consolidation/EBO...so what happens now...

sosocal

I'm finding the earlier threads on these topics deteriorating...So Its happenned...We no longer call it rumors...what do you expect to happen as it unfolds. The outline and dates are general.....Everyone still has no idea what to expect...What do you think we should expect?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I'll go out everyday with too many parcels and too many stops. In other words, nothing will change.:happy2: Seriously, I work in an extended center and have no idea who any of the district or division or hr people are. For us frontline grunts, I don't see any changes except for more tightening of the screws.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm finding the earlier threads on these topics deteriorating...So Its happenned...We no longer call it rumors...what do you expect to happen as it unfolds. The outline and dates are general.....Everyone still has no idea what to expect...What do you think we should expect?

What Obama promised ... CHANGE

island1fox

socal,
Regions have been reduced drastically--Districts are being reduced drastically---Cost per piece continues to rise---Revenue per piece is not growing --customers looking for more discounts -cheaper delivery.
Ups with high union paid employees cannot continue as the ups we all know.
High pay,health benefits,Pensions, Compensation,gas etc --will continue to rise.
Ups cannot afford to pay in the area of fifty bucks an hour to deliver discounted volume.
Solution --1. Reduce management
NEXT: Keep and maintain only high revenue per pc volume- low discounted volume --this will cause huge declines in volume ---through the contract ---massive layoffs -less feeders,drivers, trucks, bldgs, etc.
Will have a much smaller company with high revenue volume and hopefully a much wiser union workforce. Sorry for the bad news --but the plan is very clear !!!! As you can see steps two -three -four are just a matter of time ---many UPSers still do not get it !!! This is just the start of MAJOR changes !!!!:sad-little:

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
socal,
Regions have been reduced drastically--Districts are being reduced drastically---Cost per piece continues to rise---Revenue per piece is not growing --customers looking for more discounts -cheaper delivery.
High pay,health benefits,Pensions, Compensation,gas etc --will continue to rise.
Ups cannot afford to pay in the area of fifty bucks an hour to deliver discounted volume.
NEXT: Keep and maintain only high revenue per pc volume- low discounted volume --this will cause huge declines in volume ---through the contract ---massive layoffs -less feeders,drivers, trucks, bldgs, etc.
Will have a much smaller company with high revenue volume and hopefully a much wiser union workforce. Sorry for the bad news --but the plan is very clear !!!! As you can see steps two -three -four are just a matter of time ---many UPSers still do not get it !!! This is just the start of MAJOR changes !!!!:sad-little:

And Step 5 - negotiate a two-tiered pay structure with new union employees maxing out at 2/3 of today's wages.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Does the company plan on asking the Union for concessions or has that already been tried and turned down?

When I got hired as a part-timer 23 years ago, the starting wage was $9.50 per hour with benefits after 30 days of seniority. The minimum wage at that time was $3.25 per hour, so a new hire made 3x the minimum the day he started.

Today, the starting wage has decreased to $8.50 per hour, with benefits unavailable for an entire year. The minimum wage here is now $8.25.

2/3 of UPS's workforce is part time, and even the ones with several years of service arent making 3 times the minimum. And they never will.

Adjusted for inflation, the wages and benefits of the majority of UPS's workforce are at an all time low.

Concessions? We have been making them for the last 20 years.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
When I got hired as a part-timer 23 years ago, the starting wage was $9.50 per hour with benefits after 30 days of seniority. The minimum wage at that time was $3.25 per hour, so a new hire made 3x the minimum the day he started.

Today, the starting wage has decreased to $8.50 per hour, with benefits unavailable for an entire year. The minimum wage here is now $8.25.

2/3 of UPS's workforce is part time, and even the ones with several years of service arent making 3 times the minimum. And they never will.

Adjusted for inflation, the wages and benefits of the majority of UPS's workforce are at an all time low.

Concessions? We have been making them for the last 20 years.
So what you are saying is that the concessions have been by the part-timers for the benefit of the full-timers?

