Conflict of Interest??

What I find interesting is that this thread was started a year and 8 months ago and the OP never posted on this thread again.
In fact this is the one and only post the OP ever made.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
true, but the story is the same in a lot of different places. i went to other centers in the district to show them how we implimented our safety committee, and some of the stories i heard were appalling.

but the same team that mismanaged the safety team also mismanaged edd, pas etc. instead of being a tool to do your job better, it became another harness in what the driver had to deal with. and while in places it has become better.........

you do wonder about posters like that though, why they never posted back.

ata does have a way of gleaning the archives to find some golden oldies. must have been on my vacation that year ;0)

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
helen

sat being frim another country is using the term :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:e. it is a proper english term that was amerianised by dropping the e at the end which gave the i a short sound instead of the proper long i sound.

does that explain it for you:wink2:

hint sh--it--e

d

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
but remember, tyranny runs free when good men stand by and do nothing. its your safety committee. if you let management take it away from you, shame on you.

The problem here is that it ISNT "our" safety committee...it never was and it never will be, as long as management continues giving preferential treatment (in the form of lighter dispatches and earlier start times) to the employees on the committee. These members have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo, and they arent going to bite the tit that they are feeding off of. They represent UPS management, not UPS employees. So UPS winds up with what it always wanted....a committee that rubber-stamps its proposals, doesnt hold the company accountable to anything, and helps the company pass Keter audits and create the illusion of a safe workplace without actually doing anything meaningful or relevant.

As far as the so-called "steward" who is moonlighting as a management wannabe...he needs to be brought up on charges in front of the local unions Executive Board. He also needs to get his ass kicked.

atatbl

I can't believe you people keep responding to these 2 year old posts that atabl keeps dragging up.

I'm not the only one. Myself and another person kind of started a competition without really agreeing to compete. You may know that poster. I think he might be a moderator..... not sure.....

BROWN430

Ok, hope I get some feedback here. Our union steward, a real stickler for details and the bane of the company here, is also serving as the chairman of the safety committee. Occasionally the center manager gives him a "safety day" to be off road and do safety related things at the center. Recently, he and the center manager have been doubling up in the managers’ personal vehicle and spying on drivers, watching for those who aren't wearing a seatbelt, pulling their keys, etc.... One driver got a warning letter for running while delivering packages, and a couple of the drivers have ended up getting warning letters due to some of these activities. There is no trust or teamwork and the moral of the center is in the toilet. The steward/safety chairman loves the attention he gets from this and really gets a big power trip from wielding his new found authority. Of course, after the employee gets into trouble, the steward then has a responsibility to defend/represent the employee. Other employees have offered to be the safety chairman, but the steward won't budge and the manager won't make any changes. Anybody else see a problem with this? Does the union support this kind of conflict? I'm concerned and puzzled. Any help here?? Thanks
we had that problem with a driver ( a suck ass and lazy) he would do anything to get out of work. He would do an audit on the building that would tame all day so he would not have to drive. He knew where drivers would be at certain times of the day and would set them up to fail. He would ride with sups. and tell them where they could find so and so. They would follow them round till they made a mistake and sups. would get out and ream the driver while the snake hid in the car. He got caught and turned in to the union for it. He stopped being on the safety comm. He was and still is the most hated driver in our center. What a piece of work

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
we had that problem with a driver ( a suck ass and lazy) he would do anything to get out of work. He would do an audit on the building that would tame all day so he would not have to drive. He knew where drivers would be at certain times of the day and would set them up to fail. He would ride with sups. and tell them where they could find so and so. They would follow them round till they made a mistake and sups. would get out and ream the driver while the snake hid in the car. He got caught and turned in to the union for it. He stopped being on the safety comm. He was and still is the most hated driver in our center. What a piece of work

This is happening in our center as well. It's wrong. The only people who should be spying on drivers are managers, not other hourlies.
If you're on the safety committee, this is part of your job. I don't mean trying to get driver's or others in trouble, but trying to keep them safe. When a bad/faulty behavior is found, the driver should be told about it so they can correct this behavior. That is the way it's "supposed" to work.

This Steward needs a good Tune-up! If yah know what I mean. :)
I agree that this Steward should not be on this committee as it is a conflict. The conflict being the handing out of discipline and not just corrective advice.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Re: Conflict of Intrest??

