confused and ticked

over9five

Staff member
I have found that mentioning you will be contacting the local police department also helps to get a positive DFU.

+1
I always say, "Did you report the theft of your package to the police?"
"Uhh...n-no...."
"I'll call them for you if you like"
"Uhh....nevermind...uhhh...let me sign that for you"

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The first time they make a driver in my building pay for a claim everyone of my stops is getting a sig. except the shipper release packages.

+1

Obviously we as drivers need to excercise common sense, but the reality is this; when UPS implemented Driver Release many years ago, it was making a business decision that the cost of paying the claims that would inevitably result was outweighed by the decrease in labor costs that would be realized thru increased productivity.

It was a calculated financial decision, and it was a good one...but it means that, as a driver, I refuse to get all worked up about the occasional claim. Its all part of the cost of doing business.

brownedout

I have found that mentioning you will be contacting the local police department also helps to get a positive DFU.

Same here, along with the mere mention that we will no longer be able to release your package(s) without a sig/sdn. (Hey ups upside down how cool!)

Said mention usually results in such a puzzled look that the only reply you can make is, would you like to check with everyone in the household including the housekeeper/maid? Amazing when you return the next day the package was put in some untraveled location by grown child or housekeeper.

rod

Retired 22 years
+1

Obviously we as drivers need to excercise common sense, but the reality is this; when UPS implemented Driver Release many years ago, it was making a business decision that the cost of paying the claims that would inevitably result was outweighed by the decrease in labor costs that would be realized thru increased productivity.

It was a calculated financial decision, and it was a good one...but it means that, as a driver, I refuse to get all worked up about the occasional claim. Its all part of the cost of doing business.

Kind of reminds me of a center manager I had for awhile who said " throw that paperwork away- if its really important they will send it out again". I don't imagine that would go over very good now days but he was right. Sometimes you would never hear about claim again after ignoring it the first time.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
One of our drivers had a follow-up some time back. I think it was a computer. The driver went to the house and the resident claimed that they never received it. On the way back to the truck he looked in the trash can (it was trash day and the can was out on the street). Imagine that, the computer box was in the trash can. People are really stupid sometimes. :knockedout:

SWORDFISH

One of our drivers had a follow-up some time back. I think it was a computer. The driver went to the house and the resident claimed that they never received it. On the way back to the truck he looked in the trash can (it was trash day and the can was out on the street). Imagine that, the computer box was in the trash can. People are really stupid sometimes. :knockedout:

I know a guy that had a claim made on his route. The driver was convinced the guy was lying so he looked around and found the label for the package so anyway the person making the claim got in some trouble.

Re-Raise

I've always made any DR stops that file a claim sig req from that point forward, esp now that telematics is being used and shows pkg was del to correct location. We don't get the did you del it to the right house? anymore, our follow-ups have google map satellite photos with point of stop complete noted to show customer when we do follow-ups. Thats helped many of our drivers in getting positive follow-ups on claims, as long as they're using the correct methods and stop completing at point of delivery.

Same here. the few claims I have had I tell them on the driver followup they will have to sign for every package they ever get from me from that point on.

I can recall three off the top of my head that called the center later to tell them they found the package.

brownedout

I had the same kind of experience with a Tiffany delivery.