Contract rumor.

bbsam

Staff member
Here is how Obamacare will affect yor company provided plan. You and your company will be paying for FedEx's healthcare (through Obamacare) via personal and corporate income taxes. This is because the fines FedEx agrees to pay are a smattering of what covering their employees will really cost. Meanwhile, UPS will be also be paying a mint for your company healthcare. In the end, FedEx will be able to undercut UPS's rates even further, steal away another 30% of our customers, and the bottom 20% of our hourly workforce will go on indefinite layoff.
Of course, UPS will hire 20% more managers to crack the whip on remaining drivers.
One has to be really blind not to read the writing on the wall.
Only if the union insists on keeping it's "Cadillac Plan".

bbsam

Staff member
Obamacare is a threat. The sooner people accept that cold hard fact the sooner they can drop all of the high hopes for a contract that doesn't address health care. But you were right about getting what you deserve. Everyone that voted for Obama and those that forced Obamacare down the throats of the majority of Americans that didn't want it are slowly, but surely, about to get what they deserve. It just sucks that the rest of us have to be a part of it.
The "rest of us" don't all have the sweet insurance plan you guys do, so yeah, in a way, it sucks to be you.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
If this is true. Not calling u a liar just saying if it is. I don't even understand why we are at the table. There is nothing to discuss really for any part of the proposal it's all a NO.

Its sounding like this will be my last contract. Then outta NY before the ink dries. Hope we have a pension. Union is selling us out. Again. Imo

HOTELDUNORD

First off a 7 year deal is possible. Our contracts have been growing in length over the years. This would believe it or not benefit the company and the union both. I have my own sources and having the wages froze for the life of the contract is correct. However this will only apply to new hires. They are suggesting that all new hire full and part time will start at 14.25, froze til the end of the contract. Part time "new hires" will have no health benefits period-ever. Full time employes who start or are promoted after the the contract will pay the $90 dollars a month. All existing employees will be unaffected and will receive a "generous" raise over the life of the contract. This will make it easy to get the contact thru. Anyone who was around when we voted on the two tier contract should remember the apathy, @$%&! the new hire give me a raise. Their will be no bonus the union is against this big time. Retirees may be offered a buyout. This would be based on their current benefits which can vary across the country. They would pay you a lump sum for 10/15 or maybe 20 years. This money would be coming to you anyway but you would get a lump sum. The down side of this is if they gave you a 15 year buyout come year 16 you would get nothing. So to summarize you keep your health benefits with no change, you get a raise maybe even a couple more paid days. you get an extra option for your retirement.15 or 20 years from now a work force with greatly reduced health benefits and a rate of pay around $20 $25 an hour, after future contract negotiations.

ups hero

If part timers didn't get a raise in the ten years of the contract......who would stay for 8.50 an hour over the ten years with no benefits?????

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Word I'm hearing is that the union has agreed in principle to a 10 year contract. Part timers will get significant wage increases, Full timers not so much. hall stated that after talking to teamsters all across the country he felt confident that the majority of full timers were willing to give up wage increases in order to help the part time work force out. No payment for healthcare but benefits will be scaled back considerably with higher deductibles and co-pays and possibly the loss of vision and /or dental. Possible deal in the works where you could "voluntarily" pay more per week for expanded HC coverage using the company's originally proposed 30/60/90 plan as a template. According to hall this was the best he could do under Obamacare which is apparently going to bankrupt the company if we don't all pitch in and help out.

Then don't have a 10 year contract. Do 5 and see what parts of obamacare actually go into affect. Ill have a job application in at many places if this happens.

804brown

That's basically what hall said. He thought Obamacare was going to be great for the workers but once he sat down and started talking to the company he realized that in reality it was going to force us to make huge concessions on healthcare and there was nothing he could do about it.

Say it with me: S I N G L E P A Y E R !! Medicare For All!!

kingOFchester

I understand. But it is part of the calculus that says there would be no public support for a strike. Insensitive? Probably.

I understand there is some value in public support. But not as much as some people seem to think. We are not government workers. We are not employed by the "people". We are not working for a subsidized company. I agree, we would not get the public support we should get. The public should support those fighting to keep the middle class. The rich are getting richer and the middle class is getting poorer. Again, I agree we wouldn't get much support.

oldupsman

This is not something that is posted anywhere. I know I will get flamed for posting the info. It is from a reliable source. Believe what you want, as this is the internet. But if someone else had this information I would want it posted. THIS IS NOT FACT. But I do have faith in that the information is correct.

UPS wants a 7 year deal
They want NO raises for PT'ers over the life of the contract
They want to eliminate 22.3 jobs when a combo is promoted into feeders/package cars
Earlier health care proposals are still on the table
$1,000 bonus every other year

No need to bash me, I understand that everyone will want proof. But lets at least discuss the rumor.

Word I'm hearing is that the union has agreed in principle to a 10 year contract. Part timers will get significant wage increases, Full timers not so much. hall stated that after talking to teamsters all across the country he felt confident that the majority of full timers were willing to give up wage increases in order to help the part time work force out. No payment for healthcare but benefits will be scaled back considerably with higher deductibles and co-pays and possibly the loss of vision and /or dental. Possible deal in the works where you could "voluntarily" pay more per week for expanded HC coverage using the company's originally proposed 30/60/90 plan as a template. According to hall this was the best he could do under Obamacare which is apparently going to bankrupt the company if we don't all pitch in and help out.
I still have breakfast on Sat. with a couple of drivers who are still working and in my local. Their B.A. told them this week it's a done
deal but told them he couldn't give them any details yet. They were still working on the local supplement but expected that to be done
sometime next week. Again, how true, who knows. But I just can't see Hoffa or Hall going on strike.

kingOFchester

. But I just can't see Hoffa or Hall going on strike.

Unfortunately I just can't see my fellow workers going on strike. From what I hear at work, many are afraid. I am in an unusual position being that the bulk of the family income comes from other sources so I could afford a strike. I am afraid that many others can not.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
. But I just can't see Hoffa or Hall going on strike.

Unfortunately I just can't see my fellow workers going on strike. From what I hear at work, many are afraid. I am in an unusual position being that the bulk of the family income comes from other sources so I could afford a strike. I am afraid that many others can not.

Man I would really be beyond pissed at any coworker that voted yes for this but I agree everyone is scared. Why are they scared? Mostly because they live beyond their means and can't afford time off.