tattoos and pants down to their ankles with more hardware in their nose & face than they have at Home Depot.This generation dosn't for the most part have the brains or the curtousy as the baby boomers or even the guys in their mid 30's. Their world is the instant have it all have it now and it's all about me! Never had to wait for a meal,Mcdonalds right away,quik micrwave poof quick never had to find friends to go out & play ball,Playstation,all instant gratification.I think it shows in the attitudes of them compared to the boomers & 30 yr olds.This is UPS future!! So yah,they would be on the phone or texting while unloading,sorting or even bringing a pkg to someones front door! But this is the yr 2009 & we all relie on the phone.Just no when its ok to use it. agree with Channon register it with UPS, but UPS ain't my father & can't just take it away from me!!!!

Wow, lacks political correctness, I like it!

This has never been a problem at my hub. People bring MP3's, cell phones, Ipods, but they did tell us not to bring our big radios anymore. Too bad cause I like to listen to Bob & Tom show while I'm working, but I can pick it up on my MP3.

As for Supervisors using cell phones, they use them in my building to communicate with eachother to ask for help or telling upper levels about bulk and splits; I guess UPS was too cheap to buy walkie-talkie's for them.

This March 1st policy I heard someone mention is interesting, I wonder if they press my building about it. Not likely, but we'll see.

Your center is bass ackwards, anyways. AND STOP LETTING YOUR DRIVERS IN THEIR CARS BEFORE START TIME!!!

They tried that in our building and the union stepped in to say many of these employees are the only emergency contact for their families. Do the mangers leave their personal phones in their cars. No they do not. It is flat out discrimination! We drivers use our phones on our dime to help these ungrateful managers throughout our hectic days without being reimbursed.

They can check which phone you have when you go in with so it does not get upgraded sure. That is it!

Why do you do that? I refuse to get a cell phone. Need to contact me during the day? Call my work and they'll get a message to me. I don't want to be hassled with phone calls throughout my day, as I'm busy enough. That's it, I'm heading back to the 70's, anybody with me?:peaceful:

Johngil

Here is a no win situation. Remember this, if say your at a larger facility like a hub that has a security guard and he confiscates your phone that's one thing. But never and I repeat never give your personal property to ups management. Say no and have them go through the proper Channels. If its a discipline thing make sure you have a steward with you. and make sure things are documented. if you just give management your phone they probably would ether throw it in the trash or sell it themselves (you just cant trust ups management)

And here lies the problem with 98% of daily operations. You dont trust us, we dont trust you... blah blah blah. Just get your job done, will you please.. Clock out, go home, be with your family. Let's all thank god that we have jobs in this economy.. not to mention raises.

backinbrown

respect my authority
Next new memo

No personel items in package car

no pics of family because your mind should be on the next stop

no duffle bags because you could be stuffing it with QVC items

no lunch boxes because you should be running your lunch

no extra change of clothes because you may sell them on street for lunch

I just got the memo

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
There is a new policy for drivers in the Oregon district that all cellphones and personal electronic devices must be kept in the back of the truck and cannot be in the cab. The intent of the rule is to prevent drivers from being distracted while driving.

I dont talk on my phone while driving, but I refuse to store it in the back. Instead, I disobey the rule and clip it to the visor so that, in the event of a traffic accident, I can reach it to call 911 instead of having it stuck behind a locked door in a wrecked vehicle.

There is a winding country road I deliver on every day that has had 9 fatalities during the 15 years I have been on the route....in a 7.2 mile stretch. Both sides of the road are lined with little crosses and memorials for the people who have died there. The road is unlit, narrow, curvy, and typically driven at a far higher rate of speed than is safe. I have had dozens of near-misses and close calls on this road. I'm not going to drive it without having a phone available.

squirlygirly

Having a cell phone in my building is the ONLY WAY to contact a supervisor that is no where to be found, contacting management when setting up our load wall (that I do) and wrong sized trucks are in position. The hell if I'm gonna walk from one end of the building to the other to let them know that , "Hey, check it out! Your drivers screwed up again!" I did do that for a while, maybe a week, til it became a daily thing. Because guess what I got blamed for...wandering around doing nothing?!?

As far as the MP3 players, it's always been a standing rule in our building, "As long as you only have 1 earphone in".

Until management is willing to "bow down" to their own rules by not using them first, they're gonna have a HELLAVA fight on their plates!!! GOOD LUCK to them!!!

