Contract update letter from Teamster

Inthegame

I have to say you and 407 are passionate about this. I like it. But you, 407 and stink are not passionate about a no vote. All the people you are sticking up for ( injured,military and 22.3s ) all would vote no on this. Just jump on broad. We need your vote and passion to sway other members. We deserve better as members. We work to hard for a company that never has or never will lose money. Vote No!!
Maybe we understand a little more than others. As stewards Stink, 407 and I along with many others spend much of our time defending members and learning how to use the language to benefit all. We see the improvements others don't. I'm also older than most and don't believe for a second UPS will never lose. Go down a highway some night and count the number of FedEx trucks driving by. Those all used to be UPS Feeders.

UPS Preloader

You may be right Piedmont and when I get you elected as GP you can make that call. The IBT is frustrated with chickenpoop leaders who sit on their hands when they should be speaking up. To go back to the safety of their locals (89) and talk tough isn't my kind of leadership. Rejecting this TA for legit reasons is one thing but did you know L89 wants their members to be paid from the time they park their cars. I know they have a huge building and need to park a good distance but my grandmother took a friggin bus to work, maybe she should have had the mighty Zuckerman fighting for her. Rejecting this TA will cost a boatload more than accepting it. If we reject and go back, pt's will lose big.

I disagree. How do you figure the PT's will loose if we reject the proposal and send it back to the bargaining table?

stink219

As stewards Stink, 407 and I along with many others spend much of our time defending members and learning how to use the language to benefit all. We see the improvements others don't.
ITG, you are dead on the money!! This seems to be the biggest factor in the contract. As stewards we see much more than just words on paper. This is what we deal with everyday. I'm actually excited to get started on 8/1. Some people just don't get it and that's fine. We still have a job to do beyond their ignorance.

You may be right Piedmont and when I get you elected as GP you can make that call. The IBT is frustrated with chickenpoop leaders who sit on their hands when they should be speaking up. To go back to the safety of their locals (89) and talk tough isn't my kind of leadership. Rejecting this TA for legit reasons is one thing but did you know L89 wants their members to be paid from the time they park their cars. I know they have a huge building and need to park a good distance but my grandmother took a friggin bus to work, maybe she should have had the mighty Zuckerman fighting for her. Rejecting this TA will cost a boatload more than accepting it. If we reject and go back, pt's will lose big.
That's on their supplement talk. The master is for everyone. It could have been negotiated better. Saying that we make great money and be glad for what get. That's the type of talk that would have us making less then what we make now. Or just say be happy you have a job or be happy your not getting whipped. That's the type of talk that keeps the negativity going.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

You bring up very valid points regarding Local 89's revolt.. in this instance, it was likely politically motivated and seemed very top-down from what I've read of it. Zuckerman's motives should absolutely be questioned. However, the rank-and-file action against the TA out West and in Ohio and Pennsylvania is very much organic from what I've heard and seen.

If the membership rejects the TA, we absolutely have to discuss the possibility of losing big accounts and that work going elsewhere. UPS has less "rebound capacity" than they did in 1997, with the presence of FedEx Ground and the cutthroat regional carriers that can get the job done for a fraction of the pay while using the 1099 independent contractor scam.

But most of the folks I directly represent on my sort are a lot of the more senior and seasoned part-timers that have families and have been hanging on for the chance to go FT for the last decade. Many of them have more than ten or twelve years of service and aren't even half-way there to getting into a package car to take advantage of the additional $10,000 in wages "based on a 46-hour workweek at the end of the new agreement." And when they do get their shot, they're going to miss out on $15,000 more in wages from being in progression yet another year; our supplement did not address this.

Our 22.3 jobs are not being bidded out once vacated - they're being sent to other states where it's more convenient for the company to fill them at an air hub. The language keeping these jobs within the local they were created in was in the IBT's opening proposals, but ended up on the scrap heap.

I can't look these people in the eye and tell them they're getting a good deal with this contract.

Maybe we understand a little more than others. As stewards Stink, 407 and I along with many others spend much of our time defending members and learning how to use the language to benefit all. We see the improvements others don't. I'm also older than most and don't believe for a second UPS will never lose. Go down a highway some night and count the number of FedEx trucks driving by. Those all used to be UPS Feeders.
You are smoking rock to think that FedEx is going to surpass Ups. Ups is a machine and FedEx is based on one man that has lost his edge. FedEx is a company that hopes that we go on strike to get a leg up in the world. Look at it this way when Ups went on strike the government begged ups to settle. If FedEx had some nonunion strike The government would just call Ups. Don't get me wrong Ups treats there customers like sheet. FedEx is not that far off. And show me any big moves FedEx has done besides witching to the us and Europe for ups try to grow. Like I said he has lost is edge.

browned out

Somehow the International forgot to include FEDEX 401k match in its "we are so lucky to make so much money, bull spiel. You mean I could go to FEDEX and still make over $60,000 and not have to deal with all the crap; fedex.com/employmentopportunities will be a popular site.

