Contract talks

yeldarb

My question is this.
If drivers get a dollar raise like some on here say, and drivers will be at 37.00+, why would UPS not be looking for more options to move packages with Union Pacific or the post office? They are already doing it now. When I started in '89, I got 8.00 an hour and was fully insured after 30 days. 8.00 was more than double minimum wage. Now, 8.50 is barely over minimum wage and the benefits take up to 18 months to kick in. Greed on behalf of the union for full timers will be what kills the teamsters, imo. I am fortunate to have gone driving when I did, and am in the top 10% in a large center. Drivers in the bottom third right now still have no route and often get laid off. If drivers get more money, we likely will be delivering less stops.

Re-Raise

My question is this.
If drivers get a dollar raise like some on here say, and drivers will be at 37.00+, why would UPS not be looking for more options to move packages with Union Pacific or the post office? They are already doing it now. When I started in '89, I got 8.00 an hour and was fully insured after 30 days. 8.00 was more than double minimum wage. Now, 8.50 is barely over minimum wage and the benefits take up to 18 months to kick in. Greed on behalf of the union for full timers will be what kills the teamsters, imo. I am fortunate to have gone driving when I did, and am in the top 10% in a large center. Drivers in the bottom third right now still have no route and often get laid off. If drivers get more money, we likely will be delivering less stops.

So rather than the drivers receiving a raise for delivering the packages you believe the shareholders should receive larger dividend checks? Or maybe they could use their record profits to increase the MIP bonuses they give to management?

UPS will raise rates each year just like Fed Ex will, with or without an increase in pay for the workers.

yeldarb

Is that a copy/paste from last week?
I think it was you that acknowledged last week you WONT follow some of the rules that are being enforced in my center.

I do know this, I would rather make 30 bucks and have a job, than making 40 bucks an hour and have NO job because the post office delivers everything.

yeldarb

So rather than the drivers receiving a raise for delivering the packages you believe the shareholders should receive larger dividend checks? Or maybe they could use their record profits to increase the MIP bonuses they give to management?

UPS will raise rates each year just like Fed Ex will, with or without an increase in pay for the workers.

I posted on that last week on this same thread.
New vehicles for starters, and more emphasis on the part timers. Apparently you didnt read that though.

Re-Raise

I posted on that last week on this same thread.
New vehicles for starters, and more emphasis on the part timers. Apparently you didnt read that though.

You think the contract should cover how many new vehicles the company will purchase? More "emphasis on the part-timers" would be interesting contract wording also.

yeldarb

Don't think I have ever responded to a post of yours before.

It was meant for UPSguy72.
As for my wording, sorry about that. I am not a lawyer. I am a UPS driver who makes comparable to what a new lawyer might make. I am only suggesting that emphasis is put towards the part timers this contract.

Re-Raise

It was meant for UPSguy72.
As for my wording, sorry about that. I am not a lawyer. I am a UPS driver who makes comparable to what a new lawyer might make. I am only suggesting that emphasis is put towards the part timers this contract.

I am a UPS driver with a business degree. Any money UPS saves in the contract on wages will go into the shareholders pockets.

The best thing for UPS part-timers would be more full-time jobs.

yeldarb

I am a UPS driver with a business degree. Any money UPS saves in the contract on wages will go into the shareholders pockets.

The best thing for UPS part-timers would be more full-time jobs.

The best way to get more full time jobs might be not giving UPS more reason or incentive to outsource more full time jobs maybe? We have lost 15 feeder runs to Union Pacific in our building, and most Post offices get 200 packages a day to deliver for us. Do the math. They arent doing that because it costs them more and they just hate us that bad.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Rail is cheap always has been and for some reason companies got away from using it. It's cheaper to pull 50 cars with one engine than one trailer with a truck regardless of what the operators are making. If you think for one second this company is going to say oh well they took a pay freeze we will hire more people your nuts. The fact is we are a public company now and profits drive us. They are always looking for a cheaper option. As for you 25+ year drivers saying oh I don't need a raise well sure you don't your house is paid off or at the very least the payment is nowhere near the percentage of your income it was when you first bought it, kids are gone and well a pay freeze won't hurt you too bad. However us younger folk need raises to continue to live comfortably like it or not the cost of everything rises always has always will so in turn I expect my income to rise.

Re-Raise

The best way to get more full time jobs might be not giving UPS more reason or incentive to outsource more full time jobs maybe? We have lost 15 feeder runs to Union Pacific in our building, and most Post offices get 200 packages a day to deliver for us. Do the math. They arent doing that because it costs them more and they just hate us that bad.

If you don't think you deserve a raise over the next 5 years hoss that is your opinion. Warren Buffett and the other major stockholders in UPS will appreciate your gesture.

Berkshire owns a big part of many railroads too. If they agree to work for less Mr. Buffett can make even more money.

