Contract rumor.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Here is how Obamacare will affect yor company provided plan. You and your company will be paying for FedEx's healthcare (through Obamacare) via personal and corporate income taxes. This is because the fines FedEx agrees to pay are a smattering of what covering their employees will really cost. Meanwhile, UPS will be also be paying a mint for your company healthcare. In the end, FedEx will be able to undercut UPS's rates even further, steal away another 30% of our customers, and the bottom 20% of our hourly workforce will go on indefinite layoff.
Of course, UPS will hire 20% more managers to crack the whip on remaining drivers.
One has to be really blind not to read the writing on the wall.

What fines will Fedex be paying?

They offer healthcare.

thedownhillEXPRESS

I think all the ridiculous offers and posturing and general wasting of time and energy has everything to do with the fact that the negotiations are taking place in Florida.

Think about it. Both sides are able to enjoy nice hotels and amenities on an expense account. When they arent "negotiating", they are playing golf or walking on a nice sunny beach or hanging out in a nightclub far away from home.

If we want them to get serious...then from now on negotiations should be taking place in Fargo, North Dakota. In March. Make them stay in some ratty old Motel 6 by the freeway (2 to a room), and eat all their meals at the local truck stop. No nightclubs, no golf, no beaches. Hell, no cable TV. Something tells me that such accomodations would add a "sense of urgency" to the negotiation process that is currently lacking.

heck with Fargo, stick em in a room with Upstate at the days inn in Watertown for a couple hours....

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Word I'm hearing is that the union has agreed in principle to a 10 year contract. Part timers will get significant wage increases, Full timers not so much. hall stated that after talking to teamsters all across the country he felt confident that the majority of full timers were willing to give up wage increases in order to help the part time work force out. No payment for healthcare but benefits will be scaled back considerably with higher deductibles and co-pays and possibly the loss of vision and /or dental. Possible deal in the works where you could "voluntarily" pay more per week for expanded HC coverage using the company's originally proposed 30/60/90 plan as a template. According to hall this was the best he could do under Obamacare which is apparently going to bankrupt the company if we don't all pitch in and help out.

You lost all credibility with your last sentence. You're off the island, fella...

Its easy to explain what its like to work for UPS. They already see me rolling home at 8pm. They see me when it snows rolling home at 9-9:30 at night and then snow blowing my driveway. They know I can't play softball anymore because I can't get off to play the 1st game. They don't see me at the little league games, the school plays or other functions. They see me have to cancel on them because I can't get an 8 hour or got screwed on my 8 hour. They know when I have to call in sick just to be able to participate in a 7:00 event.

My friends, family, and even customers know I get paid well, but they also know what I can't do because of it.
And that's why we get paid well. If the company starts paying there employees crap then they will get crap service. Even with the new technology. It would go from a sheet sandwhich to a sheet souffle, still sheet. They have been treating there employees and customers like sheet and blame it on the economy and still make billions. If they start shafting us now then say good bye to those billions. The fedex guy on my route told me the word from his sups is they are hoping they shaft us. It would lower the moral in the work place. He said that's why we work hard. It's for the big three, PAY, BENEFIT'S and PENSION. That's why I stayed in stead of bing a cop.

Dracula

Here is how Obamacare will affect yor company provided plan. You and your company will be paying for FedEx's healthcare (through Obamacare) via personal and corporate income taxes. This is because the fines FedEx agrees to pay are a smattering of what covering their employees will really cost. Meanwhile, UPS will be also be paying a mint for your company healthcare. In the end, dEx will be able to undercut UPS's rates even further, steal away another 30% of our customers, and the bottom 20% of our hourly workforce will go on indefinite layoff.
Of course, UPS will hire 20% more managers to crack the whip on remaining drivers.

Or ignorant to believe this post. Please, sir, I ask you to demand a refund for your subscription to The Wall Street Journal.

Dracula

That's basically what hall said. He thought Obamacare was going to be great for the workers but once he sat down and started talking to the company he realized that in reality it was going to force us to make huge concessions on healthcare and there was nothing he could do about it.

OK, let's just humor you, and say that this is true. So hall, negotiating on our behalf, hears UPS say this will cost us concessions. Now, hall, at this point, craps his Depends, and agrees to everything UPS says? So, then, why didn't he fill his Depends when UPS demanded us to pay for our insurance? Do you ever read to the end of a paragraph and start to think for yourself?

If you really are a union member--and I'm doubting this--then we have some terribly ignorant people on our side. No offense.

