Conservative vs. Liberal Beliefs

Babagounj

Strength through joy
You missed the point.
Every been to DC, outside of the Capital , it's mostly a run down minority area.
So they have a successful program to give their minority students a chance at a better education, but along comes a minority POTUS and the program dies. Started in 2004 , ended in 2009.

klein

Für Meno :)
Yet he left funding for a shrimp on a treadmill to exist?

Instead of writen here, maybe you should right your republican candidate in your area, saying they should promise poor (mostly black chilldren -"baba's words" ) go to private school with government grants, while the rest go to standard public school unless they have rich parents.

If that's what you truely want, then voice your opinion with your tea or republican party, not here on brown cafe - they won't read it.

In my opionen it was a rediculous government sponsorship, which was basically forcing private schools to become public ones, since the the differences between the 2 systems became less.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Now I find myself at a cross roads; Boston is a safer place than Vancouver. Yet as you, klein , have always stated that we have too many guns and violence is in our nature, would you care to explain what happen yesterday ?

klein

Now I find myself at a cross roads; Boston is a safer place than Vancouver. Yet as you, klein , have always stated that we have too many guns and violence is in our nature, would you care to explain what happen yesterday ?

Ok, first of all, according to all news channels. Those few rioters, (cowards), weren't even hockey fans. They simply came out to create a riot.
Secondly, no one got killed,and no guns were fired !
Thirdly, even whith smashed shop windows, no looting took place, as the decent crowd blocked those stores from anyone stealing from them.
And lastly, 18.000 Vancouverites came out this morning to help clean up their own city.
The city in return put up signs downtown thanking their citizens for their help with the clean-up and for the protection of storefronts.

Not to forget, they have arrested most of those rioters today, using the publics help that took pictures and videos, and helped indentifying them as on this website.
A facebook group has set up their own indentifying site, too.

It's not all bad, actually positive that such a huge community as Vancouver is with a 2.5 Million population, can come together like they have.
Many more cars and shop windows would have been broken/burnt if it wasn't for all those good samiritans guarding them.

I must admit Vancouver and Canada took a public beating with yesterday's rioting, but ofcourse all the good news that followed doesn't make worldwide headlines.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Funny , in all the video clips I saw most of the " cowards" were wearing hockey shirts.
True no guns, but what about the stabbings ?
Also the police were using their Olympic games procedures to guess at how to control the general public, comparing a winter event to a warm springtime event , a big failure.

klein

Haven't heard of any stabbings. Only 1 person in critical condition that tried to jump 1 wall to another and missed and fell several feet. (self conflicted).

As far as them wearing those Vancouver Jerseys, they say that was their camouflage, and they came prepaird with fire extinguishers, gas masks, steel bars, etc. About 25-30 of them, they figure.
And yes, the scene did make some others join, that normally wouldn't have.
It's ok, over and done with now and it will not stop Vancouver from holding street parties in the future.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
"As far as them wearing those Vancouver Jerseys, they say that was their camouflage, and they came prepaird with fire extinguishers, gas masks, steel bars, etc. About 25-30 of them, they figure."

I can't ever recall anyone starting a riot with fire bombs , who would also carry a fire extinguisher ? Is that a Canadian thing ?
If 25-30 can cause that much damage, WOW.

Lue C Fur

Evil member
Embryonic Stem Cell Research

Liberal:
Supports the use of embryonic stem cells for research.
It is necessary (and ethical) for the government to fund embryonic stem cell research, which will assist scientists in finding treatments and cures for diseases.
An embryo is not a human. The tiny blastocyst (embryos used in embryonic stem cell research) has no human features. Experimenting on embryos/embryonic stem cells is not murder.
Embryonic stem cells have the potential to cure chronic and degenerative diseases which current medicine has been unable to effectively treat.
Embryonic stem cells have been shown to be effective in treating heart damage in mice.

Conservative:
Supports the use of adult and umbilical cord stem cells only for research.
It is morally and ethically wrong for the government to fund embryonic stem cell research.
Human life begins at conception. The extraction of stem cells from an embryo requires its destruction. In other words, it requires that a human life be killed.
Adult stem cells have already been used to treat spinal cord injuries, Leukemia, and even Parkinson's disease. Adult stem cells are derived from umbilical cords, placentas, amniotic fluid, various tissues and organ systems like skin and the liver, and even fat obtained from liposuction.
Embryonic stem cells have not been successfully used to help cure disease.

klein

Some staunch pro-lifers and most pro-life organizations regard the destruction of the blastocyst, which is a laboratory-fertilized human egg, to be the murder of human life. They believe that life begins at conception, and that destruction of this pre-born life is morally unacceptable.

Now that President Obama has lifted the federal funding ban for embryonic stem cell research, financial support will soon flow to federal and state agencies to commence the necessary scientific research. The timeline for therapeutic solutions available to all Americans could be years away.

(just had to add that Lucy).

And if you're so concerned about a fertilized egg being human life, you should donate much more to the starving and dying children in Africa and elsewhere in the world !

moreluck

golden ticket member
We need to be done donating. Nobody donates to us when disaster strikes. Charity begins at home. Let those Hollywood types who want to care for the world donate all their money......they're all talk......let them do the walk!!

moreluck

golden ticket member
In grade school, we collected our coins for Biafra. Biafra is now part of Nigeria. Some terrorists come from there. So, I gave my pennies so Biafran children could eat & grow up to come bomb my country........full circle!!

Lue C Fur

Evil member
And if you're so concerned about a fertilized egg being human life, you should donate much more to the starving and dying children in Africa and elsewhere in the world !

Americans donate the most and Conservatives donate more than Liberals. What do Canadians donate...snow and maple syrup?

klein

Foreign Aid as percentage of GDP

201008INC029.gif

moreluck

golden ticket member
Yours is from '04. Mine is '07

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-06-25-charitable_N.htm

from Wiki answers '06
The United States donates the most to charity. In 2006 Americans donated $34.8 billion dollars. The second highest country was Britain with $1.6 billion donated.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Which_country_donates_most_to_charity#ixzz1PYzirzmK

from '09
What country donates the most money in the world?
"Usa more than doubles the country who donates the second most..."

usa more than doubles the country who donates the second most... usa by far donates the most...

klein

Yes, that is true, in dollar amounts, since you have the largest population.
If you go by percent of GDP or by capita, the US does not come close to donating the most.
here, from 2005, (as you can see in billions, the US is on top, GB second).

20110409_INC510.gif

Anyways, you are forking out less foreign aid as a tax payer belonging to the US, then those of GB, Sweden, and even Canada.
For example, if everyone in a small town of 1000 people donated $1000 each = $1 Mill.
Now if the same charity event took place in a big city with 1.2 Million people and each donated $1 dollar, (= 1.2 Mill), you cannot say that the average townsfolk donated less !