contract

bear123

It never ceases to amaze me, we have 22.3 guys who will go home time worked at a drop of a hat. In fact they will hang around the office and ask "am I extra?". One guy next to me will try and greive if someone goes home ahead of him time worked! These people want the full time benefits with part time hours. They forget what all this time worked will do to their pension. If I get up for work and come in, I'm working. Never understood how people will turn hang around and volunteer to leave without making a penny.

Excellent point old man. that is what I had been trying to convey. These people want full time benefits without working for it. This is totally idiotic.

bear123

We also have a Art 22 driver that constantly works only 2 or 3 days a week del. air. The company won`t do anything about it because they are saving money by only contributing 4 hrs into the pension for him. Most fulltime drivers are pissed because his attitude is he can choose when he wants to work. But he`s always the first to complain if he sees a sup doing teamster work.

Good point Dorkhead--although if I am not mistaken, when you are art.22 you are now under the union pension. I spoke to someone who is on the negoitating committee. She said that the union should get on these full time workers who only work part time becuase they are making everyone else look bad. I say it is the company that should get on these people. They are setting a precedent by not firing or writing these people up. In other words say if a partimer get fired for attendence, he can say, "Hey what about so and so. He has missed a lot of days and he is still working.

A

an anonymous guest

It is my understanding that in order to get the contract negotiated as quickly as possible, and to qucikly establish a strong 'partnership' among the negotiating members, UPS has order 10,000 Snickers Bars to be used at the meetings.

Go UPS!
P71

rapidrandall

slow but sure
Bear123, you asked for facts about negotiations. The national negotiations are scheduled to take place each week through the end of March. At a steward seminar in October hall said if he didn't have an agreement after good faith bargaining he would call it off. My read on this is if there is no agreement by March 31 there is a very good chance negotiations could break off.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Bear123, you asked for facts about negotiations. The national negotiations are scheduled to take place each week through the end of March. At a steward seminar in October hall said if he didn't have an agreement after good faith bargaining he would call it off. My read on this is if there is no agreement by March 31 there is a very good chance negotiations could break off.

Rapid, doesn't the UPS Master Agreement run through August 1st, 2008? Why would he break it off 15+ months before expiration? Unless I'm missing something...-Rocky

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
From what I have been able to gather, the IBT and UPS exchanged non-economic proposals October 19th, the union wanted to negotiate pensions and healthcare first. There has been eight sessions since January 22, with four more scheduled next week. Due to a news blackout, little info has come out, and this is certainly frustrating for union members. According to a TDU contract website, the IBT has been trying to get stonger restrictions and penalties for company violations for excessive overtime, subcontracting, supervisors working, and so on. UPS supposedly has refused to negotiate these points because "it gets into economics".

The bottom line, its still about a year and a half before the current contract runs out. Its way too early to do this, although it would be great for everyone concerned to get it done early. I have always hated contract time, especially the last month or two before they get settled. There are too many rumors and misinformation put out. From my standpoint, I care about retirement benefits being improved. A company match on our 401K would offset pension losses, but IBT couldn't get their hands on it.

Channahon

There are too many rumors and misinformation put out. From my standpoint, I care about retirement benefits being improved. A company match on our 401K would offset pension losses, but IBT couldn't get their hands on it.

A company match on union 401K? Please explain. Would this be in addition to the normal health and welfare contributions?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
A company match on union 401K? Please explain. Would this be in addition to the normal health and welfare contributions?
I doubt that we will ever see anything like a 401K match, thats only wishful thinking on my part. I am in Central States, so the pension problem is a big deal to me. The Teamsters couldn't touch 401K contributions to help out pension plans. There will be only so much money in any contract that has to be divided between raises, pensions, and healthcare. UPS doesn't have bottomless pockets like a lot of people think, and we can't keep raising rates which will drive customers away.

bear123

Thanks rapidrandall--by the way for an up date on the negoitaions, (which will be resumed next week) go to

makeupsdeliver.org

From what I have read the company is stalling on the benefits and pension. the company says they want to look at the economic proposals before discussing this.:confused:1 :confused:1

bear123

From what I have been able to gather, the IBT and UPS exchanged non-economic proposals October 19th, the union wanted to negotiate pensions and healthcare first. There has been eight sessions since January 22, with four more scheduled next week. Due to a news blackout, little info has come out, and this is certainly frustrating for union members. According to a TDU contract website, the IBT has been trying to get stonger restrictions and penalties for company violations for excessive overtime, subcontracting, supervisors working, and so on. UPS supposedly has refused to negotiate these points because "it gets into economics".

The bottom line, its still about a year and a half before the current contract runs out. Its way too early to do this, although it would be great for everyone concerned to get it done early. I have always hated contract time, especially the last month or two before they get settled. There are too many rumors and misinformation put out. From my standpoint, I care about retirement benefits being improved. A company match on our 401K would offset pension losses, but IBT couldn't get their hands on it.

Scratch

The union's stance is exactly what you said. They have over a year to sit tight. Hopefully they will remain that way. If the company wants this settled by March 30 or at least by the time Founder's Day approaches, then the company will deliver what we want.

What scares me though is, if the company start getting nervous, especially when Founder's Day approaches, UPS will try to throw in a signing bonus. This cant happen. This CANT ever happen. If the company offers this, alarm bells should resound in the negioators' heads. They should throw the signing bonus in the company's face and then walk out of the room. This would definitely make a strong statement for the union that we aren't messing around.

For those of you who were around in 1982 and 1985, look what happened there. Workers took the signing bonus and ran. As a result, everyone hired since then starts at 8.50 an hour. What's alarming is the starting rate is still 8.50 an hour. That was over 20 years ago. The starting rate is fast approaching minimum wage status. And UPS is wondering why there is still a massive turnover rate for parttimers.

wyobill

I can assure you the union isn't interested in you get a 401 matching of any kind from UPS. They want that money to go into there multi -employer pension fund so they can take care of there non- ups retires. WE will never see a 25 and out at any age.

Word has it that ups and the union want this contract finished by March 31. Has anybody heard anything rumor or real as far as what is going on or what is being offered?

I had heard one of the first things the company brought up is that art 22 people aren't doing their eight hours. In other words, people are only working half their shift and then go home. What's aggrivating is managers and supervisors are asking if people want to go home and art 22 people are stupidly taking them up on their offers. This is not good because it means the company may not offer another 10,000 jobs; which is exactly what the company wants. In other words, they can go to the union and say, "Hey why offer more 10,000 jobs when the ones we have offered aren't being done.

I am asking all art 22 people to please stay at your job for eight hours. There are some people in my hub that only work 2-3 days a week and the company rather than writing them up, love them for doing this. It gives the company more ammo for their plea of not offering more jobs on the next contract.
By the way the company is keeping count of all the people nationally on who is not working their eight hours, and it is a ton of them.

Comments?
DOES HOFFA AND hall & THE OTHER 2-MEMBER BARGAINING COMMITTE OWN STOCK IN UPS? WHAT IS THEIR FINANCIAL BENEFIT OF THIS CONTRACT?

Was it really necessary to drag up a thread that is 8 months old just to keep spamming your garbage about Hoffa and Hall owning UPS stock?