contract says no cell phones allowed?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Yep they started this in our hub this week. They claim their has been a rise in thief. If you have a phone it must be registered with IE with a UPS security sticker on it. Mainly they are targeting the Preload. A few times I have delivered packages and the contents were missing, and I notified my sup that something was going on. I would find receipts from the box on the shelf in the trucks. This didn't start happening until the switch my loader. It's happen to several drivers.

Sent using BrownCafe App
No big deal to register your phone with LP....

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Yep they started this in our hub this week. They claim their has been a rise in thief. If you have a phone it must be registered with IE with a UPS security sticker on it. Mainly they are targeting the Preload. A few times I have delivered packages and the contents were missing, and I notified my sup that something was going on. I would find receipts from the box on the shelf in the trucks. This didn't start happening until the switch my loader. It's happen to several drivers.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Registering your phone with LP (having to demonstrate the phone is activated and belongs to you and providing the ESN, etc.) and having to have a "UPS" phone sticker is a reasonable request from the company when a lot of their business comes from cell phone service providers shipping new phones worth $500 and up.

Banning phones outright is not.

laffter

Many hubs are banning them for PT'ers due to "security" reasons. It should always be contested under maintenance of standards via the grievance procedure, in my opinion.

We've had too many people in the past have legitimate family emergencies wherein their family members attempted to contact them by calling the listed hub phone number and the company never followed up with informing the employee.

That being said, there are a fair number of people that do abuse their phone privileges (Facebook, texting, etc. on the clock) and that should be addressed individually via progressive discipline (verbal warning, write-up, warning letter, suspension) rather than a sledgehammer solution like banning them from the building.

This is EXACTLY what we have going on here. One girl was caught playing on her phone instead of working and the entire building (excluding management) was prohibited from bringing in a cellular phone. This was months ago and things are slowly dying down, but the whole idea is absolutely retarded :-)censored: off if you're offended by this word- it's quite relevant).

I don't have a cellphone, so I am not affected. But if I did, I would fight it. The bitch should be written up for her bs instead of everyone else being "punished".

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Texting and cell phones are the only way I can reliably get in touch with my supervisor and some fellow mechanics on a timely basis.

beentheredonethat

Many hubs are banning them for PT'ers due to "security" reasons. It should always be contested under maintenance of standards via the grievance procedure, in my opinion.

We've had too many people in the past have legitimate family emergencies wherein their family members attempted to contact them by calling the listed hub phone number and the company never followed up with informing the employee.

That being said, there are a fair number of people that do abuse their phone privileges (Facebook, texting, etc. on the clock) and that should be addressed individually via progressive discipline (verbal warning, write-up, warning letter, suspension) rather than a sledgehammer solution like banning them from the building.

I agree with a lot you are saying. However, when you bring up the first point about contested under maintenance of standards. That is the reason why UPS doesn't want to bend on rules, because once we do then people will grieve if we go back to original rules. It's a lot easier to just say No, then to say OK in certain instances then try to deal with all the one of situations. I see that is why UPS doesn't allow beards. I agree a nice well trimmed goatee or beard looks OK. But there will be people who push the envelope and instead of having to deal with it, then taking it away. We just keep saying No.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

The other issue is the cameras on the cell phone. This is actually the main issue. Buster does not want pictures sent to OSHA. At one point, cell phones were allowed, except that they could not have a camera. If were a camera phone, it was banned.

browntroll

i take my cellphone inside, its the only way to contact sup when a 50ft jam is coming toward me or happens on another belt.
i do use my cellphone for music only and one earphone in only, i take off earphone if working with someone or talking to someone.
the only other time besides jams/messed up belts that i use the phone is when im on break and in break area. not sure how all these
new hires(less then 2 years) got their cellphone passes so quick it took me a few years to get mine.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
My ups New Orleans, says no cell phones allowed at ups starting Aug 1st per contract. Does anyone have information on this. They are switching to a new security contract in the guard shack also with new guards. Man I feel like I am treated like a criminal.
No phones allowed here for insiders.
Lots of people have crappy old plastic candybar phones for this reason. Walk right through the metal detectors no problem. I don't have anyone I want to talk to that much... plus I'm too busy actually doing my job to stand around texting.

brndnpnt

I agree with a lot you are saying. However, when you bring up the first point about contested under maintenance of standards. That is the reason why UPS doesn't want to bend on rules, because once we do then people will grieve if we go back to original rules. It's a lot easier to just say No, then to say OK in certain instances then try to deal with all the one of situations. I see that is why UPS doesn't allow beards. I agree a nice well trimmed goatee or beard looks OK. But there will be people who push the envelope and instead of having to deal with it, then taking it away. We just keep saying No.
Please explain this maintenence of standards. Stupid question but Is there something in the contract about this. Also no one yet said anything about if the cell phone rule was in the new contract like there saying. I don't have a book yet sorry. Some good replying here thansk

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Maintenance of standards language is typically under each area's supplement; it basically codifies some forms of past practice. Essentially, it prevents the company from reducing working conditions/work rules/wages/benefits/etc. without negotiating with the local union. There's usually some boilerplate language along the lines of, "The Employer agrees that all conditions relating to wages, hours of work, and general working conditions, as negotiated or agreed upon, shall be maintained at not less than the highest standards at the time of the signing of this Agreement."

It's not a silver bullet, but it can be used creatively to fight back against UPS doing things like taking away cell phone privileges. It's also rarely used because such a case would almost certainly deadlock at a panel and probably require arbitration between the local and company, which is incredibly expensive and time consuming.

oldngray

nowhere special
Maintenance of standards language is typically under each area's supplement; it basically codifies some forms of past practice. Essentially, it prevents the company from reducing working conditions/work rules/wages/benefits/etc. without negotiating with the local union. There's usually some boilerplate language along the lines of, "The Employer agrees that all conditions relating to wages, hours of work, and general working conditions, as negotiated or agreed upon, shall be maintained at not less than the highest standards at the time of the signing of this Agreement."

It's not a silver bullet, but it can be used creatively to fight back against UPS doing things like taking away cell phone privileges. It's also rarely used because such a case would almost certainly deadlock at a panel and probably require arbitration between the local and company, which is incredibly expensive and time consuming.

Cell phone use is a privilege and not a right so it would be a difficult issue to win any grievance concerning their use.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Cell phone use is a privilege and not a right so it would be a difficult issue to win any grievance concerning their use.

Cell phone use while on the clock for a non-emergency is neither a privilege nor a right. Possessing a cell phone while on the clock when such a practice has existed in a building for years is a bona fide past practice, in my opinion.

It's difficult to win, but most locals won't fight it because it is primarily aimed at and only affects part-timers.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The other issue is the cameras on the cell phone. This is actually the main issue. Buster does not want pictures sent to OSHA. At one point, cell phones were allowed, except that they could not have a camera. If were a camera phone, it was banned.
This is exactly the reasoning. I always try to keep in mind that we work for socio-paths, not normal people, when trying to discover UPS management policy intentions. This cell-phone ban is probably in preparation for peak.

During peak, check out our sort-aisles and preload lines....rather than taking pictures or going through the union/OSHA (hah), we should collectively call our fire departments, and hold these people "up top" accountable that way.