Contract deal soon?

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
this is the exact reason I have a 401k. If the bottom falls out of this company(unlikely), I will have some retirement in a 401k. If I get something of a pension, then its just extra bonus money. Is there anyone on here that has a 401k?????

I haven't started my 401K yet (strange considering how vocal I am about it). But I'd have to agree, Coldworld--a pension should simply be considered "bonus" money. I'm not going to plan on anything other than my own savings and investments for retirement. -Rocky

mittam

I also have been told that if it is not done in the next few weeks they will break off till next year. I wonder if that is the union drawing a line or if it is a smoke screen to seem tuff. I have been a teamster for like 15 years and we have to have them around with the way we get treated. But it sure seems like we are bluffing a lot lately.

Bluffing is all they have

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
From what we were told by one of the negotiators, especially with the CS buyout offer now on the table, the contract is far from being done. The company will try to get the employees worked up about the Pension offer, and force the union to actually offer it to its members. I think it is far from being done, a lot of details need to be worked out.

Fullhouse

The teamsters did not ruin it central states did. The dot com crash, Enron debacle, as well as others like Tyco, Global Crossing, 9/11, are other huge factors. Greedy NON-PROFIT hospitals are not helping either with all their increased fees. Then again they allowed CS to hire BCBS who may be cheaper but my health care sufferd for it. If you hired someone to do your personal investing and they kept screwing it up wouldn't you fire them and move on. I am a Teamster but CS sucks!
I wonder what kind of salaries all the top dogs at CS make.

Don't forget about the 77 Million that they invested into a bank in Russia. Guess what the bank went south and CS lost all the money.:confused:1

J

JonFrum

For The Record . . .

Don't forget about the 77 Million that they invested into a bank in Russia. Guess what the bank went south and CS lost all the money.:confused:1

From page 11, TEAMWORK magazine, Winter 2005
Available here . . .
http://www.centralstatesfunds.org/cs/plans/teamwork.asp
"An article published in the New
York Times on November 15, 2004
contains inaccurate and biased
information. . . .
. . . Another particularly misleading
statement presented as fact by the
article comes from a driver in North
Carolina known for his politically
charged views. This driver claims
he researched the Pension Fund’s
annual report and discovered the
Pension Fund lost $77 million due
to ownership of risky shares in
stock of a Russian company.
Actually, the supposed $77 million
in Russian stock was a $27 investment
(dollars, not millions of dollars)
in a bond from a Russian
bank which was in default of its
interest payments; the Pension
Fund’s total loss was $9.00."

sawdusttv

Go to the TDU website . They are saying hall announced that a contract settlement would be complete "soon". There is a link to the speech where he supposedly said this, but I didn''t see where he said that. But then again, I have been on the road all night.

I guess you're talking about the hall that was thrown out of the IBT for embezzling members money, the same one that is now a BA in lacal 391, and the one that was recently caught stealing an APWA\ NLRB ballot box out of the Winston Salem, NC Center breakroom.
Ya, we can really beleive what he says!! NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember, one should always turn down the first offer in contract negotiations, because the first is never the last and best offer.

sawdusttv

I guess you're talking about the hall that was thrown out of the IBT for embezzling members money, the same one that is now a BA in lacal 391, and the one that was recently caught stealing an APWA\ NLRB ballot box out of the Winston Salem, NC Center breakroom.
Ya, we can really beleive what he says!! NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember, one should always turn down the first offer in contract negotiations, because the first is never the last and best offer.

I was mistaken, I always get hall mixed up with Chip Roth. The Teamster officer that I was thinking of is Chip Roth not hall, All though I trust each equally.

705red

Browncafe Steward

Why was it in the breakroom? What managers turn was it to watch it? And who moved it out of the managers office?

Braveheart

Yeah all those things happened to the market, but why was CS the one that took the hit?! It didn't happen across the board with all pensions in the Teamsters! CS once again took a big hit, and if the past is an indicator of the future it isn't unreasonable to believe it happened again. Either way they are paid to maintain and improve the funds there and they failed their obligations. Yes I have 401k.
Very good points.

Braveheart

From what we were told by one of the negotiators, especially with the CS buyout offer now on the table, the contract is far from being done. The company will try to get the employees worked up about the Pension offer, and force the union to actually offer it to its members. I think it is far from being done, a lot of details need to be worked out.
What CS buyout and what does that mean for us?

