Contract Talks begin 27-September-2012

kingOFchester

UPS Teamsters who are in Teamster plans now will remain in Teamster plans after negotiations,” he said.

Am I the only one who reads this as stating there is a chance that this is the beginning of the so called "tier pay scale"?
Perhaps the $'s will be the same for new hires, but the insurance package will be split?

If nothing else, its an interesting choice of language coming from Hall. Being in his position, I am sure everything he says is carefully worded. If they weren't contemplating having different "plans" for the new hires, there certainly would of been a far better way to state that.

If this is truly the way they are planning on going, then this alone would save UPS $'s. It will also appear, to the new hires, to be less unfair then an hourly dollar difference between drivers doing the same job.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just a reminder . . .

Our final 95-cent raise will be paid in two installments:

47.5 cents on August 1, 2012,

and

47.5 cents on February 1, 2013.

With no Cost-Of-Living (COLA) raise.

You should be thankful that you will see your raise in your paycheck--ours have been diverted to our pension throughout this contract.

tarbar66

a dramatic increase in pay and benefits for PT employees. Give these kids a reason to stay with the company, so when old farts like myself retire i can go to the beach everyday knowing the company is going strong.
I can remember years and years ago when i was hired we were told every PT employee is a potential driver,and every driver is a potential supervisor. Lets keep the company strong

I think those days are long past. Scott Davis wasn't around when this was part of the thought process.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Ignore Hoffa, he has no idea what he's talking about. If he did, he'd know that Romney, like the idiot we're currently dealing with in the White House, rammed mandatory health care down the throats of the people of his home state of Massachusetts.
This is untrue, the people of Massachusetts and the nanny state wanted Romneycare....had he stood in the way, the voters would have rammed him out of office. He's a flip flopping vote appeasing stooge, true, but believe that he isn't ramming anything down the throats of anyone. This is coming from someone who spent 26 of 34 years living in Mass.

curiousbrain

Corporate America, and UPS by association, is in the business of eliminating current jobs, not expanding them. As frustrating and evil as that might seem to some, that is the sad reality of the world. So, when people say "create full-time jobs", the "Employer" will only do so if absolutely forced to; SurePost is the primary example, and it is only growing day-over-day.

Considering the fact that the Teamsters (or any union) are in the business of creating jobs, it might be a bumpy ride. As it always is, I would imagine.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
You should be thankful that you will see your raise in your paycheck--ours have been diverted to our pension throughout this contract.

Which you guys and gals had to vote on to happen...right? Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't your state have a decent monthly payout for retirees??higher than other upsers in other states....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Which you guys and gals had to vote on to happen...right? Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't your state have a decent monthly payout for retirees??higher than other upsers in other states....

Yes, we had to vote on it---I would rather have the money later than today.

We get about $5K/month for 30 years of service.

Big Babooba

I'm sorry----two-tiered payscale---where have I heard that before??
I've seen it before at UPS. A two tier pay scale for part timers was introduced in the early 1980s. Part timers used to earn approximately 35 cents an hour less than a driver. Existing part timers were red circled. New hires came on at $8 or $9 per hour depending on their job classification. That red circle turned out to be a bulls eye on the back of the older employees and most were gone in a couple of years.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I've seen it before at UPS. A two tier pay scale for part timers was introduced in the early 1980s. Part timers used to earn approximately 35 cents an hour less than a driver. Existing part timers were red circled. New hires came on at $8 or $9 per hour depending on their job classification. That red circle turned out to be a bulls eye on the back of the older employees and most were gone in a couple of years.

Looks like you might see it again in 2013.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Yes, we had to vote on it---I would rather have the money later than today.

We get about $5K/month for 30 years of service.

So the money you are putting in...what exactly is that money being used for...also do you have info on how taxes will affect that total..have you looked into it?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So the money you are putting in...what exactly is that money being used for...also do you have info on how taxes will affect that total..have you looked into it?

The money is going straight to our pension fund.

Our most recent retiree is netting $4.4K/month.

My latest pension statement shows an annual pension of $55K with 7 years of contributions still to come.

beentheredonethat

Corporate America, and UPS by association, is in the business of eliminating current jobs, not expanding them. As frustrating and evil as that might seem to some, that is the sad reality of the world. So, when people say "create full-time jobs", the "Employer" will only do so if absolutely forced to; SurePost is the primary example, and it is only growing day-over-day.

Considering the fact that the Teamsters (or any union) are in the business of creating jobs, it might be a bumpy ride. As it always is, I would imagine.

Corporate America is in the business of making money. That's the primary goal of each company. A healthy business wants to grow and grow profitably. Improving productivity does sometimes lead to job reduction, utilizing technology can lead to job reduction. At UPS we used to have thousands of people work in the Delivery Information department looking up hand sheeted delivery records for customers making inquiries. Now, the customer can look at the information of a package online and get an answer back in less then a second. They can even get an image of the signature of a person. This has improved the service to our customer, and reduced UPS cost. Should UPS have kept people working in D.I. just because?

Customers want low cost delivery options, FDX bought the company that was rebranded FDX Smartpost. The volume of packages flowing to SmartPost was increasing at a very fast rate. As a company, UPS had to decide, do we let FDX grow and get all that volume or do we go after the same volume? In this way a UPSer can pick up the volume, process the volume in the hubs and preloads and a UPS driver delivers them to the USPS for final mile delivery. We save on not having to deliver to the end customer. Customers made the decision to reduce costs and at least most of this volume stays within the UPS network, or would you rather we had no Surepost service and let FDX have a virtual monopoly on this service?

Teamsters are not in the business of creating jobs, only companies create jobs. Teamsters are in the business of taking existing jobs and making them Teamster jobs. (For example the often heard phrase that the Teamsters will unionize FDX). At UPS with article 22.3, the teamsters aren't creating jobs, they are simply trying to merge two existing jobs done by PT employees into 1 FT job done by an article 22.3 employee. Ironically, this will mean less total people and less total jobs. If you want more UPS Teamsters, then UPS has to grow as a company we need to pick up and deliver more packages then we do now. We need to take volume away from our competition. (Primarily FDX) If we did this, then we will have more UPS employees of which many are Teamsters. To keep our customers and win new customers, we have to be better then the competition with slightly higher rates, or be cheaper then the competition. Customers may pay a percent or two more for what they consider better services, but they will not pay too much more for it. If you look at the next contract, how much more in total compensation (pay, H&W, Pension etc) can a UPS Driver receive then a FDX driver. Granted, Scott makes a lot of money, but if you look at the vast majority of management, we have lost overall compensation (insurance cost, no raises, reduced MIP etc).

JonFrum

The money is going straight to our pension fund.

Our most recent retiree is netting $4.4K/month.

My latest pension statement shows an annual pension of $55K with 7 years of contributions still to come.
Acording to your Statement, as of Jan. 1, 2011 you earned a pension of $53,592 per year, ($4,466 per month,) payable at Normal Retirement Age.

Normal Retirement Age is usually age 65. Is that your fund's Normal Retirement Age? (The New England fund, for what it's worth, is age 64.)

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Teamsters are not in the business of creating jobs, only companies create jobs. Teamsters are in the business of taking existing jobs and making them Teamster jobs. (For example the often heard phrase that the Teamsters will unionize FDX). At UPS with article 22.3, the teamsters aren't creating jobs, they are simply trying to merge two existing jobs done by PT employees into 1 FT job done by an article 22.3 employee. Ironically, this will mean less total people and less total jobs. .

This approach seems short-sighted. The FT 22.3 jobs are guaranteed in number. The PT (becoming) throwaway jobs, are not.