Contract Talks begin 27-September-2012

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I saw on the Teamster site that the talks will open 27-September. I hope a fair agreement can be reached quickly

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
From the article....
“The UPS contract is the largest Teamster contract and the largest collective bargaining agreement in the nation,” said Teamsters General President Jim Hoffa. “We’ve assembled a great team as we head into negotiations, and you can expect that all of the strength, power and resources of the Teamsters Union will be focused on winning strong new contracts for our members at UPS and UPS Freight.” Hall said he expects health care to be a dominant issue in negotiations, especially with continuing rising costs, the pending U.S. Supreme Court decision on the Affordable Health Care for America Act and November’s presidential election.
Hall cautioned Teamsters about the impact that a victory for Republican Mitt Romney would have on health care and pension benefits for union members.
“There will be an attack on Teamster health care plans like we’ve never seen before, mark my words,” Hall said. “Romney has made it incredibly clear how he feels about labor unions.”
Hall said he recognizes the concerns of UPS Teamsters about protecting and maintaining their strong health care benefits, and he will fight at the bargaining table to preserve them.
“UPS Teamsters who are in Teamster plans now will remain in Teamster plans after negotiations,” he said.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Define "fair".

each individual has his/her own definition of 'fair'
my definition of fair is one that the hourly employees are rewarded for their hard work and dedication by favorable language, increase of fulltime positions,retention of benefits and a dramatic in crease of pay and benefits for Part Time employees.................. YMMV

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I understand his position on labor unions, but what does he plan on changing with our healthcare plan?

Ignore Hoffa, he has no idea what he's talking about. If he did, he'd know that Romney, like the idiot we're currently dealing with in the White House, rammed mandatory health care down the throats of the people of his home state of Massachusetts.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Rumblings here are they will offer early retirement. I would assume then also try for a two tier payscale and drastically reduce their wage costs almost immediately.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Rumblings here are they will offer early retirement. I would assume then also try for a two tier payscale and drastically reduce their wage costs almost immediately.

Why would UPS offer early retirement?
I've seen this over and over and nobody has ever been able to present a logical and especially fiscal reason UPS would do that.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
each individual has his/her own definition of 'fair'
my definition of fair is one that the hourly employees are rewarded for their hard work and dedication by favorable language, increase of fulltime positions,retention of benefits and a dramatic in crease of pay and benefits for Part Time employees.................. YMMV

That is really fair if you mean all of them.

Which one are you most interested in?

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
Why would UPS offer early retirement?
I've seen this over and over and nobody has ever been able to present a logical and especially fiscal reason UPS would do that.

Well, to reduce labor costs by bringing in younger workers who will get paid less, have fewer health claims, and work faster. Also, since the pensions are in Teamster pension funds, and can be considered sunk costs to UPS, any 'buy out' funds they need to use will probably be less than the money saved by the stuff in the first sentence.

Oh, and don't forget the fact that younger workers aren't hard-core union, since they haven't lived in a country where union workers were common. That means they will be more susceptible to the whole 'union thug' line being sold so heavily by the right-wing anti-worker machine.

What's not to like?

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
That is really fair if you mean all of them.

Which one are you most interested in?

a dramatic increase in pay and benefits for PT employees. Give these kids a reason to stay with the company, so when old farts like myself retire i can go to the beach everyday knowing the company is going strong.
I can remember years and years ago when i was hired we were told every PT employee is a potential driver,and every driver is a potential supervisor. Lets keep the company strong

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Well, to reduce labor costs by bringing in younger workers who will get paid less, have fewer health claims, and work faster. Also, since the pensions are in Teamster pension funds, and can be considered sunk costs to UPS, any 'buy out' funds they need to use will probably be less than the money saved by the stuff in the first sentence.

Oh, and don't forget the fact that younger workers aren't hard-core union, since they haven't lived in a country where union workers were common. That means they will be more susceptible to the whole 'union thug' line being sold so heavily by the right-wing anti-worker machine.

What's not to like?

If these things were a given, then maybe.
reduce labor costs by bringing in younger workers who will get paid less, - OK that may be a benefit
have fewer health claims, - Paid for by the Union.
and work faster - That is a misnomer - the bustin' only last a few years. Give me an experienced driver who follows the methods and is smooth.

younger workers aren't hard-core union - I'm assuming you are talking about "Closed Shop" states. That might be an intangible but I'm not sure if there is much of a benefit.

I came up in a RTW state and the Union stepped in when an hourly was not treated right. Same pay as elsewhere. If I were an hourly, I would rather work in a RTW state.

Life's too short to live with the hostility of the Union/UPS relationship in areas like Chicago. That has to be suck-ass way to have to live.

That's just me...

upsman2940

How much if a raise would you like to give a part timer? Do you just want them to have a better starting wage? Any raise you give these poor kids will just be a pacifier. We will be having this same discussion 6 years from now! The ptmrs will never have a legitimate chance of going full time unless we force the company to cut the workloads and put the runs back in! We have lost 6 drivers in the last 2 yrs none have been hired to replace them and we still have 8 to 10 go home just about everyday! Start them at $20 an hour and you'd still would have complaints because its not a full time job with full time wages!

upsman2940

I say drop all the pt time insurance and pay them more money! They don't get it for 18 months anyways and most don't make it that long. Besides the chosen one Obama has gotten coverage for some till they are 26 on their parents insurance. Then a good bit don't care about the insurance anyways! Maybe the part timers should have the option of pay or benefits!

I saw on the Teamster site that the talks will open 27-September. I hope a fair agreement can be reached quickly
I disagree. Whatever it is that's presented in front of us we all need to vote a BIG friend A T N O to show our displeasure with the last four years. When are we going to wake up collectively and send a collective no we aren't happy. 1 With how we have been treated. 2 With what they have turned our company into. 3 with how they have changed our lives with their corporate terrorism.

JonFrum

Just a reminder . . .

Our final 95-cent raise will be paid in two installments:

47.5 cents on August 1, 2012,

and

47.5 cents on February 1, 2013.

With no Cost-Of-Living (COLA) raise.