Contract rumor 2 tier and Grandfathering PTimers

UPSGUY72

upsguy, how much longer do you think we can remain competitive with an ever-growing Ground if we don't do something now to address the wage disparity? We have already heard that they have secured the balance of the Walmart volume.

I am still trying to understand how such a wage system could be implemented while grandfathering in current employees. This would mean that only future hires (those hired after the ratification date of the new contract) would be affected by this proposal so, in essence, we would be selling out the unborn.

Walmart switch to Fed Ex because UPS is unionized The Walton's Net worth would drop if Wal Mart workers Unionized. The Post Office is free falling off a Cliff with out a parachute and FED EX is having some financial problems as well. UPS is making Billions of dollars and you want to give up something for no apparent reason than a what if. IF they want to extend the time it takes to make top rate so be it. But a two tier pay system should be a none starter for any negotiations. You give then a 2 tier pay scale and they will want a 2 tier Health insurance plan, ETC....

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
My best friend whom happens to be president of our local, my BA and the secretary treasure who are all on the national negotiating committee say that the original poster is 100% correct that it is a rumor. Wages to be discussed after the new year.

-Bug-

stink219

upsguy, how much longer do you think we can remain competitive with an ever-growing Ground if we don't do something now to address the wage disparity? We have already heard that they have secured the balance of the Walmart volume.

I am still trying to understand how such a wage system could be implemented while grandfathering in current employees. This would mean that only future hires (those hired after the ratification date of the new contract) would be affected by this proposal so, in essence, we would be selling out the unborn.
Holy :censored2:!!! Did hell freeze over? I actually agree with upstate's comment.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
How much longer do you think we can remain competitive with an ever-growing Ground if we don't do something now to address the wage disparity?

I know you have been posting that "thought" for quite awhile....

But... How much money do you think that is ?

It's nothing.

Pennies on the Dollar.

Less than that.... It goes into the .0000 percentage of cost vs. earnings.

-Bug-

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I know you have been posting that "thought" for quite awhile....

But... How much money do you think that is ?

It's nothing.

Pennies on the Dollar.

Less than that.... It goes into the .0000 percentage of cost vs. earnings.

-Bug-

Sorry BUG but I did not understand that.

Could you throw some numbers at it so I can follow.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

It's OK.... Now get in here.... Ya, big lug

2vjei2x.jpg

-Bug-

UPSGUY72

Could you throw some numbers at it so I can follow.

make upstate could throw some number into the pot too.....

Either way we make a DECENT living on the amount of money we make and we earn every dam penny of that pay. By entertaining the idea of 2 tier pay system your basically saying that we are getting paid to much right now.

The middle class is disappearing because pay isn't keeping up with the rising cost of things. I'm will never vote for a 2 tier pay system or for a freeze in raises.

UPS isn't hurting by any means. Ups is making billions of dollars a quarter. Accounts change Shipping companies for a number of reason some for price some for beliefs ( because UPS is unionized ).

The new thing this week is that UPS is cutting schools for management and there not paying miles for management anymore.... We were suppose to have a internal safety audit this week but according to my SUP it would have cost the company money so it was canceled... I guess the billions of dollars isn't enough....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have thrown numbers in to the pot---$15/hr to start, 5 year progression, $25/hr top out--which would apply to any new FT hire as of the ratification date of the contract (no grandfathering).

purplesky

2 tier will not happen on this next contract. UPS is making way too much profit to even consider it.

This next contract will be quietly settled in advance and both parties will feel like they got a fair deal.

Now if UPS wants to play hardball and wake up the union giant that has been asleep it might not be a bad thing for America.
But UPS cannot afford a shutdown and neither can most UPSERS and FDX couldn't handle the volume of a shutdown.

Online shopping growth will continue to grow at a rapid pace and the eventual shutdown of the Postal service(sooner than later) will allow for a good contract that allows UPS to continue to make billions in profit each quarter and expand Globally and give UPSERS a decent pension,healthcare, and the top pay in the shipping industry.

It aint broke. So don't fix it.

I thought for sure that FDX would be a bigger problem for UPS in 2012 but they have some serious business model issues and growth issues to work out. They are a very dysfunctional company with service and personal issues.