Last edited:

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
the only thing raising FT pay will do is force UPS to divert volume by any means necessary to not pay those FTers

the funniest thing to me is that the same people who bitch about Corporate greed are the same guys pushing to get 30+ dollar/hr jobs, no matter how many PT employees it screws over

at least be honest and come out and say you're out to get yours and to hell with everybody else, don't try to play the morally superior or underdog card

menotyou

bella amicizia
the only thing raising FT pay will do is force UPS to divert volume by any means necessary to not pay those FTers

the funniest thing to me is that the same people who bitch about Corporate greed are the same guys pushing to get 30+ dollar/hr jobs, no matter how many PT employees it screws over

at least be honest and come out and say you're out to get yours and to hell with everybody else, don't try to play the morally superior or underdog card
I wish Scott Davis would take this advice.

reydluap

My question is this.

You nailed it on this post. EVERY time the national minimum raise is increased, we are all actually taking a pay cut. Businesses have to increase their prices to offset the new payrole increases,hense the pay cut. I agree with raising the minimum raise but we all,PT'ers and Full time employees, deserve a raise. PT'ers have been taking a hit over the past few contracts and some wording needs to change in this contract.

ftballer67

I said it before in a previous post, but with RTW taking off again, especially in the Midwest if the Teamsters don't put a decent contract on the table for part timers you will begin to see a mass exodus of dues from the part time ranks which makes up the majority of this company.

I discussed this with a lot of my coworkers after the Indiana RTW passage. 3/4 are ready to stop paying dues if the option becomes available. That's not a good sign considering we are in a very pro union state (Michigan). I would imagine the numbers would look worse in a less union friendly climate.

The reason the majority said they would stop paying dues is not because of the cost, but rather they continue to feel they are being exploited at the cost of the minority(full time drivers) with little to no opportunity to join the full time ranks. For an example, I've been at UPS for 8 years, just saw the first full time bid in 6 years go up. At 8 years seniority there are over 50 people already signed up in front of me and the bid has only been up for 2 days.

So please spare me the "light at the end of the tunnel" sentiment about how this will one day turn into a great paying job once you go full time so let's keep giving everything away to the full timers at the expense of the part timers. I'll probably have 20 years before that opportunity to go full time comes along.

Also I'm not advocating taking anything away from the full time employees, but something needs to be done to even the scales in terms of compensation for the part timers. Otherwise you won't have to worry about them making their voice heard at the union meetings, they will vote with their dues, or in this case lack there of and with the part timers being the majority of the company that will put the union in a very tough spot financially I would have to believe.

brown_trousers

I said it before in a previous post, but with RTW taking off again, especially in the Midwest if the Teamsters don't put a decent contract on the table for part timers you will begin to see a mass exodus of dues from the part time ranks which makes up the majority of this company.

I discussed this with a lot of my coworkers after the Indiana RTW passage. 3/4 are ready to stop paying dues if the option becomes available. That's not a good sign considering we are in a very pro union state (Michigan). I would imagine the numbers would look worse in a less union friendly climate.

The reason the majority said they would stop paying dues is not because of the cost, but rather they continue to feel they are being exploited at the cost of the minority(full time drivers) with little to no opportunity to join the full time ranks. For an example, I've been at UPS for 8 years, just saw the first full time bid in 6 years go up. At 8 years seniority there are over 50 people already signed up in front of me and the bid has only been up for 2 days.

So please spare me the "light at the end of the tunnel" sentiment about how this will one day turn into a great paying job once you go full time so let's keep giving everything away to the full timers at the expense of the part timers. I'll probably have 20 years before that opportunity to go full time comes along.

Also I'm not advocating taking anything away from the full time employees, but something needs to be done to even the scales in terms of compensation for the part timers. Otherwise you won't have to worry about them making their voice heard at the union meetings, they will vote with their dues, or in this case lack there of and with the part timers being the majority of the company that will put the union in a very tough spot financially I would have to believe.

Good point. You cant complain about all this anti-union attitude if the union continues to stiff part-timers in contract negotiations.

And Im not talking about starting pay, im talking about giving part timers with decent seniority some decent raises.

FAVREFAN

If the PTers would show up at the union meetings demanding this instead of Brown Cafe......

Just sayin.
I mean really? You seriously expect guys/gals who get $8.50 p/hr and pay taxes and dues out of that to show up at a union hall meeting? Seriously? Come on. Let's get real here. The reason many part-timers don't give a f__k is because the union doesn't give a f__k about them. $8.50 per hour to load trucks in 0 degrees or 100 degrees. Be happy if they show up 3 or 4 days a week to load the trucks.
Everyone keeps talking about how there are great benefits at UPS, o.k., there are but..... McDonalds offers low cost benefits and free food. Target and Walmart also offer low cost benefits. Oh yeah, climate controlled environments too. What about Starbucks? Good pay and benefits. Home Depot, Menards, Lowes, etc.etc.... On and on we could go with how many other companies are a better place to work for a part-time job. I would never send my kids to work at UPS and risk having a permanent back or neck injury for the chump change they are offering. I would be sending them to any of the companies above. They can get their work out safely in a gym or at home. Not loading medicine balls and TV's for freakin minimum wage. This company is out of control with what it expects from these new hires and newer low seniority employees. We need to fight for $10 p/hr starting pay for these kids/semi retirees/housewives/second jobbers. They are busting ass in bad working conditions. Not stocking shelfs in a climate controlled environment listening to store music. JMHO.