Contract...Passing ?

BrownShark

Banned
If this contract passes, new hires will be earning $8.50 an hour in the year 2013, with no medical benefits, holiday pay or sick leave for their first year.

Frankly, I find that an abomination. It's reason alone to vote NO.

But there are other reasons as well, starting with substance versus promises. Our meager pay raises are there for all to see, in black and white, even if some of us are still struggling to understand "split pay raises." But most of the stuff the Teamsters are most proud of - namely pensions - is more vague.

Let's face it, figures dont' lie, but liars do figure. There are SO many games UPS and the Teamsters can both play with pensions. If you're due to retire in a couple years, this might be an OK contract for you, but for those of us who have 20 or 30 years to go it's another story.

Look at the big picture. We're living in the age of globalization, and we've seen the dirty tricks corporations like Enron, Haliburton and Microsoft play. I spent sixteen years in education, only to watch my profession sold out by the National Education Association.

So as a new UPS employee, I'm not quick to trust UPS or the Teamsters. I actually enjoy my job, but I bitterly resented being forced to pay union dues during the first three months when I was getting NOTHING from the union, and I've had some additional experiences that tell me the Teamsters may be more foe than friend.

I'm voting NO.

Brother Liberty Bear,

I can understand your position as you wrote, but as a former executive officer of the 2nd largest local in the Teamsters, let me explain a little about your "dues" in the first three months.

First, I understand that you may not have recieved any "benefit" from the deductions, but this is a brotherhood of employees.

Your money goes to pay for many things. Lets say your union dues were $21.50 a month and you worked for 12 months. That would total $258.00. Ok, you get fired in your 13th month. You lose your local hearing and arbitration is your next step.

The cost of this is roughly $2500.00 to put on. You only paid $258.00 into the fund that covers this issue. That would not cover the cost of your case, are you willing to chip in the balance between your $258.00 and $2500.00???

Of course not, thats why a brotherhood. We all share the burden of each others problems. Your problem is my problem. My intentions for my dues are to apply them to the membership and maximize the use of the money towards that end.

Just remember, there are huge costs involved representing 100's of employees. We all share the burden equally.

Now I know that there have been many "shady" locals taking and abusing dues, but thats not what happens everywhere.

For the most part, it takes money to protect the employees from the daily hassles of management exploiting some part of our contract.

Dont take your deductions too personal and remember that your contribution may have saved someones job.

As for the contract, I agree, this particular contract looks shady and its language is vague and concerning.

We all need to give it our attention and inform each other to vote before it passes and we are stuck for 5 years.

Peace.:thumbup1:

705red

Browncafe Steward
Brother Liberty Bear,

I can understand your position as you wrote, but as a former executive officer of the 2nd largest local in the Teamsters, let me explain a little about your "dues" in the first three months.

First, I understand that you may not have recieved any "benefit" from the deductions, but this is a brotherhood of employees.

Your money goes to pay for many things. Lets say your union dues were $21.50 a month and you worked for 12 months. That would total $258.00. Ok, you get fired in your 13th month. You lose your local hearing and arbitration is your next step.

The cost of this is roughly $2500.00 to put on. You only paid $258.00 into the fund that covers this issue. That would not cover the cost of your case, are you willing to chip in the balance between your $258.00 and $2500.00???

Of course not, thats why a brotherhood. We all share the burden of each others problems. Your problem is my problem. My intentions for my dues are to apply them to the membership and maximize the use of the money towards that end.

Just remember, there are huge costs involved representing 100's of employees. We all share the burden equally.

Now I know that there have been many "shady" locals taking and abusing dues, but thats not what happens everywhere.

For the most part, it takes money to protect the employees from the daily hassles of management exploiting some part of our contract.

Dont take your deductions too personal and remember that your contribution may have saved someones job.

As for the contract, I agree, this particular contract looks shady and its language is vague and concerning.

We all need to give it our attention and inform each other to vote before it passes and we are stuck for 5 years.

Peace.:thumbup1:

Good post brother. What local are you with?

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
Brown Shark, Nice levelheaded explanation to our new young teamster brother. That kind of dialogue helps to explain how we're all in this together, it affects all of us.

steamroll

thats is the most lamest and selfish comment yet.

Back on topic, UPS stives for service and quailty but yet wont give a pay increase in starting out as P/T? Thats rubbish, if they would pay more you would get more quailty of people. 75% of the new hires don't care about the job. Tons of stuff is done half ass and not to mention how much stuff gets damaged.

Some one mention you would also get bad people with the good if a pay increase was made. Well that might be true, but management would have to step up a notch to weed the bad ones out. But i doubt most would do that cause all they care about are their numbers.

Since I do the damage inputs for my center, i can not believe the stuff the preloaders will load for the drivers. Who in their right mind would load a box that looks like it has been ran over by a simi truck?

UPS used to be very picky on who they hired cause they wanted quailty. Now they dont care who they hire, as long as it is a warm body and breathing.

No they want to extend the health benefits out further? What a load or rubbage. If this contract stays, the turn over will be worse then it is now. Our center is so desperate now they got kids from high school working.
Its not a bad thing but, they don't understand the union stuff so we are trying to educate them as much as possible. Since most of out shop stewards are out on injury most of our center is left in the dark.

Most places you might have to wait anywhere from 3-8 years to go FT. Well at ours you can go FT any where from 8months to 1.5 years if that tell you anything.
What happen to this contract going to be geared towards the part timers? Yeah it is geared alright, a slap in the face. Teamsters are no different than UPS, its all about the money. Not like it used to be where it was all about the employee's.

So lets say this does go though, even though its just the first draft, but lets say it does. What does this make you think of teamsters? Why should we bother with their dues that we pay to help us with our rights?
at times i process a lot of damages in e.t.t. & customers are upset that they received their merchandise missing contents or damaged. one ups security(lp) thought that the missing contents were being pilferaged. but what's happening clerks are being pressured to get rid of the packages because the center manager don't want any packages sitting around. instead of doing things the right way, waiting checking with overgoods dept. to see if the missing contents show up. it sucks your center has hardly any stewards presents, so i guess it's a ups steamroll. the key is if any changes are to be made. those part timers must be organized & well informed. the ron carey days are gone when it was about taking care of the members. just look what was lost from the 1997 strike gains. with jim hoffa jr. the union is being operated as business & from ibt convention in 2001 with the 2 1/2 times of our hourly rate union dues increase. so basically a p/t er could be pay friend/t union dues.