Conservative vs. Liberal Beliefs

Lue C Fur

Evil member
Education - school vouchers & charter schools

Liberal: Public schools are the best way to educate students. Vouchers take money away from public schools. Government should focus additional funds on existing public schools, raising teacher salaries and reducing class size.

Conservative: School vouchers create competiton and therefore encourage schools to improve performance. Vouchers will give all parents the right to choose good schools for their children, not just those who can afford private schools.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Liberal: Public schools are the best way to educate students. Vouchers take money away from public schools. Government should focus additional funds on existing public schools, raising teacher salaries and reducing class size.

Conservative: School vouchers create competiton and therefore encourage schools to improve performance. Vouchers will give all parents the right to choose good schools for their children, not just those who can afford private schools.

This concept only creates "white" schools and promotes separatism. Private schools can make decisions to deny entrance of children of color and a case of "white flight" will follow. I realize this is the Republican dream, but its unamerican nonetheless.

Peace.

wkmac

This concept only creates "white" schools and promotes separatism. Private schools can make decisions to deny entrance of children of color and a case of "white flight" will follow. I realize this is the Republican dream, but its unamerican nonetheless.

Peace.

If you actually studied the core of compulsory public education from the Prussian education model, a model birthed out of the late 19th century progressive/religious movement, the process of separation and segregation was at the heart of it and in fact still remains. It just hides behind another mask and the voucher system is in fact one of those masks. Education needs to be de-coupled from the state and corp. control entirely with a return focus back towards the humanities with an equal balance of science and math.

The Trivium Education method would be one form to consider. Under the current education model, I side with Roger Waters and that all children have great capacities to learn but are victimized by adults who like themselves have allowed a society of lifestyle to continue that we are nothing but another brick in the wall. "Well it was good enough for me and look how well I turned out!"

Command and Control!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Conserative.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Peace.

As a parent I would want the best education possible for my children.

Buddybrown

This concept only creates "white" schools and promotes separatism. Private schools can make decisions to deny entrance of children of color and a case of "white flight" will follow. I realize this is the Republican dream, but its unamerican nonetheless. Peace.
Unamerican would be not giving your kids the best opportunity for an education. What does "white" have to do with anything, it's opportunity that America offers for those who work hard, achieve and aspire to do something better for themselves and their children. What a bunch of unamerican liberal twisted garbage. What's unamerican is the people relying on the government to take care of them rather than getting off their asses.

bbsam

Staff member
So if every child was given a $12000 voucher, what would happen? Everyone would want their kids in the "best" schools. The "substandard" schools would close and the "best" schools would be over-crowded and dealing with the same problems multiplied. I confess that I do not understand the voucher concept and would welcome someone explaining just what I am missing.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The big difference is simple. Private schools could deny admission to anyone, mostly affecting black, hispanic and other minorities not "suited" for the schools bigger ideals which are removing poor students from the classroom and those just happen to be blacks and hispanics.

Just because a black kids parents can get the voucher, it doesnt mean the private school has to admit their child. Public schools dont discriminate (any longer since the civil rights act) and those behind the scenes of this program intend to separate white from all other kids.

When I see a NO DISCRIMINATION clause in charter schools and an "everyone" is invited to attend, I will become a believer.

But thats not whats intended.

Peace.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
In the future, schools will be a thing of the past as technology will create a new school, a home school, one where a child can stay at home and still hear and see his teacher on the computer screen. Video conferencing is a growing market, and someday, children will video conference classrooms from home.

Each class can be seen on the screen, homework assigned, questions asked and guess what??

MONEY SAVED.

Peace.

klein

Für Meno :)
In the future, schools will be a thing of the past as technology will create a new school, a home school, one where a child can stay at home and still hear and see his teacher on the computer screen. Video conferencing is a growing market, and someday, children will video conference classrooms from home.

Each class can be seen on the screen, homework assigned, questions asked and guess what??

MONEY SAVED.

Peace.

I don't know why they aren't doing that already, but the main reason is, parents want free baby sitting, too !
They already struggle when kids are off from school, how will they cope all year round ?

That's what gets me everytime when teachers go on strike.. parents complaining they have no place to put their kids or no baby sitter !
That's not what schooling was made for !

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Who had the power in 2009 to continue this program, but decided not to ?
Remember this was a federally funded program.

klein

Für Meno :)
And it was for low income mostly non-whites students.

Good ! Did you go to private school ? If not, why not ?
If I go to a private healthcare clinic I pay, too. Why would I expect a voucher ?
If I fly 1st class, I'll pay more, and don't expect a government voucher for that, either !

Btw, I could already hear you loudly screaming if it was the other way around, and Obama started the private school voucher for the poor !