That is a recurring theme and sounds about right.

soberups

So what you are saying is that the concessions have been by the part-timers for the benefit of the full-timers?

That is a recurring theme and sounds about right.

Thats why I have voted "no" on every offer since 1993.

We have been screwing the part timers for way too long.

Dustyroads

I know it's exciting to cry fire in a crowded theater, but I really don't think any plan by the board of directors involves a drastic reduction in volume or cutting our workforce of drivers by substantial numbers. I would much more likely believe that the strategy involves increases in volume, coupled with strategies to reduce cost to customers and to reduce our cost per piece to deliver. Reducing the number of gross packages delivered every day, as one poster suggested, results in just the opposite outcome, that is, an increased cost per piece.

There are ways to decrease cost per piece while increasing volume. This move to trim 1800 jobs was one way to move toward that end. There are others.

Last edited:

EmerCond421

I know it's exciting to cry fire in a crowded theater, but I really don't think any plan by the board of directors involves a drastic reduction in volume or cutting our workforce of drivers by substantial numbers. I would much more likely believe that the strategy involves increases in volume, coupled with strategies to reduce cost to customers and to reduce our cost per piece to deliver. Reducing the number of gross packages delivered every day, as one poster suggested, results in just the opposite outcome, that is, an increased cost per piece.

There are ways to decrease cost per piece while increasing volume. This move to trim 1800 jobs was one way to move toward that end. There are others.

Maybe bring back R.D.I.? Hate to give up the windshield time but it would reduce hours.

Last edited:

Dustyroads

EmerCond, perhaps a program like that would work well. If the company gave rural drivers an incentive to indirect residential packages to businesses, it could save thousands and thousands of miles every day in the US. There is, in fact, a disincentive to indirect rural packages, it reduces miles, reduces time on the clock, reduces bonus.

In the old days, when we had to get signatures for every package, rural drives had these "card files" with note cards saying where packages could be indirected, and signature cards for those that could not. Once we started driver releasing packages, there was very little incentive to leave a rural route package in town where the guy works.

If, for example, the company gave a special allowance for every residential package that is indirected to a commercial address, we would see a lot more of that. Since UPS collects a $2.05 surcharge for residential packages, even if they are indirected, if they shared some of that money with drivers, they would reduce miles, planned day, and bonus payments.

randomUPSISer

Thats why I have voted "no" on every offer since 1993.

We have been screwing the part timers for way too long.

I've no bird in the fight, but... you are right. I also bet UPS knows this and has let you guys do it by design. The part timers are HUGE in number, and likely can swing a contract vote. Just wait until UPS turns them on you guys. :sad-very:

soberups

Maybe bring back R.D.I.? Hate to give up the windshield time but it would reduce hours.

RDI (Remote Delivery Initiative) failed because it was inherently dishonest, and management wound up using it as a crutch to hide service failures. Each center was given a quota of stops to bring back, and there was no rational or consistent definition of what even constituted a "remote" delivery.

The way to make it work today would be to have a "third-class deferrable" service level, offered at a discount with no time in transit gurantee. These packages could be held for an additional 2 or 3 days until sufficent stop density existed to make them more efficient to deliver. Unlike RDI, this system would be honest; the shipper would actually be getting what they paid for instead of getting screwed over.

We could gain a lot of volume this way, and if managed correctly via Telematics and PAS/EDD it could make greater stop density possible.

Re-Raise

If, for example, the company gave a special allowance for every residential package that is indirected to a commercial address, we would see a lot more of that. Since UPS collects a $2.05 surcharge for residential packages, even if they are indirected, if they shared some of that money with drivers, they would reduce miles, planned day, and bonus payments.

Interesting idea. I remember when we were paid extra for turning in address corrections for a while.

It could work if there was a way for the customer to agree to the indirects. I would hate to have customers feel that we were short changing them on service or inconveniencing them at work.

lastoasis

socal,

same old company line........"be scared"