Contract Rumors...

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I don't recall any federal rule change necessitating early negotiations.

I do recall UPS wanting the Contract wrapped up early to avoid bad publicity. And to have it ratified before the end of the year 2007, so their Withdrawal Liability would be limited to $6.1 billion, and not include the additional billion(s) that they would owe if they withdrew normally at the Contract expiration date of July 31, 2008.

Hoffa and Crew, of course, moved Heaven and Earth to make it happen.

Yes rule changes regarding the Pension Protection Act of 2006 would have gone into effect in 2008 that would have affected other healthy plans like the West because of the failed Central States plan necessitated coming to an early agreement. Bad publicity and certainly the APWA had absolutely nothing to do with it.

U

uber

Negotiations begin Sept 27, 2012. It's hoped that all non-economic issues can be settled by Dec 31, 2012 leaving money and benefits to be hashed out through the 1st half of 2013.

Look for contract updates around Feb or March 2013.

Hot issues: 9.5 language, discipline relating to telematics, Article 22.3 jobs

Retaining full (no weekly cost to employees) medical coverage.

What about the article 22.3 jobs? Are they trying to get them to create more?

brett636

I am very confident that a deal will be struck and a strike averted; however, if we do strike, I will not waste my time standing on a picket line--I have a friend who does lawn care who is always looking for help. This may surprise some of you but I would never even think of crossing a picket line. This does not mean that I would agree with or support a strike--it simply means that I would honor the picket line.

Same here. I believe an agreement will be reached, but if one isn't and a strike is called I will neither be on the picket line or crossing over it. Either or is not worth the headaches or time required.