Contract Talks begin 27-September-2012

beentheredonethat

PT (becoming) throwaway jobs? Until we get to a point of creating robots that can move packages efficiently and it being cheaper then people, inside jobs will continue. Their may be high turnover, but we fill the jobs we need to fill with people. I still believe I argued my point effectively, Teamsters do not create jobs. Their goal is to make jobs that exist teamster jobs, or morph 2 PT jobs into 1 FT job. Only companies truly create jobs.

PobreCarlos

Are the 22.3 jobs actually guaranteed beyond the term of the current contract? And on what basis can a job be "guaranteed" in the first place? If the funding and/or the reason for them disappears (as it has for so many jobs, for various reasons, at other employees places of work in this country), then on what basis will they continue.

A dead chicken lays few eggs...golden or not.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Are the 22.3 jobs actually guaranteed beyond the term of the current contract? And on what basis can a job be "guaranteed" in the first place? If the funding and/or the reason for them disappears (as it has for so many jobs, for various reasons, at other employees places of work in this country), then on what basis will they continue.

A dead chicken lays few eggs...golden or not.

Poor wording....what I should have said was "the number of jobs are specified in contract", unlike PT jobs. No. obviously the jobs are not guaranteed, per se, but they are at least a firm number that, given the alternative of an unknown number of throwaway PT jobs, is improved.

Given the companies financial success, even within the economic downturn, you are arguing apples and oranges when you use "other empoyees places of work". We're not talking about that, we're talking about a consistent profiteer.

Also it seems like a silly argument (not you SCB, but beentheredonethat for ex), trying to argue that the current PT jobs are not well on their way to becoming throwaways? Health benefits now extended to one year in many locations and below minimum wage starting pay in some states...just the beginning, imo. Add to that the cost of living, products, fuel, etc rising well beyond 2007s numbers, it's a no brainer imo.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Acording to your Statement, as of Jan. 1, 2011 you earned a pension of $53,592 per year, ($4,466 per month,) payable at Normal Retirement Age.

Normal Retirement Age is usually age 65. Is that your fund's Normal Retirement Age? (The New England fund, for what it's worth, is age 64.)

Our normal retirement age with 30 years of service is 55. It is 65 if you work fewer than 30 years.

kingOFchester

UPS wants part timers to be high turnover. Cheaper for them. In my district, UPS pays the part time pension.....or so I am told. Your not vested until the 5 year mark. 1yr for health for worker, 18 months for family. Keep the turnover going and it saves mega dollars.

texan

My full time position is an inside manager who deals with salesman everyday (from my company and others) The best I can say about them is if there lips are moving they are lieing. LOL

I dealt with with one (salesman) today. I could not wait to get away from him.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Sober has the Peer 80. When your age and years of service equal 80 you are eligible to retire. I think they get about $3K/month.

why on your statement does it give you 2079 instead of the regular 2080??? Ive noticed that my statement will have 2080.1 or 2079.9 is there a reason for this??

The people in the western conference are receiving more than 3000k a month btw..

upser92

As one of those PT college kids that have been here now for 2 years I gotta tell you raise the wages for PT's $3-4 and slash the insurance maybe a bit. Except for the flu once a year or a sinus infection I don't get sick all that much and most people my age are pretty healthy. We don't need amazing insurance. However a $4 raise would bring most of the young people to around $300 for a week and with the $1,500 a semester there is no reason to leave the union. That's the thing is I see so many people trying to get into management just because loading/unloading pay so badly. This obviously hurts the teamsters so if you can get these raises you'd see less turnover and less jumping to management. Let me tell you these people who have worked for 5 months and then get promoted are just terrible, heck I had to tell a sup what to do yesterday

curiousbrain

As one of those PT college kids that have been here now for 2 years I gotta tell you raise the wages for PT's $3-4 and slash the insurance maybe a bit. Except for the flu once a year or a sinus infection I don't get sick all that much and most people my age are pretty healthy. We don't need amazing insurance. However a $4 raise would bring most of the young people to around $300 for a week and with the $1,500 a semester there is no reason to leave the union. That's the thing is I see so many people trying to get into management just because loading/unloading pay so badly. This obviously hurts the teamsters so if you can get these raises you'd see less turnover and less jumping to management. Let me tell you these people who have worked for 5 months and then get promoted are just terrible, heck I had to tell a sup what to do yesterday

Probably won't be the last time; we know nothing. If I may suggest, constantly tell your sups what to do - it will probably work out in the end.

anonymous4

Good for admitting such things. He's right, you crew know nothing. My supervisors fill out observations that they openly admit are not accurate, do other forms of bogus paper work, break jams and attempt to do a piss poor job at union work for 20 minutes thinking they could hang for the full duration. I can do their job, they can't do mine.

I respect a few supervisors but these are the ones that were standout union employees who thought the grass was greener. They are respected solely because they can do union work well and are also solid leaders. That's all. Nothing else that goes on in their day is anything to be impressed with. The people who can't move boxes for 5 hours go to management very early on for that pay bump and decrease in physical activity. The majority of the time I need to tell the people in my area "good job", "keep it up", "nice work guys" as my PT SUP only says a word when his/her full time supervisor is around, so a good show is needed to appear as if the flock is being led.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Our normal retirement age with 30 years of service is 55. It is 65 if you work fewer than 30 years.
Ours is 30 or 60 for the full pension. You can take an early retirement at age 50 as long as you're vested (either 5 or 10 years, can't remember off the top of my head).

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ours is 30 or 60 for the full pension. You can take an early retirement at age 50 as long as you're vested (either 5 or 10 years, can't remember off the top of my head).

We lost the early retirement and added a minimum retirement age when we voted on our pension rehabilitation plan.

curiousbrain

Good for admitting such things. He's right, you crew know nothing. My supervisors fill out observations that they openly admit are not accurate, do other forms of bogus paper work, break jams and attempt to do a piss poor job at union work for 20 minutes thinking they could hang for the full duration. I can do their job, they can't do mine.

This caliber of post ... is why I sometimes feel a little bit of tieguy in me.