Looks like we are all puzzled !!
Imagine a shop stewart that truly cares about the safety of the drivers --- spends his time making sure the safety committee operates correctly -----Drivers running ??? Drivers not wearing seat belts. Lets get a business agent to take out this shop stewart. MAYBE THEN SOME DRIVER CAN LOSE HIS LIFE OR GET SERIOUSLY HURT --- When will some people just grow up------When mgmt and union work together safe working conditions can become a reality.Would you rather a driver who is stupid enough not to care about himself or his family---refuses to wear a seatbelt ------ or gets a "dreaded warning letter"

No one is complaining about safety, and the Union is the biggest supporter of safety, however this is a big time nono by a Union rep, or any other hourly employee. No ourly should ever be involved in the discipline of another, especially a Union representative.

His BA shold absolutely be informed of this!!!!!

grgrcr88

Re: Conflict of Intrest??

it's obvious that you missed the whole point here....it has nothing to do with union and management working together....it is the job of the management to give warnings to an employee who is not following the proper methods...it is the steward's job to represent the employee if he gets caught not following those methods...so how do you not see a conflict of inrest here??? I would like to know if the same steward/safty guy is working with the same manager to make sure that a driver is not over dispatched and that his truck is loaded properly...there for not having to run or or leave the keys in the truck...or not put on his seat belt.....But i think we both already know the answer to that...dont we.....and what about the pre-load guy's being burried up to their waist in packages at 5 A.M. in the morning...is the steward/safty/management team working on that too??? and by the way i have never seen a ups driver who "refuses" to wear his seat belt...but i no a few who need to cut what ever corner possible to get the job done...whether it's rite or wrong they do what ever it takes to get the job done.....only to have an extra 15-20 stop's the next day...and then if they do talk to the steward thet are just told to "suck it up" and deal with it.

Although I agree with your comments about the conflict of interest, Yo have alot to learn my friend!!

If you or any other driver are cutting corners to get the job done, you are only screwing yourself as well as your fellow teamsters.

Example: You come in early to go thru your load, you run all day long skip your lunch and break and get done with 170 stops in 8 1/2 hours. The management team sees they can give you another hour or two of work the next day and you will still get that done! Now if 4 people have done the same thing that is one less route that needs to be dispatched and one less driver!!!

If you follow the methods work at a brisk pace and run the same route but take 10 hours to run the 170 stops on a consistent basis, you can now file a 9.5 grievance and have stops removed and if all drivers did this you could put multiple new routes on the street!!!

grgrcr88

there are several things about this whole thread that stinks or is wrong.

first off i was both a shop steward and a safety cochair, elected to both by the drivers.

Secondly, i did gi out several times with management to follow up on drivers during the day to day operations. that is the only way for us to ever know what we need to work on when it comes to safety.

Thirdly, while on observations it was with the blessing of the union. but it was with the understanding that if a driver was not using proper methods (with the exception of not wearing seat belts) that no disaplinary action would be taken besides being talked to both on road and followed up with the next day. no warning letters were to be given while we were both watching the drivers work.

Fourthly, there were several times where we did catch a driver not wearing their seat belts. normally that would have been grounds for imediate dismissal. period. so that actually saved the drivers job

Fifth, there were several times where i did observations by myself. all the information the company got was the number of drivers i observed, the number and type of "issues" that were observed. period. no names, no routes, nothing to identify the actual driver.

now, the next day i would privately talk to the driver and ask them to please follow the safety requirements of their job. and that would be the end of it. all private records i had remained that way, private. just like private conversations between myself and someone i am representing. no management intervention.

The company got their raw data they wanted, the safety committee had a list if what they needed to focus on. and the safety committee worked like it was designed to work. senior drivers taking interest in the safety of the newer drivers.

case in point. i set up one morning about a half mile from the gate. 22% of the drivers on the road did not have their belts on, 65% had the bulkhead doors open, three had still not unfolded their rear view mirrors, one had not hooked the chain to the tp60, and one had the back door open. 21 of the drivers were on the phone, 4 had the diads in their hands against the steering wheels.

No names, just fact. and as you can see, a lot of serious issues to fix

now
this is what really bothers me. if he seeks the attention he is the wrong person for the job. the job of cochair is not that of power, but instead service. if true, it is a violation of the trust that both the union and the company has vested in him, and he should resign from both.

JMHO

d

Spot on, Great post!!!

BROWN430

If you're on the safety committee, this is part of your job. I don't mean trying to get driver's or others in trouble, but trying to keep them safe. When a bad/faulty behavior is found, the driver should be told about it so they can correct this behavior. That is the way it's "supposed" to work.

I agree that this Steward should not be on this committee as it is a conflict. The conflict being the handing out of discipline and not just corrective advice.

BROWN430

I agree with working safe but to ride with sups. and try to find something to get someone in trouble for is not right when u are an hourly. The rest of us in this center will pull someone to the side if we see or hear of them doing something wrong. We don't try to help management terminate someone. That's what they get paid to do. We get paid to deliver packages in a safe timely manner. With a smile on our face of course..........LOL