Considering going to package car driving

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
The money is real good. The rest of it sux. All you do during the week is work, you don't have time to do anything else. Don't have any kids with this job because youll miss out on them growing up and never being able to catch any of their functions. That's the reality of it. That's why me and my wife decided to not have any kids. Wouldn't be fair to her and to the kids to put everything on her. That's just my opinion anyway. Then you have to put in the factor of the wear and tear you are putting on your joints everyday. Its a lot to think about. If I were you id go driving not have any kids and stuff the 401k or Ira with the max amount every week and roll out of here in 15 to 20 years and work somewhere else until you can collect your pension at 55.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If I were you id go driving not have any kids and stuff the 401k or Ira with the max amount every week and roll out of here in 15 to 20 years and work somewhere else until you can collect your pension at 55.

This may vary but in my local if you do not have your 30 years in you cannot start collecting your pension until you turn 65.

Kevin222

The money is real good. The rest of it sux. All you do during the week is work, you don't have time to do anything else. Don't have any kids with this job because youll miss out on them growing up and never being able to catch any of their functions. That's the reality of it. That's why me and my wife decided to not have any kids. Wouldn't be fair to her and to the kids to put everything on her. That's just my opinion anyway. Then you have to put in the factor of the wear and tear you are putting on your joints everyday. Its a lot to think about. If I were you id go driving not have any kids and stuff the 401k or Ira with the max amount every week and roll out of here in 15 to 20 years and work somewhere else until you can collect your pension at 55.
Well now you tell me! lol. I worked part time and quit. the company that I went to work for was bought out and I didnt make the cut. I am back and hve some serious decisions to make. In my early 30's, physically fit and married with children. I just need to work for a company that will be around and thta is why I came back. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Notretiredyet

The Golden Handcuffs, someone told me that years ago. It affects you till the day you cut the cord and retire, keeps many here longer than they need too.

Kevin222

Good point. My wife is sitting here next to me. Thanks guys, I am logging off. guess I will be spending the rest of my weekend talking to my wife about this. i had no idea. thanks alot

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Its a great company to work for that's for sure. Pension, stability, great pay, good benefits but the big negatives are a boatload of hours, never have any time at home and the physical wear and tear on your body. That's about it in a nutshell. The most important thing brother is to have a long talk with your wife about the best decision for you and your family. Remember when your married with kids its more than 1 player on your team and you have to do whats best for the team in every sense of the word. Don't be selfish or unsensitive when your making your decision because it could be the best decision you ever made or the worst decision you ever made. That's the truth and the reality of it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Depends on the route. $80 to $90 is more like it. To make that kind of money you will be at work at least 12 hrs a day. And put up with a lot of B.S. Delivering to customers can and for the most part be fun. It's always nice to give someone something. It usually puts a smile on their face. Just remember that with the new UPS management, you will never be good enough or fast enough
Actually by the time the OP hits scale. 10 hours a day would put u at over 100k

Kevin222

Jumpman, my wife is crosseyed. lol. not at your post, just that it seems its like at the same time this position is like bitter sweet, hot and cold, good and bad, rewarding and exhausting, great benefits with pay and not enough time to enjoy it...wow dichotomy? Again, thank you. I like the fact that union ppl help each other out!

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Im just giving ya the good and the bad bro. I just want you to do the best thing for you and your family. If you love your wife and kids you will do whats best for them. Sounds like your a good family man who cares about the best interest of your family. Good for you dude. :wink2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Jumpman, my wife is crosseyed. lol. not at your post, just that it seems its like at the same time this position is like bitter sweet, hot and cold, good and bad, rewarding and exhausting, great benefits with pay and not enough time to enjoy it...wow dichotomy? Again, thank you. I like the fact that union ppl help each other out!

Take everything you read here with a huge grain of salt.

The job is physically demanding with zero mental challenge. We are very well (some may say over) compensated for what we do. You will need a good support network at home, especially if the two of you decide to have children, as there will be late nights, especially during Peak.

9.5er

Not all centers are the same. I'm in a smaller center. We send out about 40 routes a day. I am usually off work between 6 and 7. Depends on the route I am on for the day. There have been days I worked til 9 or later and the rare occurrence I get off at 5.

JL 0513

Most of the year, the hours aren't excessive by any means. Depends on the center but a typical day is 9 1/2 hours (not counting lunch hour). I believe the national average for PC drivers per week is 46-48 hours (off peak). Lot's of people outside of UPS work that much and more. Retail managers, for example, often work 55 hours a week on a salary (no OT). Many people have to work 2 jobs to get by - that can easily be 55+ hrs a week (I've always done it).

The pay is no secret. Top rate (achieved after 3-4 years) is nearly $33/hr. So OT is about $50/hr. You can do your own math with that info. The new contract will bring it to over $36/hr less than 5 years from now. At that point $100K+ will be common.

But a big components to our compensation we're not even talking about is very good health coverage with zero contribution out of our checks. That's very rare today. The other biggie, is a pension (that will hopefully be paid someday to us younger drivers).

You add full family health coverage and pension contributions and we are compensated in the neighborhood of $120-140K a year.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Even with a 9.5 hours of work, you ad up your time to work, hours worked, lunch, and commute home, your still looking at getting home between 7(that being early) and 10 every night. Like I said goodbye to seeing your family or having time to spend with your kids when they need you the most.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Kevin, the job, like any other, is what you make of it. I have 25 years in and have yet to break $75K--last year I made $68K and, yes, I am FT pkg car.

This!!!

Same story here except I've only got 20 years in, 18 of them driving package car.
Base annual pay is about $65k but with overtime can venture up toward that 6 figure range. I don't want or need to make that much. I barely cracked $80k this year.

Like Dave said, the job is only as hard as you make it. Other drivers think I'm crazy when I say there is little to know stress in this job. It's not that hard. Deliver packages, pickup packages, go home. It's really not that hard. The only "hard" part about it is dealing with management at times. As well as their sometimes lofty expectations.

Good luck in your decision making.

JL 0513

It's only mentally challenging covering routes you don't know. When you get a steady or permanent bid route, it's just a a matter of going through the motions every day. Barely have to think. Cover drivers have all the stress. Always in the map book, stressing out looking for addresses and businesses in a rush.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Become a plumber or electrician. Then you can make more than we do and have a lot more time to work out.