Contract Approval Vote

over9five

Staff member
This shouldn't even be up for a vote, they're not done yet!!! They still have over three months. GET BACK TO WORK.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This shouldn't even be up for a vote, they're not done yet!!! They still have over three months. GET BACK TO WORK.

I don't have a great understanding of how this all works but lets say a decent number of locals reject the deal. Would the union then say we aren't even putting this to a vote?

Inthegame

Thats the same way I look at both, I don't trust either one. The company lies to us to make as much money off us as they can, just like the Teamsters do. Its always about the money, neither one of them give a crap about any of us.
You just slapped the faces of thousands of dedicated stewards, including me. I've got a BA who's been at negotiations since last Oct, living out of a suitcase away from his family. Do you really think that's fun? Did you ever sit in on any negotiations at any level? I'd rather have an ice pick in my ear.

You can dislike this offer all you want but not recognizing the efforts of your Teamster bargaining committee is foolish. From what UPS came to the table with (more concessions than ever before in Teamster/UPS negotiating history) to what hall has T/A'ed is astounding and will pass hands down.

Inthegame

I don't have a great understanding of how this all works but lets say a decent number of locals reject the deal. Would the union then say we aren't even putting this to a vote?
How do locals "reject" the deal without voting? The "offer" has been unanimously approved by the National Committee, on which sits a major player from L688, so a decent number of locals have already approved it for a membership vote.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You just slapped the faces of thousands of dedicated stewards, including me. I've got a BA who's been at negotiations since last Oct, living out of a suitcase away from his family. Do you really think that's fun? Did you ever sit in on any negotiations at any level? I'd rather have an ice pick in my ear.

You can dislike this offer all you want but not recognizing the efforts of your Teamster bargaining committee is foolish. From what UPS came to the table with (more concessions than ever before in Teamster/UPS negotiating history) to what hall has T/A'ed is astounding and will pass hands down.

Interesting perspective.

You sound like UPS management ... just saying.

I guess being in Teamster management is a lot like being in UPS management.

No one appreciates the effort of management.

Fullhouse

Well, I just recieved a notice in the mail frommy Union hall. As I read the information it looks like the IBT just got 44,000 votes infavor of ratification.
1.The notice implied that all teamsters that were to receive $3000 for 30 and out will be increased to $3200 a month and will end up being $3400 in the 5th year of the contract. Yearly pension multiplyer increased to $175
2. Long term disability pay outs will be increased to $700 a month then to $800 by 2017.
3. Reduction in required hours needed to earn pension credit for Air employees only (375 hours for full credit)
4. Starting wage increase to $10 for unskilled $11 for skilled.
5. Improvements to 9.5 language (no specifics yet)
6. New Language to pertaing to filling more full time vacancies.
7. Additional protections to restrict discipline based solely on electronic information. (That should be interesting)
8. 2300 new full time jobs (again no specifics)
9. 5 year contract
The best for last
10. No insurance payment by employees
Guys I have to tell ya, this is a positive for Full time Teamsters that were in the in the Central States pension fund. (Now under the UPS Retirement Fund). It does a lot to close the retirement gap between drivers through out the country who perform the same work and share the never ending on slaught of production harrasment by management.
The only negative hear is this. All drivers who can hold on for another 5 years till retiremnet will do so, and the part time ranks will just have to wait a little longer to go full time!

Nobody's even saying strike. Why'd they give up negotiating so soon??? It's only APRIL!!!!

Go back to the table.
Amazon wast pulling 100% of their volume may 1st. This would have been a news story. Right?? Think about it. It would have been a free for all. The volume would have dried up. I don't think you understand the ramifications. It was a Cuban missle crisis all over again. Ups makes 10billion a year at the end of this contract and we get another favorable contract for OUR way of life.

Brownslave688

How do locals "reject" the deal without voting? The "offer" has been unanimously approved by the National Committee, on which sits a major player from L688, so a decent number of locals have already approved it for a membership vote.

I really don't know. I just know the other side said they have a meeting tomorrow and will let them know the western conference is a no on this and someone mentioned that the Philly area local has talk of not accepting the offer.

I really have no idea just repeating what others had said.

407 could be right but I don't see any way the company pushes us to strike.

If we vote this down I'd guess we would have a solid contract within 2 weeks.
This company has wanted to go commercial to commercial to a while now. They know where the money is. A strike is the worst case senerio and it would set up a new beginning for ups as a commercial to commercial shipper. This is not crazy. It's called cutting your losses. Kenny Rodgers style. Know when to fold them and know when to run. Know when to walk AWAY. This (away) would happen. They are a LOGISTICS company now. They would just go there. Everything in the last 16 years points to this.

Brownslave688

Nobody's even saying strike. Why'd they give up negotiating so soon??? It's only APRIL!!!!

Go back to the table.
Amazon wast pulling 100% of their volume may 1st. This would have been a news story. Right?? Think about it. It would have been a free for all. The volume would have dried up. I don't think you understand the ramifications. It was a Cuban missle crisis all over again. Ups makes 10billion a year at the end of this contract and we get another favorable contract for OUR way of life.

So they increase profits 150% and we get a 2% raise?