This is a garbage contract full of concessions.

I don't think many UPSers would have problems with concessions if the company was not making record profits.

If it passes; watch for UPS profits to be upwards of 10 billion a year by the end of the deal. The more they make; the more they and the teamsters take.

Our top two demands were to keep the health care the same and to increase the pensions substantially. Now the health care has no maintainance of benefits clause and benefits can be cut at any time. Now all the UPS dollars for benefits go to all teamsters, not just UPSers. At the Union hall contract meeting; rank and file were very contentious. "we did not ask for a raise" Our demands were not addressed. The raise increases dues and revenue for the Teamsters.

What about cell phones??

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
ITG, you are dead on the money!! This seems to be the biggest factor in the contract. As stewards we see much more than just words on paper. This is what we deal with everyday. I'm actually excited to get started on 8/1. Some people just don't get it and that's fine. We still have a job to do beyond their ignorance.
I get it now, you have to be a steward to see all the positives in this TA. BS.

tejano408

this is a bad contract it benefits the central states that don't have a retirement package and will if it passes. But for the 100,000 under the UPS benefit and retirement package it well be a down grade. the teamsters need a benefit and retirement package equal or better UPS current benefit and retirement package. so all our brothers and sisters need to vote no! but we need everyone full time and part time need to mail their ballot with a no vote

rpoz11

I received 2 letters today,One on the contract and one From the Int'l and hall detailing the Union Dues here in Local 89.

OK enough.
Thanx Vette51 for posting that.
I am reading this and ....
REALLY?
Is hall sitting in front of his computer, in his office or at home, navigating the current flow of NO Votes, unhappy workers, and endless rants against the Locals and his office?
Hall....come on Buddy!
Call your HALLS!
Your Hall executive boards will tell you better than relying on all of us here to tell you that you proposal is a disgrace to us working class members.
And, to think that I need to hear that you are sending out letters?
TALK TO US DIRECTLY : HERE!
Communicating with certain Locals and not ALL of us?
Who are you really trying to fool here?
US???
Get yourself up outta your chair and FIGHT for us!
Dont come back to us with some sorta sweet deal that you want us to accept.
People here have lives, Familys, friendships, and more.
I will say I am in the WC.
We are not happy my friend.
Stand UP for US!

RealPerson

You bring up very valid points regarding Local 89's revolt.. in this instance, it was likely politically motivated and seemed very top-down from what I've read of it. Zuckerman's motives should absolutely be questioned. However, the rank-and-file action against the TA out West and in Ohio and Pennsylvania is very much organic from what I've heard and seen.

If the membership rejects the TA, we absolutely have to discuss the possibility of losing big accounts and that work going elsewhere. UPS has less "rebound capacity" than they did in 1997, with the presence of FedEx Ground and the cutthroat regional carriers that can get the job done for a fraction of the pay while using the 1099 independent contractor scam.

But most of the folks I directly represent on my sort are a lot of the more senior and seasoned part-timers that have families and have been hanging on for the chance to go FT for the last decade. Many of them have more than ten or twelve years of service and aren't even half-way there to getting into a package car to take advantage of the additional $10,000 in wages "based on a 46-hour workweek at the end of the new agreement." And when they do get their shot, they're going to miss out on $15,000 more in wages from being in progression yet another year; our supplement did not address this.

Our 22.3 jobs are not being bidded out once vacated - they're being sent to other states where it's more convenient for the company to fill them at an air hub. The language keeping these jobs within the local they were created in was in the IBT's opening proposals, but ended up on the scrap heap.

I can't look these people in the eye and tell them they're getting a good deal with this contract.

UPS knows the risks, if it was a big risk of Losing Amazon, then they should of offered at least the SAME contract with language improvements.
If Local 89 is really being offered $1K now on their supplement, they should still vote the National Down and approve supplement.

Just proves Shady deal, if in fact it is true.

Evil

Inthegame, Stink and 407 only speak in defense of the full-time employees on union health plans and brag about how much they make. But they don't speak in defense of the near 70% of part-timers that make horrible wages and live below the poverty line. They also fail to speak on behalf of Western and Eastern Conference Teamsters that live in more expensive areas and can't afford to pay the new deductibles negotiated under this TA. Over 140,000 of us on superior company health-plans will be affected greatly if this TA passes as opposed to people like Inthegame, Stink and 407 who represent the inferior health-plans of 110,000 UPSers.