Strangely enough the union pay company is doing better and Wall street agrees.

anonymous4

What? You are talking about "selling out the unborn" aka people not even employed by UPS right now, while you show no concern for your brother, the part-timer busting his balls for a decade just to be screwed in the last minute? I would like to tell you that you're the biggest maroon I've encountered on the internet yet, but then I realized something..

UPSGUY72

I have thrown numbers in to the pot---$15/hr to start, 5 year progression, $25/hr top out--which would apply to any new FT hire as of the ratification date of the contract (no grandfathering).

So your saying that we are overpaid ???? So once you hit $25 you wouldn't get any yearly or bi-year raises ???? You would stay at $25 for ever ??? Would the current driver still get raises or not ??? Like I said that should be a none starter.... The only thing I would agree upon is a lower yearly pay raise and nothing lover than $.75...

purplesky

So your saying that we are overpaid ???? So once you hit $25 you wouldn't get any yearly or bi-year raises ???? You would stay at $25 for ever ??? Would the current driver still get raises or not ??? Like I said that should be a none starter.... The only thing I would agree upon is a lower yearly pay raise and nothing lover than $.75...

UpstateNYUPSer is a troll. Why do you guys even talk to these people? He is here to disrupt threads. He clearly has an agenda and this website has been over run by trolls.

As I understand it he claims to be in package car? WHAT PACKAGE CAR DRIVER ANYWHERE WOULD COME UP WITH THIS CRAP FOR FUTURE TEAMSTERS AND PACKAGE DRIVERS TO MAKE JUST $25.00hr. REALLY!

UPS is making huge profits because drivers work their asses off and sacrifice their Health and family time throughout their driving careers. The Teamsters help build UPS to make it what it is today and the union should get a piece of the UPS pie. ITS A HUGE PIE!
Several management guys I know VERY well just retired with millions in UPS stock and its so cool to see their hard work and time payoff.
The Union Upsers should expect top hourly pay,good healthcare, and a decent pension.

UPSGUY72

UpstateNYUPSer is a troll. Why do you guys even talk to these people? He is here to disrupt threads. He clearly has an agenda and this website has been over run by trolls.

As I understand it he claims to be in package car? WHAT PACKAGE CAR DRIVER ANYWHERE WOULD COME UP WITH THIS CRAP FOR FUTURE TEAMSTERS AND PACKAGE DRIVERS TO MAKE JUST $25.00hr. REALLY!

UPS is making huge profits because drivers work their asses off and sacrifice their Health and family time throughout their driving careers. The Teamsters help build UPS to make it what it is today and the union should get a piece of the UPS pie. ITS A HUGE PIE!
Several management guys I know VERY well just retired with millions in UPS stock and its so cool to see their hard work and time payoff.
The Union Upsers should expect top hourly pay,good healthcare, and a decent pension.

Leave Upstate alone his misguided at times but no troll.... You on the other hand....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sorry, but you're wrong. His makeup is part troll and that has been well-established.

I am a 23 year veteran who is simply expressing his opinion on what I think UPS needs to do to remain competitive with FedEx Ground. Agree/disagree---I don't really care. The numbers I threw out there were off the top of my head and perhaps are on the low side but the principle remains the same----lower starting rate, longer progression, lower top out. I think we can all agree that something needs to be done to address the wage disparity that exists between the two companies and we certainly know that Fred is not going to raise the ante.

Tooner related how the GM workers in her town went from $30/hr and a pension to $12/hr with no pension.

UPSGUY72

I am a 23 year veteran who is simply expressing his opinion on what I think UPS needs to do to remain competitive with FedEx Ground. Agree/disagree---I don't really care. The numbers I threw out there were off the top of my head and perhaps are on the low side but the principle remains the same----lower starting rate, longer progression, lower top out. I think we can all agree that something needs to be done to address the wage disparity that exists between the two companies and we certainly know that Fred is not going to raise the ante.

Tooner related how the GM workers in her town went from $30/hr and a pension to $12/hr with no pension.

FED EX is starting to run into problems there Express business is really taking a beating. I would bet in the coming years you will see a consolidation of divisions which would change what Labor Act they fall under and make it easier for areas to unionize. Instead of a country wide vote they could unionize locally...

As far as GM the people in the front office of GM still are making millions and they now have profit sharing with the union members each union member got a $7000 check in march...

anonymous4

UpstateNYUPSer, we don't all agree. In fact, the majority don't agree with you, I'd argue the opposite is true. You're a character.