Those scenario's you desribed are out of your control. Having a cell phone doesn't change the event, or the outcome.

Why do you do that? I refuse to get a cell phone. Need to contact me during the day? Call my work and they'll get a message to me. I don't want to be hassled with phone calls throughout my day, as I'm busy enough. That's it, I'm heading back to the 70's, anybody with me?:peaceful:
Here's a scenario for ya Steve. Let's say for some reason your wife is out of pocket for a few hours today. One of your beautiful daughters gets hurt, not life threatening but bad enough to need immediate medical care. If they (the hospital) can't get in touch with you or your wife, treatment is withheld. With a cell phone you can give permission to treat and then you can head your tiny hiny toward the hospital to see about the precious little girl. Plus you can call your boss and tell him he can come get your package car at the hospital.

A personal experience. One morning as I was heading out on route to a town 60-65 miles from the center, my sell phone rings, I pull over and answer it. My brother was calling to tell me that Mom had taken a turn for the worst, she was nearing the end. I hing up, called the center to tell them what was happening and I was on my way back in. They sent another driver in an empty PC to meet me and take the route. LSS, she passed away early the next morning but could have gone at anytime. If it had been necessary, I would have traded my job to be with her in those final hours. Those hours were made possible for me because I had a cell phone. Some things are just more important than UPS.

Last edited:
W

westsideworma

Supposedly theres a new company policy starting March 1st that bans all cell phones and mp3 players from all buildings

whats next? the personal radios that our loaders use?

many of the supes in my building use them during the shift (cells), myself included as many of our radios dont work well.

Loco170Brownie

Dannyboy said:
There are several issues that also play into what has been posted.

The larger radios have been banned at most buildings because of the need of power. Several people have died while messing with the radio's because they were wet with sweat and the radio shorted out.

Um, your kidding right? So a sweaty loader went to unplug his/her radio and got fried....... MAYBE one freak accident with the root of the problem being some bad wiring, but several. I hope I am not the only one that didn't buy this one.

But more on topic, My understanding when the "no cell phone" rule came out years ago was it was about the buildings and the thought that it could interfere with all the UPS communication devices. Now that was years ago, and as many people have said it is common practice to use them in our Hub and on the road.

I do not use mine for work unless it is in my best interest on a personal level. Such as I am trying to get out in time to see my kids game or something and making a quick call, while safely pulled over at a stop, is going to save me time. Now on a normal day I will go through the longer process of sending messages through the DIAD and more often than not with my office get wrong advice, directions, or dispatch. I will not give out my number to management, and only to a couple drivers I know well enough not to be calling me for work stuff all day.

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
Most people are adult enough to keep cell phones on them,but know when to use them! Certainly not while driving or unloading or any other work function that is being done.I think UPS's problem is with the Generation X crowd,the ones that have 400 tattoos and pants down to their ankles with more hardware in their nose & face than they have at Home Depot.This generation dosn't for the most part have the brains or the curtousy as the baby boomers or even the guys in their mid 30's. Their world is the instant have it all have it now and it's all about me! Never had to wait for a meal,Mcdonalds right away,quik micrwave poof quick never had to find friends to go out & play ball,Playstation,all instant gratification.I think it shows in the attitudes of them compared to the boomers & 30 yr olds.This is UPS future!! So yah,they would be on the phone or texting while unloading,sorting or even bringing a pkg to someones front door! But this is the yr 2009 & we all relie on the phone.Just no when its ok to use it. agree with Channon register it with UPS, but UPS ain't my father & can't just take it away from me!!!!

Cove,
I couldn't agree more! They think the world owes them everything! I have a place on my route where the receiving dock is run by a bunch of 20-somethings. They see me coming and know that I have a ton of pkgs for them. They put their cell phones in their pockets, snuff out the cigarette's, and walk away. That never would have happend with the guys that worked there before them! They came right out and helped unload the stuff. They had a better work ethic. Got time to lean-got time to clean!

outta hours

Call the police (from your friends phone) and report your phone stolen. Give them persons name who took it. It happened at my hub, the police came and the p/t'er got his phone back.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
There is a new policy for drivers in the Oregon district that all cellphones and personal electronic devices must be kept in the back of the truck and cannot be in the cab. The intent of the rule is to prevent drivers from being distracted while driving.