Inthegame

Well, I just recieved a notice in the mail frommy Union hall. As I read the information it looks like the IBT just got 44,000 votes infavor of ratification.
1.The notice implied that all teamsters that were to receive $3000 for 30 and out will be increased to $3200 a month and will end up being $3400 in the 5th year of the contract. Yearly pension multiplyer increased to $175
2. Long term disability pay outs will be increased to $700 a month then to $800 by 2017.
3. Reduction in required hours needed to earn pension credit for Air employees only (375 hours for full credit)
4. Starting wage increase to $10 for unskilled $11 for skilled.
5. Improvements to 9.5 language (no specifics yet)
6. New Language to pertaing to filling more full time vacancies.
7. Additional protections to restrict discipline based solely on electronic information. (That should be interesting)
8. 2300 new full time jobs (again no specifics)
9. 5 year contract
The best for last
10. No insurance payment by employees
Guys I have to tell ya, this is a positive for Full time Teamsters that were in the in the Central States pension fund. (Now under the UPS Retirement Fund). It does a lot to close the retirement gap between drivers through out the country who perform the same work and share the never ending on slaught of production harrasment by management.
The only negative hear is this. All drivers who can hold on for another 5 years till retiremnet will do so, and the part time ranks will just have to wait a little longer to go full time!
Since that cat is out...
#5. New 9.5 language protects employees from the 12-13 hour days on the other two days a week

#7 Just what you wrote, additional restrictions should relieve the abuse

#8 (lost) 22.3 jobs are to return(not sure about how this works), new 22.3 TBD

Unfortunately progression goes to 48 months from 36. Not good but the start rate raises which should offset the additional "loss" of 12 more months.

So they increase profits 150% and we get a 2% raise?
We make 33buck an hour bro. Put this in the news young buck. Your chances suck. We have the Democrat in the White House like 97 but this is a totally DIFFERENT country now. Remember YOU are a republican and the JUST DONT LIKE LABOR. Rack up your401k now young buck.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
You just slapped the faces of thousands of dedicated stewards, including me. I've got a BA who's been at negotiations since last Oct, living out of a suitcase away from his family. Do you really think that's fun?

I have nothing but respect for my job stewards and Local 728 staff, I was referring to UPS and IBT leadership at the national level. I have probably been "In the game" a lot longer than you, having been through contracts since I started in 1975. I have not decided how I will vote without seeing all the details, and I do like a lot of what I hear about it so far. My perspective is that I am going to retire in a year or so, I am interested in the pension and health cost for retirees. I really don't care about the raises, the part timers need a better deal and the company needs to remain profitable.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
friend* en Republicans

There's a top-viewed article on FOX News this week that Republicans are furious with the Obama Administration's friendliness with labor unions.

Then we have idiots who whine and cry about how underpaid they are earning ~$33/hour + full, no-cost benefits at UPS and then blame it on the Democrats in the next sentence.

Inthegame

I really don't know. I just know the other side said they have a meeting tomorrow and will let them know the western conference is a no on this and someone mentioned that the Philly area local has talk of not accepting the offer.

I really have no idea just repeating what others had said.

Some supplements are still open. All agreements get voted on at the same time, so you'll get the National, the Central Supplement, and your L688 rider if it had opened (which it didn't). Before the votes all Supplements need to be completed. Talks will continue this week, but no more National talks.

I have nothing but respect for my job stewards and Local 728 staff, I was referring to UPS and IBT leadership at the national level. I have probably been "In the game" a lot longer than you, having been through contracts since I started in 1975. I have not decided how I will vote without seeing all the details, and I do like a lot of what I hear about it so far. My perspective is that I am going to retire in a year or so, I am interested in the pension and health cost for retirees. I really don't care about the raises, the part timers need a better deal and the company needs to remain profitable.
I know you don't but steward are hated on both sides. I'm a little connected and I do know what I'm talking about. Some of my members don't listen as members of this site dont also, but I grasp it. Don't listen and continue to fuel the doom and gloom of us all. Got no and you can help in our dooms.

Scratch I used your post but it wasnt directed at you. I have NOTHING but respect for you my Christian brother from another mother.

Inthegame

I'm pleased you understand the value of your Local. Randy is a great PO and a class act. You and I have been through an equal number of contracts. The IBT need funds to operate. Negotiating agreements to get $32 hour jobs with great bennys takes money and skill. Dues are insignificant compared to the earnings those dues produce for the members.
Retiree healthcare will cost more but much, much less than UPS wanted (as per their letter) because of the insistence of hall who has steadfastly stood by retirees. A little known FACT might interest you, hall was approached by UPS in 2008 demanding increases from the $50 rate. Hall said pound sand, but he knew increases were imminent. He has kept that rate in tact for 5 years longer than anyone else could have but gets no credit and tells few people of the pressure UPS has put on this. How much support would Hall get from actives if he traded raises for retiree rates...maybe a few in our position but the numbers aren't there.
Remember retirees have substantial utilization (costs) that UPS doesn't want to continue to absorb. Have no illusion, the day you retire will be the day UPS forgets you. hall won't. So when I read posts that the IBT doesn't care, it's a bit off.