Contract support for retired ups drivers

jware

I dont understand this long term fix. The pension is seriously underfunded, and has been for a number of years. We're only a year or two away from the government taking over the pension, and then everyones amount they'll recieve will be cut in half. If you could tell me just how the pension fund will get funded enough to keep the government from taking controll I'd really like to hear about it.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I dont understand this long term fix. The pension is seriously underfunded, and has been for a number of years. We're only a year or two away from the government taking over the pension, and then everyones amount they'll recieve will be cut in half. If you could tell me just how the pension fund will get funded enough to keep the government from taking controll I'd really like to hear about it.
Jware the government has been involved with the cs pension since roughly 1989. I think the investors made alot of very bad decicions and have been chasing the lost money causing us to the pension to lose more money, now i suggest that we FIRE those investors and hear from other credible investors to see if there is a possible fix.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I never mentioned apwa and don't claim to support them.

The truth is fact. "Lets say if ups eliminates small package?" is pessimistic speculation, not a fact and therefore you are not speaking the truth. It's intention was to change the way Txminer thought by frightening him with worst case scenarios. That is pretty much the definition of a scare tactic.

As for DHL, I do not underestimate them and I doubt that UPS does either. Hopefully they will never be the "big dog", but even if they are the idea is to fix the pension now, not wait for somebody else to come along and "float our pension" thereby taking UPS' place propping it up.

You might want to try and balance some of your pessimism with a little optimism once in a while.... :thumbup1:
Im sure if the people in charge of the funds would have asked similiar questions in the 70s,80s, and 90s we would not be this bad off! You have to look at all possible scenarios for long term outlooks, im like you and hope this company will always be the big dog, but at the same time i see how they only care about the numbers and not the customers right now. If the company keeps up its total disregard for our customers the customers will eventually leave us for other delivery services and then were will we be in a single employer fund? You call it scare tactics i call it a reasonable and possible outcome( i sure hope not).

badpas

Point well taken.I retired due to a heart attack,due to no one fault but my own.I have recovered enough to keep my Class A license,so I am prepared to go out and look for a driving job,if the pension plan goes down the toilet.I don't harbor any resentment about your feelings,however in my 33 years driving,I always felt that the pension fund was secure,and retired in 2003 thinking it was.What ever the workers of today chose to do might change about the time that you are my age. One interesting thing about life is change,for better or worse.

Its good to hear from retirees. I hope everything is going well and it is also very smart of you to keep in touch with current events like this. Its much better to be informed than to be blindsided by something bad.

My dad also retired from the teamsters just recently and has to endore the cuts as well. But you can't know where your going until you know where you've been and after retiring he has paid close attention to what we as upsers do and he is very impressed with how things are handled. Even if not much is resolved the group he retired with would have never even questioned nor dealt with these problems in such a way because as truck drivers they were never home long enough to want to deal with these kind of problems.

So don't feel alone with your pension questions because my dad felt the same way about his pension until he had to retire. Unforetunatly what sometimes happens is everyone feels it will just fix itself or someone else will fix it for them. I'm not saying that was you just refering to what still goes on now. But rest assured, there are enough hard headed people out here, still here, that are going to keep up the fight for whats right no matter what it takes so all workers and retirees can enjoy at least one thing after they've hung up their browns. Thats getting a good laugh at how dorky the new hires are when they come ruuning up to your door all covered in sweat and out of breath not wanting to take 2 seconds to say hey. I just hope I live long enough to see that.