Inthegame, Stink and 407 have bragged that this contract will easily be ratified, but they will be in for a big surprise when its all said and done, and after receiving that garbage of a brochure from the IBT we all know they are really worried about it not passing. Instead of the IBT spending money organizing the unorganized, these idiots threw a big chunk of money to sell the membership their garbage.

stink219

I get it now, you have to be a steward to see all the positives in this TA. BS.
No actually you don't. You also have a choice to not be a close minded negative TDU old guard cheerleader creating fear for no reason. You should see things how they exactly are, not worse. Then see it can be better than it is. Then make it better than you see it. That's the recipe of success.
But you and the TDU old guard need to create this fear for your next election. Your negativity has zero to do the with actual contract as it is to create a diversion to divide.
Take article 6 section 6:
No employee shall be discharged if such discharge is based solely upon information received from GPS or any successor system unless he/she engages in dishonesty (defined for the purposes of this paragraph as any intentional act or omission by an employee where he/she intends to defraud the Company). The Company must confirm by direct observation or other corroborating evidence any other violations warranting discharge.
If you can't see how we as Teamsters can use this to deter discipline, then you need more help than I thought. Or it just proves to me that you are a paid TDU troll as 407 first said. So let the big boys handle the important stuff. You can stick to painting that yellow stripe down your back everyday.
Btw,
Ken P TDU president 1976
James Hoffa IBT President 1999
Who is the old guard?

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
No actually you don't. You also have a choice to not be a close minded negative TDU old guard cheerleader creating fear for no reason. You should see things how they exactly are, not worse. Then see it can be better than it is. Then make it better than you see it. That's the recipe of success.
But you and the TDU old guard need to create this fear for your next election. Your negativity has zero to do the with actual contract as it is to create a diversion to divide.
Take article 6 section 6:
No employee shall be discharged if such discharge is based solely upon information received from GPS or any successor system unless he/she engages in dishonesty (defined for the purposes of this paragraph as any intentional act or omission by an employee where he/she intends to defraud the Company). The Company must confirm by direct observation or other corroborating evidence any other violations warranting discharge.
If you can't see how we as Teamsters can use this to deter discipline, then you need more help than I thought. Or it just proves to me that you are a paid TDU troll as 407 first said. So let the big boys handle the important stuff. You can stick to painting that yellow stripe down your back everyday.
Btw,
Ken P TDU president 1976
James Hoffa IBT President 1999
Who is the old guard?
Who are you calling "CLOSED MINDED"? I was for this TA when the first few details came out like pay increases and pension and health contribution raises.
You have been for this deal even before 1 detail came out about it.
I believe you and 407 were on here on the night of April 25th calling hall the GREATEST OF ALL TIME.
That was before 1 detail even was out.
Some people on here are closed minded. Stink and 407 are the only 2 posters that I have encountered so far that are blindly closed minded. The rest of the posters will change their minds if presented with enough facts. Not you and 407, you will be singing the IBT OG song until the end of time.

stink219

Myself, 407 and a few other cats knew details way before the TA came out bud. Just like we are in the know of the policing procedures of this new contract that will be ratified. Some of us know a few peeps on the negotiating committees. You expect the union to hold your hand every step. Be a man!! Be a friggin man!!

Asskicker

Hey stink did you get fired from a job with TDU? Why don't you stop bashing TDU and look at the damn contract they are proposing. IT SUCKS!!! Quit trying to scare everyone into voting yes because we will lose all kinds of business...blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. We are the members who have the last say. PERIOD. If you are scared to vote no you take away all of the power of the members. If YOU, and only YOU don't like this contract then vote NO. You have your vote and are entitled to cast it any way you see fit. Most people are trying to list some of the facts of the contract so people can make a decision. You Stink, are trying to scare people into voting yes for this CRAP. No reason for this other then as I said before.....Hoffa and Hall are sellouts and looking out for their best interests not yours.

And to Mr."Thank you UPS for bailing out the Central States" you have it backwards my friend. Central States was severely underfunded and UPS wanted to take more money, the money that we UPSers put into the Union plan, OUT because they want to hold that money themselves. Can't say I blame them because the Central States is a perfect statement of how crooked Union representation can be. Soooo, our wonderful MR. HOffa allowed UPS to PULL OUT 6.1 million dollars in return for the Teamsters getting the right to organize UPS Freight. Nice huh? So an already bankrupt Teamster pension fund allows one of it's biggest contributors to now pull MORE money OUT of the fund so they can get more members, more dues, etc. All about Teamster money isn't it. I think Hoffa's Fat Ass should bail out the Central States pensiion since he was in charge of the fund when it got MISMANAGED to the point of bankruptcy. Now I think the whole push to put us into a Central States health care plan is all a ploy to earn money back to the fund after Hoffa made a VERY, VERY BAD decision for it's members.