Congestion In the Yard

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Integrity, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Integrity

Integrity Binge Poster

To My Fellow UPS Workers,

The purpose of this discussion thread is not to gripe or complain about conditions at UPS, management, the Union or for that matter anything at all about UPS. The sole purpose of this discussion thread is to discuss the following work-related issue with other employees as an initial step in engaging in some concerted activity to bring this issue up to the company as a group.

It is my hope that by addressing this issue in concert we not only be working for our own mutual aid, protection and improved working conditions, but we will be working for the benefit of any and all coworkers that may have been adversely affected by this issue.

The yard seems suddenly to be packed with feeders, tractors and package cars. It is way over capacity and creates some significant job hazards.

The travel paths have been compromised.

The Space and Visibility is compromised.

I am concerned about the increase in vehicle accidents and injury risks as a result.

2. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Congested lot means more packages. Which equals job security.
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. ChickenLegs

ChickenLegs Safety Expert

Please give more detail.
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  4. Returntosender

Returntosender Well-Known Member

You should contact this guy and him if you use his trucks to do a reenactment of the yard conditions you see.
  5. It's only going to get worse and its a great problem to have. I hope it gets a lot worse.
  6. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

I would advise a good decongestant.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  7. ChickenLegs

Under "Risk Management", there is a section titled "Yard Control". If you read that you'll find the rules and procedures that need to be followed to prevent hazards such as you described.
  8. Integrity

Integrity Binge Poster

The space to travel. Feeders are being parked in travel paths outside of designated parking areas. Visibility issues are obvious.

Have you any difference in your yards?

9. Integrity

Integrity Binge Poster

Yard Control safety procedures are excellent but if you review your MOP specific to you location then you will probably find that part of the MOP is for vehicles only to be parked in specified parking areas.

The effectiveness of yard safety control procedures will decrease in accordance with the misuse of the yard.

10. Future

Future Well-Known Member

Just drive through the yard at 2mph
  11. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 mouth breathers...everywhere

Aren't the DOK yard control procedures supposed to prevent yard accidents and injuries?
  12. Integrity

Integrity Binge Poster

How many more packages is one more yard fatatlity worth?

13. upschuck

upschuck Well-Known Member

We have actually built a new parking lot for the trailers, so the visibility has increased.
  14. Integrity

Integrity Binge Poster

That is awesome.

That is a real good solution even if more property has to be purchased locally even if it is a little off site.

15. tacken

tacken Active Member

Give me more packages more $$$$$$$$$$$$$
  16. upschuck

upschuck Well-Known Member

It is probably a hundred+ trailer lot. I think we had already owned the property, and had tried selling it, but no takers, so they built the lot.
  17. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Integrity here's something you need to keep in mind. Volume has skyrocketed the last few years. Many centers including mine are likely in the process of searching for land to build a larger center. However on a corporate these things take a lot of time.

As a pedestrian walking through the lot it's on you to pay attention and not get hit by a tractor.
  18. ChickenLegs

Not to me. That's why I asked for clarification. Who's visibility is obstructed? What's causing the obstruction?

In refrence to feeders parking in travel paths, you have not mentioned who's travel path? Pedestrians? Why are they parked in that location?
  19. Austin.Was.My.Hero

Austin.Was.My.Hero quod erat demonstrandum

Depends on the fatalities seniority.
  20. superballs63

superballs63 Well-Known Troll Troll