Contract raise question?????

LuvWV

Here is my question. The contract says we are to get .70 cents in 2008. We did not get the 1st half in Feb. So why won't we get the entire .70 cents on Aug 1st? If they only give us .35 cents on Aug. 1st they are cheating us our of half of our 2008 raise. Can anyone explin how they can do this?

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
Your kidding with this question right?How long have you worked here?Aug 1 is the start of the 1/2 raise,Feb 1 is the other half.What is it that you can't understand?

outamyway

Our last wage increase, according to the contract, will be on Feb. 1st 2013.

Do the math. It is one raise per year. Well, more like a half a raise every six months.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Here is my question. The contract says we are to get .70 cents in 2008. We did not get the 1st half in Feb. So why won't we get the entire .70 cents on Aug 1st? If they only give us .35 cents on Aug. 1st they are cheating us our of half of our 2008 raise. Can anyone explin how they can do this?

We will get .35 on Aug 1 2008 (no COLA--sorry boys and girls).

We will get .35 on Feb 1 2009 (COLA does not apply)

The only portion of the new contract that was not implemented were the economics.

705red

Browncafe Steward
When you voted on your contract...you did read it first...right?

N

new driver

I am going thru progression will i get a contract raise or not till i hit top rate

tourists24

this raise is not an actual .70 raise either (just packaged that way to pass). In reality it's more like 52.5 raise for the 12 month period.

Fnix

So part timers get two 35 cent raises per year plus the 50 cent yearly seniority raise? $1.20 raise per year?

bellesotico

BOXstar
I am not kidding it says we get .70 cents in 2008. Next Feb is 2009. I have worked here 21 years.

It's all in the language...

Section 1. Full-time Wage Increases
All full-time employees who have attained seniority as of August 1, 2002 2008 will receive the
following general wage increases for each contract year. In each of the years, the increase shall be
paid in two (2) equal installments. The first-half of the increase shall become effective on August 1
of the specified year
. The second half of the increase shall become effective on February 1 of the
following calendar year.

It's really confusing how they worded it, but if you piece it out...like how I underlined and used bold font, it becomes a little more clear. Hope this helps :)

tourists24

Ya know, that is one question I have yet to see answered on this forum. Any takers?
the answer is in sec 5 of article 22....

"All part time employees who have attained seniority as of August 1, 2008 will receive the following general wage increases for each contract year. In each of these years, the increase will be paid in 2 equal installments. The first half of the increase shall become effective on August 1 of the specified year. The second half of the increase shall become effective on February 1 on the following calendar year. The total wage increase for each year will be as follows:"
2008 .70
2009 .75
2010 .75
2011 .85
2012 .95

this is all that is stated in the master... the .50 per year is for new hires or those not having seniority as of August 1 2008.

As to those wondering why we didnt get .35 this past February, we were still working under the old contractual wage increase we received August 2007

iowa boy

tourists24,

If someone is still in progression does that mean they get their 50 cents a year on their seniority date in addition to the raises you quoted? I know the article you quoted says something about that but im not sure I understand the choice of words used in the contract.

tourists24

tourists24,

If someone is still in progression does that mean they get their 50 cents a year on their seniority date in addition to the raises you quoted? I know the article you quoted says something about that but im not sure I understand the choice of words used in the contract.
part time workers in progression will work under the old contract language until August 1 2008 (which is when the new contract language becomes effective). This is when the .50/year schedule takes effect. In other words, old contract language til August 1. New contract language:

start 9.50 8.50
start plus 90 calendar days 10.50 9.50
seniority + 1 year 11.00 10.00
seniority + 2 year 11.50 10.50
seniority + 3 year 12.00 11.00
seniority + 4 year 12.87 11.87

Try not to add anything in to it... if you are still in progression as of August 1, you will probably be making 10.50 or 9.50 period (after 90 calendar days of work) or whatever time slot fits your situation

bellesotico

BOXstar
tourists24,

Iowa boy..

The NMA language at times can be really confusing. I had to go over it numerous times with a highlighter and take notes just to figure out which way to vote! :)

Tourists is right. You will continue to recieve wage increases according to the previous NMA. Effective Aug. 1, 2008 (this coming Friday) you will follow the progression schedule set in the current NMA. You will find that the progression schedule in the new agreement looks pretty darn similar to the old agreement :surprised:

iowa boy

Iowa boy..

The NMA language at times can be really confusing. I had to go over it numerous times with a highlighter and take notes just to figure out which way to vote! :)

Tourists is right. You will continue to recieve wage increases according to the previous NMA. Effective Aug. 1, 2008 (this coming Friday) you will follow the progression schedule set in the current NMA. You will find that the progression schedule in the new agreement looks pretty darn similar to the old agreement :surprised:
Ya know, I read the contract and to this day understand about 80 or 85 percent of it, but some of the legal mumbo jumbo they put in there makes this guy scratch his head in utter amazement at times.

btw, thanks for the replies, both you guys or gals

Last edited: