Considering not being a package delivery driver

El Correcto

god is dead
Yeah I read through some of the threads. One of them said some dude left his car in the back of the hub with a note on it saying he quit. :ohmy:
we had two seasonal drivers leave their pc out on area. I'm sure their note said y'all are :censored2:ing crazy. Just finish school and try to make your 30 it gets better in some aspect worse in others.

GenericUsername

Driving school was really stressful for me as I had a newborn in the house. I had to come into the center while Preload was going on to study so I'd at least get some peace of mind. Honestly, that has been the hardest thing for me with this job... the class itself. I got through it just fine, but the stress that it had was pretty intense. After that and you get to drive, it's all easy. No matter what job you go to, you'll always have someone giving you orders and being on your case about something. I got out of the grocery industry after 12 years and couldn't be happier. I hated retail. I was jaded and hate myself for having stayed in so long. The routes that I get put on when I get to drive can be pretty rough, especially if I've never done the route, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. Something about challenging myself to clear the car just brings me peace. Typically I can get through 60 or so stops by 1:00 in the afternoon (starting at 9:00), which I wouldn't say is amazing but I wouldn't think is terrible either. I challenge myself every single day to improve on it and learn the area. I drive a huge area on Saturday and am typically one of the first few back in the building with the most stops going out. For Preload, I load the typical 4 cars with ~1100 pieces as of late. Heaviest in the building or second heaviest, but nearly always one of the first ones done.

You just need to hold your head up high, get through it, make your 30 days and enjoy life while doing it. Don't stress about work outside of work and don't stress about life while at work. Eventually it all comes together and you'll realize it the day that it happens. Stop worrying about the what-ifs of the job and make the most of the parts that you do like about it.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
image.jpeg
I've been attending class most of this week and it has just been insane. I have been doing quite well being pretty much at the top of the class but everyday is like a torture session. Knowing the ten point commentary, the eight keys to lifting and lowering, the five keys to preventing slips and falls and the backing rules is not enough. We have to be able to rattle off any part of any one of them exactly word for word and if not we get grilled to the nth degree. Some guys in class get so nervous they turn red and start sweating. Then management starting talking about "stealing his time" if we can't run scratch and getting written up for a tier one after someone whacks the truck because it could of been avoided by parking in a different area while making a delivery.

Faceplanted

I remember when most drivers were in and off by 630

I remember when we didn't get harassed every day

I remember the good days, now and days this job is crap and not worth the bs to make 90k.

Also realize that 90k carrot will be dangled in front of u for at least 4 years, probably 7 or so

JL 0513

Look at your alternatives. Look at what else you need to do to make $90K a year not counting our benefits.

Thus is one week of school and questions vs. 4+ years of intense college courses and testing to earn at least a bachelor's degree which in most cases still won't get you a $90K job.

Since you say you are a built to do physical work you'll likely have to accept much less money in life if this isn't for you.

By The Book

Driving school was really stressful for me as I had a newborn in the house. I had to come into the center while Preload was going on to study so I'd at least get some peace of mind. Honestly, that has been the hardest thing for me with this job... the class itself. I got through it just fine, but the stress that it had was pretty intense. After that and you get to drive, it's all easy. No matter what job you go to, you'll always have someone giving you orders and being on your case about something. I got out of the grocery industry after 12 years and couldn't be happier. I hated retail. I was jaded and hate myself for having stayed in so long. The routes that I get put on when I get to drive can be pretty rough, especially if I've never done the route, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. Something about challenging myself to clear the car just brings me peace. Typically I can get through 60 or so stops by 1:00 in the afternoon (starting at 9:00), which I wouldn't say is amazing but I wouldn't think is terrible either. I challenge myself every single day to improve on it and learn the area. I drive a huge area on Saturday and am typically one of the first few back in the building with the most stops going out. For Preload, I load the typical 4 cars with ~1100 pieces as of late. Heaviest in the building or second heaviest, but nearly always one of the first ones done.

You just need to hold your head up high, get through it, make your 30 days and enjoy life while doing it. Don't stress about work outside of work and don't stress about life while at work. Eventually it all comes together and you'll realize it the day that it happens. Stop worrying about the what-ifs of the job and make the most of the parts that you do like about it.
Some nice pointers....but kinda turned into your own production show if you know what I mean.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I've been attending class most of this week and it has just been insane. I have been doing quite well being pretty much at the top of the class but everyday is like a torture session. Knowing the ten point commentary, the eight keys to lifting and lowering, the five keys to preventing slips and falls and the backing rules is not enough. We have to be able to rattle off any part of any one of them exactly word for word and if not we get grilled to the nth degree. Some guys in class get so nervous they turn red and start sweating. Then management starting talking about "stealing his time" if we can't run scratch and getting written up for a tier one after someone whacks the truck because it could of been avoided by parking in a different area while making a delivery.
that is because package drivers are paid 60-100k a year. most of the drivers at my old hub make 100 grand or more a year. plus 30-40k in bennies. so if you want to be the best then suck it up and do the freakin job.

it's like anything in life worth doing. at first it will be difficult but after some time you'll be wondering what the heck you were stressing about because it WILL get easier over time.

good luck.

Dillinger4

that is because package drivers are paid 60-100k a year. most of the drivers at my old hub make 100 grand or more a year. plus 30-40k in bennies. so if you want to be the best then suck it up and do the freakin job.
Yeah um I'll pass on constantly worrying everyday if management is going to suspend me for some idiot backing up into my truck because corporate deemed the accident avoidable or trying to slap a tier three on my record and :censored2:can me for smacking my side mirror.

GenericUsername

Yeah um I'll pass on constantly worrying everyday if management is going to suspend me for some idiot backing up into my truck because corporate deemed the accident avoidable or trying to slap a tier three on my record and :censored2:can me for smacking my side mirror.

Nothing to worry about if you make sure you park all the way over to the side and pull in your mirror. Use your e-brake and flashers and call it a day. If they hit you and you parked in the best available place and did everything that they trained you on, there's nothing more you can do. So no need to worry.