Confused regarding seasonal & my prospects

I applied for a baggage handler and the interviewer elected to place me as a driver helper here in Hawaii. My entire process went as such:

I applied on a Monday on 9/22, calld on Wednesday 9/24 to interview on Thursday 9/25. Went for interview he decided I was fit for driver helper position, summoned me right then & there for uniform fitting. Completed my fitting, and asked to complete the second part of the application process (w4, I9, sexual harassment and the rest).

I was then told I would hear back in mid to late October. I followed up with the administrative person who took possession of my identification and uniform and she told me orientation is middle of November.

I look at the website and it shows active 9/24. I am bit concerned that the recruiter placed me as seasonal as I was initially available 24/7? Am I wrong to think I as hired before October 15 because that is the per the a Union contract states seasonal hires are after October 15!!

Am I wrong to think that I stand a good chance to be let go after holidays? Or do you perhaps know that I can make an impression on my driver that the higher ups (management) may decide to keep me on after holidays?

Should I let it be known I prefer baggage handler instead to increase my chances of being retained after holidays?

If anybody can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 193
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 228

tadpole

The date that counts is the 1st day you work/train. That will be considered your hire date. Driver helpers are seasonal. You will be let go after peak.
That being said, UPS is always hiring, and it wouldn't be unheard of to get a call in February to come back as a part-time package (not baggage) handler.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If you haven't started orientation yet...you are not considered hired. They could still call you next week or not call you to start at all.

Thanks for the jokes everybody. Truly made my day. That being said let's get the root of all evil.

Should I tell I want package handler even though the recruiter placed me as driver helper in an effort to catch on after the holidays end?

You are a seasonal worker. Bust your butt and there is always the chance you will be called back after Peak.

But I have recently obtained FT elsewhere and that will cramp my availability to the driver helper. Should I ask for package handler in hopes being retained. I don't like the fact I was removed from my original application and moved elsewhere. Sounds like they have intended to make sure I'm cut after the holidays.

Don Spite

Thanks for the jokes everybody. Truly made my day. That being said let's get the root of all evil.

Should I tell I want package handler even though the recruiter placed me as driver helper in an effort to catch on after the holidays end?
Just let them know that you want to become a permanent hire. What you "want" is irrelevant.