Congratulations to drivers "Up North"

wornoutupser

Hello all,

After the last few days in Central Fla and temps down into the 20's, I want to take my hat off to the drivers up north for doing the job that you do.

How do you handle the cold? We are not used to it down here. Neither are the trucks-but that is another story that the towing company loves.

Hey Stug- are you still wearing shorts? Wornout

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
I figured out a few years ago how to deal with the cold weather. Get in your tractor , stoke up the heat, and only leave the drivers seat the minimum amount of times to get the job done.:wink2: Its been working out great so far.

rod

Retired 22 years
Actually this works both ways. There were times during some of our rare hot and humid summer days that I would think to myself "how can the people in the south work in this heat". The secret to staying warm when its cold outside is to stay active. I came to understand why it appeared to me that the southern folk worked in slow motion:wink2:

moreluck

golden ticket member
"When its below zero you instantly know that your lungs are working."

AND your snot is as good as Super Glue in your nostrils.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
It's amazing how something that normally takes 38 minutes(to make up a set of doubles) is down to a brief 15 minutes. In 18 degree cold, I set a brisk pace thumping the tires.

705red

Browncafe Steward
You adapt to it, you plan on staying cold all day, most of us once we get to our routes do not even close our passenger doors this way you get used to being a little cold all day. And the real cold days,you layer. Under Armour is the best, many days I only wear a layer of their long underwer and the UPS shirt and pants. Wear a hat and keep your feet warm, but not to warm where they start to sweat.

Hello all,

After the last few days in Central Fla and temps down into the 20's, I want to take my hat off to the drivers up north for doing the job that you do.

How do you handle the cold? We are not used to it down here. Neither are the trucks-but that is another story that the towing company loves.

20? Pishaw. Give us a call when it`s -20 with a -40 windchill like we had last year. And yes we do have guys still wearing shorts.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was watching the Orange Bowl last night and it was a balmy 49 degrees in Florida. You would have thought it was near 0 the way some of the fans were dressed.

When I was military I worked on the flightline refueling airplanes. The planes would stop flying when it was -70 windchill or colder. One night it got down to -68 WC and we were out there pumping gas and getting the planes ready for takeoff. Layers. That's the key.

Big Babooba

I was watching the Orange Bowl last night and it was a balmy 49 degrees in Florida. You would have thought it was near 0 the way some of the fans were dressed.

When I was military I worked on the flightline refueling airplanes. The planes would stop flying when it was -70 windchill or colder. One night it got down to -68 WC and we were out there pumping gas and getting the planes ready for takeoff. Layers. That's the key.
I was driving down the Military Turnpike near Ellenburg one night. The temperature was unbelievably cold. I hit a bump in the road doing about 45 MPH. The driver's side window of the car shattered. It made for an awful drive to Malone.

Big Babooba

Hello all,

That's bikini weather up here.:happy-very:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was driving down the Military Turnpike near Ellenburg one night. The temperature was unbelievably cold. I hit a bump in the road doing about 45 MPH. The driver's side window of the car shattered. It made for an awful drive to Malone.

Yeah, you don't want to break down between Ellenburgh and Malone as there is absolutely nothing there; but, if you are looking for some good food, stop at Cherry Knoll Diner in Burke or Filion's Diner in Churubusco. They are both on Rt. 11.

705red

Browncafe Steward
We are right around 20 degrees here and are dropping down to the teens with over a foot of snow on its way starting tonight though Friday.

This is the worst! The Snow that gets driven on will compact to ice and will be like driving through slippery potholes.

ideliver2u67

20 Down
705 you are right the snow is the worst. I have always said, I dont care how cold it is, as long as there is no snow. People dont know how to drive in snow, but if the roads are clear and its 10 degrees no problems. Besides trudging through snow wears you to :censored2: out.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Hello all,

Yup, still wearing shorts, though I am also wearing a sweatshirt and UPS vest. My mechanic just put heat in my pkg car, which I haven't had in the 6 years I've been on this route. The only problem is where to get the cords of wood.:surprised:

It's been in the low 30's here in the morning, but warms up to the 50's during the day. It's unusual that it's lasting so long. We usually get a cold blast and 2 days later it's in the 70's. It's supposed to be in the upper 20's in the morning and more cold coming through on Saturday. I rode my bike on Monday and my toes were numb from the cold. I need warmer clothing. Last year I etched "it's cold outside" into the frost on my windshield. I'll take a picture if we get some again this year.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I admire those of you that have to drive in the ice and snow every year. I would hate to have to do that, and I would probably find another way to make a living. I guess if you grow up in it, you just get used to it. Its just the opposite of how it gets too hot and humid down here in the Summer. Usually we have about one or two ice events a year around here. I have only missed work once and that was about twenty years ago, I couldn't get out of my subdivision because the street iced up and the power went out for a few days.

We are supposed to get some snow tomorrow, I heard the airlines have already cancelled about a hundred flights out of the airport tomorrow. It will be fun getting home tomorrow night.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Biggest problem with ice/cold/snow is that there is absolutely no adjustment made to your dispatch. You are expected to maintain the same pace year round. Snow coming tomorrow and half the building worked until 8 tonight with relatively clean roads. 1-7 should be a beaut!

EmerCond421

Has been snowing off and on all day here. Expect an additional 6-10 inches depending on who you're listening to at the moment. But the cold will be here overnite and the next few days with lows -20 to -30F and highs of 0 to +10F. Dress in layers and fuel supplements for the package cars.