I dont talk on my phone while driving, but I refuse to store it in the back. Instead, I disobey the rule and clip it to the visor so that, in the event of a traffic accident, I can reach it to call 911 instead of having it stuck behind a locked door in a wrecked vehicle.

There is a winding country road I deliver on every day that has had 9 fatalities during the 15 years I have been on the route....in a 7.2 mile stretch. Both sides of the road are lined with little crosses and memorials for the people who have died there. The road is unlit, narrow, curvy, and typically driven at a far higher rate of speed than is safe. I have had dozens of near-misses and close calls on this road. I'm not going to drive it without having a phone available.

I'm just thinking, if you get into a collision of any sort, with your cell phone "clipped" to the visor, It will very likely fly off and/or be detroyed in the collision, jmo. You may want to secure it somewhere safer, so this doesn't happen.

Here's a scenario for ya Steve. Let's say for some reason your wife is out of pocket for a few hours today. One of your beautiful daughters gets hurt, not life threatening but bad enough to need immediate medical care. If they (the hospital) can't get in touch with you or your wife, treatment is withheld. With a cell phone you can give permission to treat and then you can head your tiny hiny toward the hospital to see about the precious little girl. Plus you can call your boss and tell him he can come get your package car at the hospital.

A personal experience. One morning as I was heading out on route to a town 60-65 miles from the center, my sell phone rings, I pull over and answer it. My brother was calling to tell me that Mom had taken a turn for the worst, she was nearing the end. I hing up, called the center to tell them what was happening and I was on my way back in. They sent another driver in an empty PC to meet me and take the route. LSS, she passed away early the next morning but could have gone at anytime. If it had been necessary, I would have traded my job to be with her in those final hours. Those hours were made possible for me because I had a cell phone. Some things are just more important than UPS.

I totally understand your point, and thanks for the lovely description of my girls. This is just the way I operate, 555. I'm sure that my daughter has the emergency contact info on her person. The phone would ring at work, and the oms would get in touch with me, as needed.

If I'm at home, but away at that moment, I'd get the message and respond after listening. I'm not big on worrying, as there's really no point. jmho, as always. I'll probably get bombarded with scenario's after this post, but this is just the way I'm programmed.

Cove,
I couldn't agree more! They think the world owes them everything! I have a place on my route where the receiving dock is run by a bunch of 20-somethings. They see me coming and know that I have a ton of pkgs for them. They put their cell phones in their pockets, snuff out the cigarette's, and walk away. That never would have happend with the guys that worked there before them! They came right out and helped unload the stuff. They had a better work ethic. Got time to lean-got time to clean!

Times are changing. Let's just hope that we're still around, when times change back.:wink2:

For all those that want to hide your phone numbers. I know that if you dial *67 on a regular phone before you dial the number, this blocks the receivers caller ID from registering your number. There must be something or maybe the same thing, when dialing from a cell phone

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Um, your kidding right? So a sweaty loader went to unplug his/her radio and got fried....... MAYBE one freak accident with the root of the problem being some bad wiring, but several. I hope I am not the only one that didn't buy this one.
Um, No I was not kidding.

And the root cause is not bad wiring.

You get the same result if you take your radio into the shower with you. Moisture goes down into the radio from the part timer. The outlets are not ground fault, as a result, the part timer gets a lethal dose of juice.

Its that simple. That is why they went from no regs to you can have a radio, but it can not be plugged in, has to run off batteries.

So for those of us that have been around for a while, you are probably
the only one that didn't buy this one.

d

Big Babooba

if you want post their names here ups monitors will stugg them:funny:
I think Merriam - Webster will have to add stug to their list of new words.
Stug (stug) v. To have something rammed into your behind without the courtesy of lubricant. My boss is going to stug me today. -ed I got stugged by the boss today! -ing I'm going to enjoy stugging all those paht-timahs tomorrah!
n. Steve Stug got stugged by the man.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Nice.......I also wanted to say that my wife does have a cell phone. She wanted one, so I got her one. I also am not saying that you are all fools for having cell phones. I'm saying "I" don't want/need one. On the other hand, and this is jmo, I hate to see drivers on their cell phones, while driving. This is for all drivers, cars, trucks, buses, etc...

I especially do not like to see UPS drivers on their cell phones, while driving. I'm talking about the drivers that keep the phone pasted to their ears from the time they leave the building to the time they return. What, are you an air traffic controller, trying to land planes safely? I see absolutely no reason for this behavior.