Braveheart

Your right about that, how can they go into battle against ups with school girls like you for back up. Give me an A, give me a P, give me a W, give me a A, APWA in the house girlfriends.
I just want to say that I do not have anything to do with the APWA or whatever that Bull**** is. I just never trusted Hoffa and I have never voted for him. He bluffed the last contract and we have had our dues raised from 2X to 2.5X our hourly wage. The richest, best contract ever came with reduced pensions, reduced medical coverage, and increased out of pocket costs only 1 YEAR INTO IT! I have been the attack of more BS and harrassment under this contract than any other.
I just think Hoffa is a big Bluffer!

Cole

I have been the attack of more BS and harrassment under this contract than any other.
I just think Hoffa is a big Bluffer!

Yeah all talk, but that's what we get when people vote for someone's name, rather than credibility from experience. He's never done your or my job, just carries his Dad's name.

How har did Hoffa go up to bat for us last contract? How hard do they go up to bat on the large scale for us?

And "Aye I shoulda remembered the rocks" (puts on best Scottish accent);)

705red

Browncafe Steward
Yeah all talk, but that's what we get when people vote for someone's name, rather than credibility from experience. He's never done your or my job, just carries his Dad's name.

How har did Hoffa go up to bat for us last contract? How hard do they go up to bat on the large scale for us?
Brother cole hoffas last win wasnt due to his namesake, it was lack of a real canidate, i only wish sandy pope would have ran the top spot over leedham. To most of the membership it didnt really matter who won, and thats why it was the lowest turnout in history. But it is what it is and he won and i will support him and see who will run next election.

sawdusttv

Are you just playing dumb, or is it for real? Everyone knows the rules. The teamsters, the APWA and any other union is allowed to hand out info and ballot cards at the gate a non-work area , the breakroom is considered a non-work area also and just like the teamsters, they are allowed to conduct union business in all non-work areas.

brett636

Are you just playing dumb, or is it for real? Everyone knows the rules. The teamsters, the APWA and any other union is allowed to hand out info and ballot cards at the gate a non-work area , the breakroom is considered a non-work area also and just like the teamsters, they are allowed to conduct union business in all non-work areas.

You just want to ignore the fact that the APWA is NOTa union.

Cole

Brother cole hoffas last win wasnt due to his namesake, it was lack of a real canidate, i only wish sandy pope would have ran the top spot over leedham. To most of the membership it didnt really matter who won, and thats why it was the lowest turnout in history. But it is what it is and he won and i will support him and see who will run next election.

I meant the first time he won. I wouldn't say Leedham was not a real candidate, I would say he didn't have the funds, probably due to low expectations of defeating an incumbent.

Brett neither were the Teamsters nor any other unions until they got voted in. ;)

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
Anyone that runs against Hoffa will probably loose unless they have an infinite amount of Money !
This loyalty to someone who represents the bargaining power of our future that puts our money (Not theirs) in Central States and continues to decrease in value thus creating uncertinty for those who anticipated a nominal retirement. Those that our receiving now at full value and those in the next generation having to work longer under more extreme conditions (package car drivers) and have a lot less security. I suggest that all multi-employer funds take on the responsibility of helping out their brothers but letting Hoffa redistribute the good funds to the bad funds and see how friendly those are ? It will never happen therefore you see why the other option has surfaced. There is no easy answer and no one wants to do without ! Its not Hoffa`s fault for this situation has happened and its not the Company`s fault becasue they paid out what was negotiated - yes. Western fund seems to be ok ! Central States seems to be the problem - right ? Pilots seen this coming down the pike so they made adjustments and have come out very well ! UPS hourlys will have to do the same to survive. Not everyone will be happy with the outcome because no one ever is ! I don`t see my teamster brother vowing to help out the central states fund to keep it going ? Now you see why another option is the only way to go . Gregare stated that the fund is to far gone to fix !

brett636

I meant the first time he won. I wouldn't say Leedham was not a real candidate, I would say he didn't have the funds, probably due to low expectations of defeating an incumbent.

Brett neither were the Teamsters nor any other unions until they got voted in. ;)

While I understand that, sawdust did say the breakroom was a non work area to conduct union business in. Being that nobody that I know of has ever voted for the APWA, and they have not won collective bargaining rights with UPS employees they are not a union and therefore do not have any rights to conduct any business on UPS property.