Dracula

The point is, you won't be told the truth about what the company is proposing. Union bosses were flat out lying to us in 97 about part time jobs when everyone with a pea-brain knew it was about mulitiemployer pensions. Not saying we can't or shouldn't vote no the first time around, just saying make the union prove to you what they claim the company is offering, and then make up your own mind. Let's not be fools this time. Show up at the meetings, and vote NO on any strike authorization vote.
And just remember, strike 97 is why FedEx was created, and the bottom 15% of our workforce never returned to UPS.

Don't you have a management meeting to attend? Probably, you should worry about your upper management cronies cutting your job for a specialized software program.

What I hear is this.

We won't pay for our healthcare.
Raises
$2500 for twenty five years
$3000 for thirty years
3500 for thirty five years

triple time for over nine five grievances
$400 dollar penalty pay for article 37 grievances where the company agrees to comply and $200 hundred for a parties agree to comply ruling.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
What I hear is this.

We won't pay for our healthcare.
Raises
$2500 for twenty five years
$3000 for thirty years
3500 for thirty five years

triple time for over nine five grievances
$400 dollar penalty pay for article 37 grievances where the company agrees to comply and $200 hundred for a parties agree to comply ruling.

the raises make no sense. If health care and all are going to cost ups sooooo much more in the future why would our raises be more moving forward and not less.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I did enjoy reading this thread :). But UPS didn't offer a 10-year term nor did hall blame the health care issue on ObamaCare. If the decline of UPS's competitive position accelerated over the next 4-5 years -- which is completely possible now that FedEx Ground is sitting on oddles of capacity -- a 10-year deal would handicap it from seeking step-concessions from the Teamsters. And the burden of the health care costs has been an issue with UPS for many years before ObamaCare materialized ... Hall simply isn't going to say anything that would sway rank-and-file to the Right next election cycle, since such move could have devastating consequences on the union in multiple areas.

Did
Not
Happen

northbound

Here is how Obamacare will affect yor company provided plan. You and your company will be paying for FedEx's healthcare (through Obamacare) via personal and corporate income taxes. This is because the fines FedEx agrees to pay are a smattering of what covering their employees will really cost. Meanwhile, UPS will be also be paying a mint for your company healthcare. In the end, FedEx will be able to undercut UPS's rates even further, steal away another 30% of our customers, and the bottom 20% of our hourly workforce will go on indefinite layoff.

FedEx employees have health coverage

Packmule

Or ignorant to believe this post. Please, sir, I ask you to demand a refund for your subscription to The Wall Street Journal.
The option for companies to provide healthcare, or pay the fines has not kicked in yet. I believe that starts in 2014. When it does, I cannot see Fred S paying one dime more for his employees' healthcare than he has to. He jump to the fines and stick everyone else with subsidizing the true cost.

Packmule

Don't you have a management meeting to attend? Probably, you should worry about your upper management cronies cutting your job for a specialized software program.
Again, the only thing a strike authorization vote does is give away your right to see for yourself what the company is offering, and vote accordingly. Voting down a contract proposal simply means they either go back to the table or strike. Either way, we remain in control, not a bunch of overpaid union bosses that are as untrustworthy as corporate.

Bad Gas!

This is not something that is posted anywhere. I know I will get flamed for posting the info. It is from a reliable source. Believe what you want, as this is the internet. But if someone else had this information I would want it posted. THIS IS NOT FACT. But I do have faith in that the information is correct.

UPS wants a 7 year deal
They want NO raises for PT'ers over the life of the contract
They want to eliminate 22.3 jobs when a combo is promoted into feeders/package cars
Earlier health care proposals are still on the table
$1,000 bonus every other year

No need to bash me, I understand that everyone will want proof. But lets at least discuss the rumor.

I wouldn't vote yes for a contract that rakes the pter's like this..

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
OK, let's just humor you, and say that this is true. So hall, negotiating on our behalf, hears UPS say this will cost us concessions. Now, hall, at this point, craps his Depends, and agrees to everything UPS says? So, then, why didn't he fill his Depends when UPS demanded us to pay for our insurance? Do you ever read to the end of a paragraph and start to think for yourself?

If you really are a union member--and I'm doubting this--then we have some terribly ignorant people on our side. No offense.[/
QUOTE]

So your saying the union wasted millions by backing Obamacare? The union loves O. He wouldn't have lied to them. Just for union cash flow. Suckers!